Unarmed security guard sees CCW, and it's illegal

This is a discussion on Unarmed security guard sees CCW, and it's illegal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Read a story today in the local rag about no CCW on campus in I believe Utah??? But a judge had made the decision that ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed security guard sees CCW, and it's illegal

Read a story today in the local rag about no CCW on campus in I believe Utah??? But a judge had made the decision that the no carry rule on campus violated state law that permitted it and there for the declared the campus law null and void, of course they are appealing it.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Follow or break university(your job) rules at your own discretion. It's your job/life on the line,not ours.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

personally, i would not worry about the good guys that carry legally regardless of where i might be.

just my 2 cents.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    It is illegal to even have the gun on campus so they can't put it in their car and come back in. They have to leave the campus.

If we are talking about OKLAHOMA - I believe you are mistaken.

Oklahoma Self Defense Act - TITLE 21 § 1277. UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES (page 37 )
    http://www.osbi.state.ok.us/PublicSe...wbook_2005.pdf

Permit Holders can leave firearms in vehicle in parking lots.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

DC Founder
    I have seen lots of people wearing hawiian shirts, vests and fanny packs that are not carrying weapons. Hawaii is full of them. I would not turn in anyone that I did not absolutely see with an exposed gun. Either stopping someone or calling police to report any one of these items, IMHO, would be out of line....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Maverick, it sounds to me like no matter what your decision, if a situation becomes difficult, that supervisor is going to hang you out to dry as Option #1. Perhaps there is a better place to work, or someone better to work for, on campus.

Bob

Quite looking for guns and start looking for bombs.

We are at war and the enemy's weapon of choice is the bomb.

Inform yourself about Behavior Pattern Recognition
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...43_page2.shtml

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    When hired, you were probably notified of your job duties. If one item on the list was "report anyone you suspect might be concealing a weapon", do what you agreed to do. If it's not on the list, forget about it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Its actually simple. Your hired to do a job. If you spot a criminal act you are to report it. Thus no matter how nice the person is, if thier carrying a weapon in violation they took the chance, leave the decision up to the pd and call. If you dont call and the armed person does something bad, its you behind and you'll be hanging yourself out for civil damages. If its a VIP type person, no big, learn to hid the equipment better or advise those paid to look for that of their presence. Old chief once said, the day I cant do what I'm paid to do, its time to resign.

Steve
    exactly, all you can do is your job to the best of your ability,
    don't avoid doing your job, keep your integrity

on a side note: I travel to OK and have to visit college campuses, the research I've done/read says that its legal for me to have my pistol in the car on campus
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

It is my supervisor who told me about no guns on campus. He has a CCW permit so I thought he knew. I take my CCW class Oct. 7th. I just got my first gun in July so this is all new to me so I'm still learning. I'll keep things to myself before I pass on things that I haven't researched yet. Thanks all.

It is my supervisor who told me about no guns on campus. He has a CCW permit so I thought he knew. I take my CCW class Oct. 7th. I just got my first gun in July so this is all new to me so I'm still learning. I'll keep things to myself before I pass on things that I haven't researched yet. Thanks all.
    In Louisiana the college campus' have these signs that say it is a no firearms sign and that they are not allowed. However, the law that those signs are based on have a long list of exceptions that the signs do not mention and the police seem to not know about.

See if your state's legislature has a website where you can search and read through the laws. I like to read over everything that may apply to me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    If we are talking about OKLAHOMA - I believe you are mistaken.

Oklahoma Self Defense Act - TITLE 21 § 1277. UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES (page 37 )
    http://www.osbi.state.ok.us/PublicSe...wbook_2005.pdf

Permit Holders can leave firearms in vehicle in parking lots.
    Mav, check out pgs 37-39 of the above posted pdf file
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    I work as an unarmed security guard in a museum at a major university. My job is mainly as a "visual deterant". So I do a lot of people watching on my job.
    It is against the law to carry at the university. I see alot of people wearing hawiian shirts, vests and fanny packs. I always keep an eye on these people but I have not yet spotted a gun.
    I was wondering what I should do when it finally does happen? Should I make a big deal out of it and call the university PD or talk to them and ask them to leave?
    There are always pressures to be political correct since there are a lot of people who visit the museum that are rich contributors to the university. That's why I'm not sure what I would do.

So my question is two sided. What would you do if you were me and you saw someone with a CCW? Also, if you were the one with the CCW how would you want the situation to be handled?
    Elitism is absolute BS! If you are being told that it is ok for a VIP to carry then it should be ok for a law abiding citizen to carry. If I was given a BS policy like this, I would work off of my own "profiling" criteria. If I see a non-profile individual that is a family man with his family, I would simply choose to ignore the fact that he "MAY" have printed momentarily.

Concealed is concealed! Profile individuals would have the PD called. Non-profile idividuals would be given the benefit of the doubt that the "bulge" I saw was only their cell phone.

I believe that "common sense" should be the prevailing factor.

Benefit of doubt

Here in Arkansas is a city called Hot Springs. Downtown on one side of the street, it is legal for CCW to carry concealed. On the other side of the street, it is owned by the FEDs, because of the old bath houses. On this side, it is illegal for anyone to have a firearm. It is a tourist area but people are constantly crossing over to sight see and in doing so, cross over into two different jurisdictions.

What I have been told by both a State CCW Instructor and an un-named Fed Officer, is that the FEDS will just walk up to you and remind you, if they see a weapon, that you need to cross back over on the other side of the street.

Perhaps you can use the same discretion and just politely remind the person whom you have seen carrying a weapon, that they should leave.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Is it posted at the museum entrance?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links