So many signs, most of them wrong :(

This is a discussion on So many signs, most of them wrong :( within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod Each and every posting I've run across here for the past several years does not meet the criteria of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: So many signs, most of them wrong :(

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Each and every posting I've run across here for the past several years does not meet the criteria of the law for posting. Seems as though the uneducated will soon rule the world. Too bad. Principles are hard to beat in the arena of stupid and ignorance.
    Same here in NE Ark... only two places in town that I know of are legally and specifically correct.

Gun Buster signs abound; just glad they're not legal.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

2. Remove Ads

With the lazy signs it kinda feels like they want to do the minimum possible to keep 'most' of the firearms out of their establishments (i.e. thugs), but not be so tight as to totally eliminate the possibility of a legit CCW carrier being in there incase a sticky BG situation arises :)

Quote Originally Posted by tomhuskey View Post
    Ok, I'm a fairly new CCW permit owner, and enjoy it everywhere I go! I always watch out for signs because I want to keep my permit! The problem is I get more confused every time I go out brcause none of the signs seem right. I have seen three different versions of the 'gun-buster' sign, one says 'no firearms', and one says 'no concealed carry'. At our favorite restaurant they have the appropriate sign (size, verbiage), but it's out of date because it says that it's a misdemeanor to carry where alcohol is served :( Wrong. And finally at a bowling alley there's one that just says 'no guns'. What the crap! No of them are correct according to the Tn Handgun Law site. Can I still get in trouble if I carry past any of those signs (I don't of course)? At first I loved living in Tennessee, but the 'signs carrying the weight of the law' thing is getting to be a pain! And don't get me started on Buffalo Wild Wings posting it on their website instead of the door! Any help is much appreciated from Tennessee folk.
    Ask your Permit Office. They know much better than we do.

Since the signs carry the weight of law, and since the law is somewhat ambiguous...

A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shall be considered properly posted in accordance with this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited:

(i) The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or

(ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision (b)(3).

...I don't intend to be the property owner's test case to see if his sign is legal or not. Most places that I see posted use the international circle and slash sign, but I go with the owner's intent. If he obviously doesn't want guns on his property, then he obviously doesn't want me. Some places, like hospitals, you just can't avoid. Most places, like stores and restaurants, I can.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    You are correct in what you say and I agree you should be good to go. However, if you are wrong you will be a lot more than hasseled. In Tennesse you face a felony charge and you know what that means. No more guns for you! We talk about this locally all the time and nobody, including me, wants to be the test case. If someone in TN has actually done this and won their case I would truly love to hear from them.
    I'm looking at Tenn. Code Ann. 39-17-1359

Possession of a weapon on posted property in violation of this section is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine only of five hundred dollars ($500).

That's not a good thing, but it's not a felony conviction.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Since the signs carry the weight of law, and since the law is somewhat ambiguous...

A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shall be considered properly posted in accordance with this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited:

(i) The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or

(ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision (b)(3).

...I don't intend to be the property owner's test case to see if his sign is legal or not. Most places that I see posted use the international circle and slash sign, but I go with the owner's intent. If he obviously doesn't want guns on his property, then he obviously doesn't want me. Some places, like hospitals, you just can't avoid. Most places, like stores and restaurants, I can.
    I'm good with the variations of the gun buster signs, they're pretty clear now. It's the "No Guns Allowed" signs scattered around here that bug me. Should I approach the owners and educate them (unarmed of course!)?

I'm good with the variations of the gun buster signs, they're pretty clear now. It's the "No Guns Allowed" signs scattered around here that bug me. Should I approach the owners and educate them (unarmed of course!)?
    Educate them as to what? They don't have the proper signage? Then, they'll be sure and get that corrected to the detriment of folks who think they might have some legal wiggle room if they are caught carrying on the premises. If you think that you can change their mind about posting, good luck with that. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. If the sign is so obscure and small that I have to look all over the place for it, then I assume that somebody in corporate told the local manager to put up a sign and the local manager complied with the directive even though his heart wasn't in it.

Just for the record, I would like to know if there is anyone in the state of Tennessee who was carrying concealed and was charged with carrying in a posted establishment. I'm not aware of anyone. The only person I know of that lost their permit was the guy who wanted to taunt the police by open carrying a revolver through the streets of Brentwood.

Gene, point taken :) We just came from Brentwood and Nashville, and I didn't see ANY postings. I was pretty surprised how gun friendly it was. I guess the place that puts out country songs about gun carrying red necks (me included!) has to be! Although open carrying in Brentwood would be a bad idea. The police like to keep the trouble down as that's where most the country stars live.

Gene, point taken :) We just came from Brentwood and Nashville, and I didn't see ANY postings. I was pretty surprised how gun friendly it was. I guess the place that puts out country songs about gun carrying red necks (me included!) has to be! Although open carrying in Brentwood would be a bad idea. The police like to keep the trouble down as that's where most the country stars live.
    My mistake. Embody is from Brentwood via California or wherever. He was actually carrying in Belle Meade and testing their laws. Here's his website and his version...

Open Carry Belle Meade

Went to Buffalo Wild Wings today and they finally put up a sign, but it's WRONG! Its has a clear background with black writing (hard to see), and its down in the corner of the door, and says "Handguns Are Not Allowed In Here". What???

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If the signs do not meet the legal requirements of the law, then you should be good to go. Of course if they find out your carrying, you may get hassled over it.

As to Buffalo Wild Wings. I don't think posting on their website meets the requirements of the law. I believe the signs have to be posted in a prominent location. Their website is not a prominent location.
    What a load of Buffalo droppings! If Buffalo Wild Wings thinks that posting a no carry notice on their web site they should be made aware that as of the last time I heard, 50% of americans do not have internet access!
    Many can't afford it and some just don't want it!

There is no way that a web notice should be able to replace a real sign.

Luckily for me if I did go into a BWW the sign would only matter if they asked me to leave. The only thing I can say about the food at BWW is their ribs are the worst I have ever tasted. I couldn't even eat them they tasted to bad.

Went to Buffalo Wild Wings today and they finally put up a sign, but it's WRONG! Its has a clear background with black writing (hard to see), and its down in the corner of the door, and says "Handguns Are Not Allowed In Here". What???
    So did you lock the handgun in your car and get your AR-15 out of the trunk instead?
    stancehold and gejoslin like this.

I live in a state where no one would ever think anyone is carring a gun. I've never seen a sign--shh, don't tell them.

Gene83 is "on target" TN has a law that requires posting by two methods only; however, many different versions are used. No one has wanted to be a test case, yet. Certainly not me. If I see an indication they don't want me, I take my money somewhere else no matter what the sign looks like. To be more obsurd, the law saying carry in state parks was legal let them go without changing their signs because they complained about the cost. So...a state park has a sign saying "no firearms" but if you have a HCP you can ignore it. County and City parks can opt out of allowing carry but it's hazy about the posting requirementsso you have to know te local ordinance. Crazy!!
    There isn't a wall high enough to stop illegal immigrants when the reward on the other side is free health care, jobs, driver's licenses and free college tuition subsidized by American taxpayers.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission issues signs that say it is a misdemeanor to carry where alcohol is sold or served. Those signs are not postings and they are incorrect.

Three postings are valid in Tennessee. #1 is the gunbuster. #2 is the new TCA 39-17-1359 sign. It says "TCA 39-17-1359" on it. #3 is the old TCA 39-17-1359 sign. It basically says the same thing as the new one. They are not valid if they are not posted at all at all primary entrances. They are not valid if they are not visible to the average person. They are not valid in parks.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links