Unarmed security guard sees CCW, and it's illegal - Page 3

Unarmed security guard sees CCW, and it's illegal

This is a discussion on Unarmed security guard sees CCW, and it's illegal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The way I see it, they are paying you to enforce their security policy. I don't see that you have any just course but to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed security guard sees CCW, and it's illegal

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    The way I see it, they are paying you to enforce their security policy. I don't see that you have any just course but to do it. Otherwise find another job. A lot of folks here work in places that have policies that we disagree with, but most of us swallow hard and let it go. I'd contact the campus PD and let them handle it. Maybe the "offender" will work on better hiding their carry weapon in the future.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

No, it is not posted on the doors.

Start rumors that there is lots of unsafe dangerous carry on campus...encourage the lefties to get crazy and demand a policy...to include random pat downs on all genders....you get to take your pick.

Since your boss will not provide an answer to your question, you might ask him in writing what to do ... the answer to be in writing....BUT that could get you fired in the wonderful world of university politics.

Since you are on the spot ask that the campus newspaper to mention the prohibition yada yada, put up prominent signs. The PC one...learn the faces of the big kahunaases and look the other way ...maybe?

Cell the cops anonymously on the first infraction and especially on big kahunasses ...one time shoud do it.

Easy stuff from Bureauracy 101

Maverick, I work on the OKC OU campus, so I well know the VIP policy as practiced by Universities. I would also say that it would not surprise me at all to have the Student Union or the Womens'/Childrens Hospital satchel charged or raided, ala the Beslan (sp?) massacre, given our large "Fundamentalist" population.

It really boils down to your perception of what a "VIP" is. Do you know the faces of all the wives and children of the Admin folks? You wouldn't wish to not be able to get a job in the state because you initiated a publice scene with Mr. Boren's(or whoever) son/daughter and the Authorities, right? "Officer's Discretion" should be your operative phrase. We all know we see things our brain does not process, it simply isn't possible to sort all information......

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I have seen lots of people wearing hawiian shirts, vests and fanny packs that are not carrying weapons. Hawaii is full of them. I would not turn in anyone that I did not absolutely see with an exposed gun. Either stopping someone or calling police to report any one of these items, IMHO, would be out of line....
    I have read a lot of post that fanny packs scream gun, however I do know of one guy who is diabetic who carries is supplies, meter, insulin and needles in a fanny pack. You also see a lot in abusement parks used to carry money, wallet & glasses while on some rides.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    From the Oklahoma Self Defense Act
    TITLE 21 1277.

D. No person in possession of any concealed handgun pursuant to the
    Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall be authorized to carry the handgun
    into or upon any college or university property, except as provided in
    this subsection
    . For purposes of this subsection, the following property shall
    not be construed as prohibited for persons having a valid concealed handgun license:

1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended
    or unattended
    , provided the handgun is carried or stored as
    required by law and the handgun is not removed from the vehicle
    without the prior consent of the college or university president
    while the vehicle is on any college or university property;
    Curry

I'm sorry.....Anyone wearing a Hawiian shirt who is

a. Not on vacation
    b. On their way to a fancy dress party
    c. Living in Hawiia

Should be reported to the Fashion Police immediately......>8-)
    As one of my old sergeants used to say. "WE do not play at spray and play.......Do we.... Sir....."

Remember children, when we have removed the pin from Mr Grenade, Mr Grenade is no longer our friend......

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by everalm View Post
    I'm sorry.....Anyone wearing a Hawiian shirt who is

a. Not on vacation
    b. On their way to a fancy dress party
    c. Living in Hawiia

Should be reported to the Fashion Police immediately......>8-)
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

VIP Member
    Edited to add that I didn't look all the way to the end of the thread and now see that someone already mentioned the statute.

Maverick, it depends what university you work at, at least right now. I assume you work for the one with the large stadium on the east side of campus. If that is the case, it is legal for them to have a weapon in their vehicle, no matter what your supervisor said.

21-1277. D. No person in possession of any concealed handgun pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall be authorized to carry the handgun into or upon any college or university property, except as provided in this subsection. For purposes of this subsection, the following property shall not be prohibited for persons having a valid concealed handgun license:

1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, provided the handgun is carried or stored as required by law and the handgun is not removed from the vehicle without the prior consent of the college or university president while the vehicle is on any college or university property;

http://oklegal.onenet.net/oklegal-cg...1/21-1277.html

Now, if you work at one of the private schools, there is still some debate. Due to the Conoco suit the provision of law that makes it OK to leave your gun in your car at a business is in limbo until the suit has run its process. This means that until the federal court decides on the issue (from another state, both sides agreed to wait for other people to fight it out to save legal fees for the company and the state) it is impossible to tell for sure whether or not a private school is subject to this provision, though most people I have talked to (some lawyers, some not) believe that you should be OK even then.

Of course, I would still advise you to call the campus PD, since your supervisor has said it isn't legal. Let the LEOs and the individual discuss the issue while you do what you have been instructed to do.
    Last edited by Echo_Four; September 12th, 2006 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Had already been posted.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

This just seems so 'over the top' for members to recommend reporting what you think you see. We're participating in a "Concealed Carry" forum, where the objective is to by and large discuss and learn from others on issues relative to concealed carry and self-defense. A place where we are constantly beating the drum that CCW'ers are the good guys, aren't interested in playing 'LEO of the day', just want to live our lives without interference from government or over-bearing private authorities, and constantly strive to improve our situational awareness to enhance the safety of ourselves, family, and if necessary and appropriate, maybe even other innocents as well. And you want to turn a guy in that in all probability either forgot to leave his CCW behind or is just ignorant of the 'no-carry on campus regs'. I'm not saying those are justifiable excuses but unless the person is causing trouble, who cares???

I look for printing and other signs of carry because if the SHTF, those are the guys I want at my side!!!
    You do your thing, I'll do mine...

NRA Lifer, RSO, Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by FireBreather01 View Post
    This just seems so 'over the top' for members to recommend reporting what you think you see. We're participating in a "Concealed Carry" forum, where the objective is to by and large discuss and learn from others on issues relative to concealed carry and self-defense. A place where we are constantly beating the drum that CCW'ers are the good guys, aren't interested in playing 'LEO of the day', just want to live our lives without interference from government or over-bearing private authorities, and constantly strive to improve our situational awareness to enhance the safety of ourselves, family, and if necessary and appropriate, maybe even other innocents as well. And you want to turn a guy in that in all probability either forgot to leave his CCW behind or is just ignorant of the 'no-carry on campus regs'. I'm not saying those are justifiable excuses but unless the person is causing trouble, who cares???

I look for printing and other signs of carry because if the SHTF, those are the guys I want at my side!!!
    I might agree with this IF we were talking about the "member" reporting someone as they were just "out and about". However this thread is about a SECURITY GUARD talking about what he should do WHILE AT WORK at a place that CCW IS ILLEGAL.

I have NO compassion for ANYONE with a CCW that does not know the laws and places that they can and cannot carry. As CCW holders, we all need to make sure EVERYTHING we do is 100% legal.

yes, we should all go far out of our way to inforce unconstitutional laws that do nothing but make us all more unsafe. (sarcasm)

Do we really have an obligation to enforce these laws? I don't think so. I understand striving to follow them to stay out of trouble, but I also respect those who put there own family's safety ahead of these illegal laws.

Anyways, I know when I started my "job" I took an oath to support and defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. I will never do anything to enforce an unconstitutional law such as these, this is my duty, as I feel supporting the constitution takes priority.

VIP Member
    Then you don't belong in the world of law enforcement. Like it or not, whether you are a local cop, an FBI agent, or a mall security guard you are there for a reason. You don't get to pick the laws you like, you enforce them all. If you don't like the laws, get yourself elected and change them.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Then you don't belong in the world of law enforcement. Like it or not, whether you are a local cop, an FBI agent, or a mall security guard you are there for a reason. You don't get to pick the laws you like, you enforce them all. If you don't like the laws, get yourself elected and change them.
    2nd

By definition, there are no illegal laws. You and I may not like all of them, but it is the law.
    Enforce all the laws, treat everyone equally, and make sure you document everything... Can you tell I have been doing this for a while??

"hey, I was just following orders"

unconstitutional instead of illegal then okay?

I think there are times when you have to do what's right, regardless of what we are told to do. If I was given an order to disarm US citizens I would refuse and put my duty to the constitution first. I would also refuse to uphold laws like what we are discussing.

It's not "picking the laws I like" it's refusing to do something that I know to be wrong.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links