NM handgun license

This is a discussion on NM handgun license within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys; Soon I will be taking the TX CHL course. I am just wondering if NM honors this course? Just kinda convaluted in my ...

Thread: NM handgun license

NM handgun license

Hey Guys;

Soon I will be taking the TX CHL course. I am just wondering if NM honors this course?

Just kinda convaluted in my mind - You can Open Carry in NM but you have to have a license to concealed carry?

2. Remove Ads

While it's legal to OC in NM, You can't OC into a restaurant which serves alcohol, or a store which sells liquor.
    You can with a CCW, though. But I've just been recently reading that MOST other states CCW permits are not up to DPS "standards", although I also read that they are not DIS-honoring the permits which they previously DID honor.

I am pretty sure that NM does not issue licenses for non-residents.

VIP Member
    Currently NM does honor a TX carry permit, they have been flip flopping on who they honor recently, so tomorrow they may not.

If you haven't already found it, Handgunlaw.us is a great resource for information on state laws and regulations.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The somewhat hopeful sign is the statement on their webpage that:

"For those states that have had reciprocity agreements with New Mexico, but do not now have a similar law to ours, NM DPS will contact those states to clarify which permit holders from that state are not allowed to carry a concealed weapon in New Mexico. This will not affect the vast majority of permit holders in states with current reciprocity agreements.

For example, if New Mexico currently has a reciprocity agreement with a particular state that allows individuals under age 21, non-citizens, and/or individuals convicted of violent crimes to obtain a concealed carry permit, then NM DPS will work to adjust the reciprocity agreement to clarify to that state’s permit holders that they can carry a concealed weapon in New Mexico so long as they are a U.S. Citizen, over 21 years of age, and not convicted of disqualifying violent crimes."

That's a big change from dropping states wholesale. But anything could happen... I've set Reciprocity Agreements | New Mexico Department of Public Safety as my home page so I check it at least daily...

Links