CCW and Open Carry here in WI

This is a discussion on CCW and Open Carry here in WI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a question I came up with the other day (hypothetical situation)... I have my CCW license and my state allows open carry... I carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CCW and Open Carry here in WI

Here's a question I came up with the other day (hypothetical situation)...

I have my CCW license and my state allows open carry...

I carry my weapon concealed in an IWB holster. I go into a restaurant (no weapons restriction posted) for lunch. I sit in a booth and my weapon causes discomfort by poking me in the ribs. Since my state allows open carry, could I unholster and set my weapon on the table?

I guess what I'm pondering is, if we're carrying concealed, does it have to remain concealed? Could pulling it out be considered "brandishing"?

Ace
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

If you have to ask this question you probably shouldn't be carrying a firearm.
    ericb327 and BkCo1 like this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    If some pulled a gun and set it on the table, where I'm eating would be considered a threat and possibly crazy. Good luck with that. You will either be shot dead by police or other LAWFUL carriers.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I wouldn't do it and I'm sure you would be charged with something. If its than uncomfortable you might want to consider a different carry option/position.

VIP Member
    Switching from concealed to open carry isn't a problem, if both modes of carry are legal. However open carried in a holster, visible to others is a little different than walking around with the gun in your hand.

Most of us here would not be concerned if someone walked into a convenience store we were in with a holstered gun on their hip. However let someone walk in with that same gun in their hand, and your going to get a completely different reaction.

If your having problems with the gun causing discomfort while sitting, you probably need to re-evaluate your holster and carry position.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    If some pulled a gun and set it on the table, where I'm eating would be considered a threat and possibly crazy. Good luck with that. You will either be shot dead by police or other LAWFUL carriers.
    That's a little excessive.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Laying your gun on the table is not open carry. There is a good chance doing that will get you arrested, or worse.

Maybe you need to reconsider your carry setup if it causes that much discomfort. There is no brandishing law in WI but what you describe would clearly meet the elements of the disorderly conduct law if there was a complaint.

Leaving your firearm in your vehicle or at home would be a better option than laying it on the table.

I think once the firearm leaves the holster, there are a host of charges that could be leveled against you...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Open carry is legal here right now, but it really depends on where you are in the state

Wow, lots of harsh replies, so I guess I should have said that I wasn't going to do it.

So with that said, what is different than when I go to a gun show concealed, and pull it out for the doorman to check it and zip tie it? Or at Gander Mountain when taking it out to try out a holster. Granted, at both of these places it might be more expected to see a weapon compared to a restaurant...
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I think once the firearm leaves the holster, there are a host of charges that could be leveled against you...
    Such as?

I ask because when I travel, sometimes I have to unholster when putting it in the gun safe under the seat...
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I think that would be a bad shoot if the muzzle was never pointed at anyone...it would be very hard to justify, especially if it's sitting on the table and not in hand. I never said it would be a good idea...it is just a hypothetical situation.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    Wow, lots of harsh replies, so I guess I should have said that I wasn't going to do it.

So with that said, what is different than when I go to a gun show concealed, and pull it out for the doorman to check it and zip tie it? Or at Gander Mountain when taking it out to try out a holster. Granted, at both of these places it might be more expected to see a weapon compared to a restaurant...
    I think it is considered bad carry etiquitte to pull out a concealed carry(loaded) firearm at a gun shop and see if it fits a certain holster. Also, unsafe in my opinion. Unless you had cleared the chamber before entering the establishment, which kind of defeats the purpose of carrying a concealed weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    I think that would be a bad shoot if the muzzle was never pointed at anyone...it would be very hard to justify, especially if it's sitting on the table and not in hand. I never said it would be a good idea...it is just a hypothetical situation.
    Good shoot or bad shoot, it really doesn't matter when your in the ground, hypothetically of coarse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links