Having the misfortune to have an anti-gun person as your witness...

This is a discussion on Having the misfortune to have an anti-gun person as your witness... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading an article today about a high profile shooting and saw the most jaw dropping comment from a witness I've ever heard. "If ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Having the misfortune to have an anti-gun person as your witness...

Having the misfortune to have an anti-gun person as your witness...

I was reading an article today about a high profile shooting and saw the most jaw dropping comment from a witness I've ever heard.

"If you're in self defense, shoot him in the leg."

It's crazy to think that your freedom in a self defense shooting hinges partially on the intelligence (Or lack thereof) of some witnesses.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    The witness probably had too much Hollywood movies and not enough real life. Even in the 1970's there was a sector of society that believed the best way to defend yourself with a firearm was to shoot the BG in the arm or the leg. I see there are still some of them around or maybe they reproduced.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Well, considering that I'd probably use the shotgun in the house, there is a chance that a leg might get fragged. Nope, center mass kicks A..

I remember watching cowboy movies and the BG getting his pistol shot out of his hand....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Senior Moderator
    This is very much a Hollywood thing. You see it in Cop shows ALL. THE. TIME!

Conflicted officer doesn't want to shoot the poor, misunderstood bad guy. They are negotiating and he is stuck with a sudden conscious but can't get over what he has done so he tries to commit suicide by cop but the cop shoots him in the arm instead, effectively rendering him neutral while running up to him, throwing on the cuffs and saying, "You're not getting off that easy."

Or, if the over-aggressive cop actually shoots for center mass, the hero cop screams, "WHY DID YOU DO THAT? You didn't have to kill him!!"

Over-aggressive cop feels horrible for what s/he has done and ends up apologizing for his/her misjudgement of the situation and living in guilt forever even though they were cleared.

Gag me now...

#1 reason I cannot watch the Law and Order series any more.

Good point. The laws are full of movie based weapons that are made illegal , but never used. These include " Death Stars" , " Automatic knives" , " nunchucks". It is a logical but foolish premise used by the same people that "shooting in the leg" or " winging them" are valid, real or even possible.

Sent from my 300 baud modem

This is not as great a problem as it appears.

As long as the witness testifies truthfully in what they actually saw (that you were under attack and acting in self defense), your attorney should be able to handle their uneducated opinions as to whether you should have used a "wounding shot" instead of a COM defensive shot.

Witnesses are not allowed to give their opinions and if one were to sneak one in, a good lawyer will make them look utterly foolish in their beliefs regarding being able to stop someone with wounding them, yet still remain credible in what they saw and heard. And that is what you want from a witness. What they see and hear... Their opinions doesn't matter (unless they are testifying as a subject matter expert).
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I was aiming for his leg and the fool squatted down at the wrong time.....
    JoJoGunn and msgt/ret like this.

I like the cowboy movies ....you can shoot foreeeeever and never have to reload

Consider what the witness said: "self defense." Those are the only words that matter. The rest has no importance to the case.

Years ago, my platoon and I used to get the rules of engagement on missions in which we were supposed to shoot to warn and then to aim for legs. It was all BS. I am doing great to hit center of mass under attack.

Maybe we should just shoot their bullets out of the air. The newbies can shoot guns out of their hands. Everyone else can shoot legs.
    accessbob likes this.

There was a movie years ago with Keanu Reeves (sp) where some hotshot cop was talking about shooting BG's in the brachial nerve/artery to neutralize the arm. Welp, BG is down, another cop turns his back on BG and gets shot and bleeds out right in front of her. The look on an anti's face I was watching with was priceless.

I remember Frank Cannon could shoot a guy off a 200 ft high water tower, one handed, with a snub nosed 38.
    Surely we could just wing the bad guy!!!

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about something similar to this. Someone on here posted a link to one of those Best Defense episodes and it was 'The Right Way to Shoot Someone' or something along those lines.

My friend, who does not have his CHL (he does go to the range and enjoys shooting, but doesn't own a firearm yet), and I are talking about what he'd do in a situation where you had to shoot someone to save your life. He said "yeah, I guess I would, but, I don't know... I'd probably try to shoot them in the shoulder or leg first to stop them."

Granted, he doesn't have his CHL or really has thought about that situation before that point. I explained to him that he would then be better off just having a taser or pepper spray. If you are carrying a gun for protection of you and your loved ones, you shoot to stop the threat (which is, more than likely, killing the person) - you never go in with a mindset of shooting to wound.

Sometimes I wonder if it would not be easier to explain to an anti why I did not shoot them in the leg as opposed to explaining to some gun people why I had to shoot them at all. I've said for a while, I think I want non gun people on a jury if I ever get in that position. We can hardly agree on when, where, how, why, if, why not,...............
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Haha yea right, so you shoot the attacker in the arm or leg and then they come back and sue you for everything you have. If my life is threatened I'll just double tap in the chest, mainly the heart and yes kill the ASSAILANT.
    And besides in a life threatening situation you prolly will not have time to take aim and shoot someone in the arm. Something an anti just simply does not understand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links