Have a Very DANGEROUS Problem With My 1911

This is a discussion on Have a Very DANGEROUS Problem With My 1911 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I first got my Colt WWI 1911 Reproduction close to a year ago, after a month it had this scary malfunction: the slide would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Have a Very DANGEROUS Problem With My 1911

Have a Very DANGEROUS Problem With My 1911

When I first got my Colt WWI 1911 Reproduction close to a year ago, after a month it had this scary malfunction: the slide would stay open as if the gun was unloaded after shooting quite a few rounds, like the mag was now empty. So, with both occurring you assume it's unloaded.

SURPRISE! IT WASN'T: it still had a live round in it! Great.

Gets even better: I noticed this while a young family member was shooting it! Luckily I was watching him like a hawk and after the slide had remained open, noticed a live round fall out when he dropped the magazine. I immediately told him to put the gun down and leave the lane. I checked it three times to make sure it was unloaded, took it home and back to Colt it went the next day.

They replaced the extractor and sent it back. Worked fine.

Until 2 weeks ago. Starting having Failures to Extract, then live rounds would get stuck half in, half out of the barrel and have to be removed by range personnel carefully with tools. I thought it was maybe grease which I had tried for the first time, or limp-wristing. So out with the grease, back to the oil, watched carefully for limp-wristing and: first round stuck in the barrel. I asked a range worker to watch me shoot. HE saw the problem. As the slide cycled after a shot, the HAMMER FELL ON IT'S OWN, no trigger pull from me, I was pausing for the next shot - which never came as a bullet would get jammed in the barrel.

He then did a test: racked the slide quickly and multiple times and sure enough, the hammer would fall on it's own. It fell then to the half-notch, what it fell to when I was shooting during the 2 weeks prior I've no idea. Hopefully not all the way to the firing mechanism.

This problem I found out is called "Hammer-Follow" (or "Follow Down" or "Hammer-Follow-Down").:

" "Hammer Follow" is when the hammer falls simultaneously with the release of the slide when initially charging the 1911. When it occurs, unless special steps are taken, the gun will fire. (An important safety rule is to always keep the muzzle of the gun pointed in a safe direction.)- Preventing 1911 Hammer Follow

It's extremely dangerous. Your gun can (and I've read a post on another forum from someone's whose did) suddenly go into full automatic mode, spraying bullets all over the place though you are not touching the trigger. Poster said it was terrifying, the gun jumping all over the place in his hand firing round after round. And his was 1911-type .380. Mine is a .45!

Back to Colt it's going. I bought a great Sig 220 (see my other thread about it). I don't think I'll trust the 1911 to Carry even though I'm sure it will be fixed. Too freaky a gun.
    Last edited by walleye; May 19th, 2012 at 08:47 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Century old technology.
    Lone_Gunman likes this.

I'm so glad that you have discovered the problem before any terrible accident. If it were me, since you have had two occasions of major problems, I don't think I could ever trust the gun again.

Enjoy your new Sig!

There are clones and there are clones,which one do you have? As already stated,I would have trouble trusting it.Once a gun fails like that,you can't get it out of your mind even if you can get it fixed.You always wonder,whats going to go wrong next that just hasn't showed up yet,even worse ,when?.

Quote Originally Posted by stancehold View Post
    I'm so glad that you have discovered the problem before any terrible accident. If it were me, since you have had two occasions of major problems, I don't think I could ever trust the gun again.

Enjoy your new Sig!
    That's the one good thing out of this: the discovery of Sig with buying the 220. Never had a Sig before. I didn't plan on buying a gun and don't really have the money, but like you said, when it was screwing up the 2nd time with major safety issues, I knew I wouldn't trust my life with the 1911. In fact, the gun itself was more of a danger to my life than was the chance of getting attacked. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? Go figure...
    stancehold likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by owgem View Post
    Century old technology.
    Uh-O, better watch it. You'll have a crowd of 1911-Orks crowding around your house with flaming torches and pitchforks.
    MisterAvis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    There are clones and there are clones,which one do you have? As already stated,I would have trouble trusting it.Once a gun fails like that,you can't get it out of your mind even if you can get it fixed.You always wonder,whats going to go wrong next that just hasn't showed up yet,even worse ,when?.
    Yeah, exactly how I feel.

mkh
    Sounds like a sear issue. I had that with my PT1911 and I found that the sear pin and the hammer pin both had play in them which kept the sear from holding the hammer properly.
    msgt/ret likes this.

I used to carry both 1911s and Sigs. I don't miss the 1911s at all. If you are going to carry it you must have confidence in it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    Uh-O, better watch it. You'll have a crowd of 1911-Orks crowding around your house with flaming torches and pitchforks.
    I'm not worried. I'll hold them off with my reliable Glock. And if it should come to a gun fight their 1911's will either malfunction or thier sights will fall off.

Now I will go hide.

VIP Member
    I'm not worried. I'll hold them off with my reliable Glock. And if it should come to a gun fight their 1911's will either malfunction or thier sights will fall off.

Now I will go hide.
    Spoken like a true Glockaholic.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    About 40 years ago now, I encountered the same thing with a Llama .32 pistol. I was young, had very little experience with handguns, and of course didn't have resources available today to research it. Luckily I had no money tied up in the gun. I had taken it in payment for some work I did for someone. I had no idea of the history of the gun, I know the person I got it from wasn't the first owner. I destroyed the gun and disposed of it in pieces.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Now I will go hide.

ANY pistol can malfunction.

Now I will go hide.
    Funny, I have never personally had sights fall off my 1911's. My Glocks on the other hand have. Along with melted guide rods and horribly triggers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links