Concealed Carry Instructors

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Instructors within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im new to the site. I am currently employed by the U.S. Army as an Infantryman, serving a 9 month tour in afghanistan...(2nd tour). My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Instructors

Concealed Carry Instructors

Im new to the site. I am currently employed by the U.S. Army as an Infantryman, serving a 9 month tour in afghanistan...(2nd tour). My home of record is in South Carolina and I would like to move back there once I finish my contract. I would like to be a Concealed Carry Instructor...anyone out there already an instructor? Who could help me out a bit as far as how to go about it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome fro Michigan!

Lots of instructors around here. They will be along shortly.

Take care of yourself over there.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

in Texas all you have to do is go to the DPS webb site and put in an app then take a class and get certified to teach. It should be the same where you are, look at where you get a permit

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Thank you for your service! You are a better man than I.

VIP Member
    Welcome and thank you for your service.
    With all of your experience and training in the US Army I am sure you will be a great instructor!

Welcome from Colorado,

You desire a great work and I'm sure that you are well trained yourself.

I would like to give you a couple of pieces of advice from a fellow instructor.
    1. Remember that much of what you were taught in the military will seem irrelevant to may of your students. They will never walk down the streets looking for insurgents or anything close.
    2. People aren't as impressed with where you have been or how you did this or that as they will be impressed with how you treat them.
    3. Being able to shoot doesn't necessarily mean you can teach. Learn how to communicate well and have people evaluate your skills as an instructor not just a marksman or combat operative.
    4. Never stop taking classes from other instructors. I have, and continue to hold that a teacher must always be a learner.

I say this because I have taken classes from LEO and military instructors that provide little value to the student. I have also taken classes for LEO and military that were some of the best classes I ever took and the instructor never mentioned his time in the sandbox.

Start by taking the NRA instructors classes. Basic, but helpful in classroom experience.

Good luck, be the best teacher you can.
    RayBar and Cowbilly32 like this.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Welcome from SC. Be careful over there - we'll leave the light on for ya.
    ccwillinois likes this.

Welcome & thank you for your service GOD bless you! I in the process now, you will have to be certified as an instructor first you can do this through the NRA CWP Basic Instructor & Basic Pistol Instructor then submit to SLED. Contact Joseph & Janet Katz with Paladin Services 803-783-0590
    NRA Pistol Instructor and CWP Instructor Training in SC

thanks for all who have posted so far with support for military, as well as tips and advice..thanks to you all

Don't really know that much about becoming an instuctor .......

but just wanted to thank you for your service (from an aging old 'Nam vet)

Good luck to ya.........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    Welcome from Colorado,

You desire a great work and I'm sure that you are well trained yourself.

I would like to give you a couple of pieces of advice from a fellow instructor.
    1. Remember that much of what you were taught in the military will seem irrelevant to may of your students. They will never walk down the streets looking for insurgents or anything close.
    2. People aren't as impressed with where you have been or how you did this or that as they will be impressed with how you treat them.
    3. Being able to shoot doesn't necessarily mean you can teach. Learn how to communicate well and have people evaluate your skills as an instructor not just a marksman or combat operative.
    4. Never stop taking classes from other instructors. I have, and continue to hold that a teacher must always be a learner.

I say this because I have taken classes from LEO and military instructors that provide little value to the student. I have also taken classes for LEO and military that were some of the best classes I ever took and the instructor never mentioned his time in the sandbox.

Start by taking the NRA instructors classes. Basic, but helpful in classroom experience.

Good luck, be the best teacher you can.
    I would just like to second the above. Great advice. Military training is not the same as civilian CCW training, and teaching is an art unto itself. Great advice from tomstr.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Well, I guess I will chime in here. Some background for you, I was a Marine grunt, EAS'ed last year, and decided that I wanted to get into instructing on the side, as a way to share my enjoyment of the shooting sports, and make some money to support my shooting habit.

I don't know what the requirements are in your chosen state to be an instructor, in Ohio, the only real requirement is to be a NRA Pistol Instructor. So I searched around and found a training counselor that I liked. It is important to find a good training counselor, just like instructors vary in their level of expertise, so do counselors. Also, NRA instructor courses are not cheap. Whether your state requires it or not, it would probably be worth getting NRA instructor ratings, it helps build your credentials, and opens up things like the NRA instructor insurance and discounts from a lot of manufacturers/retailers.

If you are going to go this route, I would strongly recommend doing things the right way, not the cheap way. My training counselors liked what they saw as far as my knowledge, personality and teaching style, and offered me a chance to join their training group, which was fortunate for me. We have a dedicated classroom building, and dedicated, private range. Finding a place to teach and shoot can be a challenge. I don't think holding classes in your family room is a good way to go about things. And you need to make sure your range is conducive to teaching at, and safe. We all carry high levels liability and instructor insurance, which winds up being a few hundred bucks a year. Team instructing makes life a lot easier than teaching a 12 hours class by yourself too.

If you have any other questions or want to discuss this further, feel free to PM me. I hope this was helpful to you.
    RayBar likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I would just like to second the above. Great advice. Military training is not the same as civilian CCW training, and teaching is an art unto itself. Great advice from tomstr.
    I agree with you both..the statement about my background is simply that, a short bit about me. I left 2 weeks after graduation for the Army, so my point there is since I left home I have been shooting
    handling, carrying, firearms....its all i know, which is why im trying to figure out which way to go once I get out..to continue what I know...with a bit of a transition from military to civilian firearms...thats all...thanks for the replies

Hello from southwest Virginia, high atop the Blue Ridge Mountains.On behalf of Myself, and My family,a most heart felt thank you for your service to our Great Country.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Did mine through the NRA check their website first. Each state has different requirements for their CPL classes.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links