What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat? - Page 2

What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat?

This is a discussion on What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JD What I've found in my very, very limited use of the Delta Point is that it eliminates my issues related to ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What I've found in my very, very limited use of the Delta Point is that it eliminates my issues related to cross dominance...more on this later. I will say that Bowie has one of my HKs in to get cut for the Delta.
    Looking forward to hearing more on this. I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I've adjusted for pistol, but anything that makes it even easier would be nice.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Good for competition and possibly hunting IMO. I would never think of one for SD. Better things available that don't stick out like a sore thumb and that you can find holsters for.

The one Lima got to try out (Glock 19 w/ Delta Point) fit right in her every day holster, a UBG Regulator. No mods necessary. Not saying this is the norm, but given a little more time, just like with new guns, we'll start seeing more holster selection.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by stancehold View Post
    Looking forward to hearing more on this. I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I've adjusted for pistol, but anything that makes it even easier would be nice.

I didn't have to do anything other than bring the gun out. No canting of the pistol, no holding it left of center, no turning the head to get my left eye closer to the sights...just bring the gun up to a high ready and extend out. No eye fatigue, no blurred sight picture, just a big red triangle on target.

"Better things available"-Ram Rod
    ............such as?

If irons were the best option, scopes would have never been placed on hunting rifles. If scopes were the best option, rmr's would have never been placed on today's fighting rifles. If rmr's are better than irons on rifles, why would they not be better on handguns used for fightning?

"that don't stick out like a sore thumb"- Ram Rod
    If it's on a concealed handgun, no one's gonna see it till you need to see it. Then, its 'sticky outtiness' is really gonna work in your favor.

"that you can find holsters for"- Ram Rod
    Most any open top holster will fit the modified gun, if it does not cover up past the ejection port. A couple of makers build rigs just for the dot equipped pistol. Blade-Tech and Dale Fricke come to mind.

Have you shot a dot equipped pistol? One set up specifically as a defensive or fighting handgun? To say you would NEVER consider it, leads me to believe 1. you haven't, 2. you've already made up your mind.
    Keeping an open mind is what leads to bigger and better things, otherwise, we'd all still be shooting capnballs, instead of them new, faincee metallic cartridge boolits.

dan
    ducatirider likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Curious. I know the differences between red dot and lasers, but don't they have the same advantages and disadvantages?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Curious. I know the differences between red dot and lasers, but don't they have the same advantages and disadvantages?
    A red-dot superimposes a sighting point on the target, while a laser sight projects a beam of amplified light to the target. They are both (usually) battery-powered, but have little else in common.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Not really, more like opposite sides of the same coin, rocking baby Reload to sleep, will explain more later...

JD
    Administrator
    OK, regarding RDS' and lasers...

With a laser, when sighting on a target, the further away the target is the smaller your dot will be. Not so with an RDS, the "dot" or other reticle will keep it's size.

Most of the RDS' have the ability for auto adjust of brightness, the lasers do not.

Where the lasers excel is when shooting from obscure positions etc.

The lasers, with the exception of a Crimson trace style laser and similar need to be manually activated. The RDS will always be on unless a battery dies.

With a RDS and Back Up Iron Sights (BUIS) if your optic is dead the sights are right there in your field of view, if your laser is dead or you can't find the dot you may need to shift focus back to your sights.

Regarding both, I want to say that the RDS are less sensitive to cold weather than a green laser.

RDS' have the option for different size reticles, with the laser you're pretty much stuck with what you have.

Skill transfer. A RDS on your handgun and rifle will compliment each other in terms of sight/target acquisition.

Maintaining of zero. I'd have to look back over the reports, but I seem to recall lots of issues of Crimson Trace units loosing zero after prolonged firing. Optics like the RMR and Delta Point are pretty good about keeping zero. While we're talking about the Delta, in another thread it was mentioned that the Delta is not as robust as the RMR, I have it on good authority that Leupold is getting ready to make some changes to the Delta to beef it up.

That's about it for now. About 6-9 months from now I should have a G17 with Delta Point and Crimson Trace Unit and you can bet I'll be doing some exhaustive work on that set up and reporting back...

From op:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I posted these pics on another thread, but in case you didn't see them, here they are for you to look at in the meantime. Bowie Tactical did the work on it.
    Attachment 59104Attachment 59105Attachment 59106
    Hey thanks a lot, looks very helpful if you could use that visual fast - course if the perp was really close it's point-shooting all the way. No time for any sight.

Also didn't look that big; but guess you'd have to get another holster, likely made with that sight in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    Hard to explain it, till you've tried it. I'm a believer in my rmr'd g17. Any time 'time' is on my side and I can take a very precise shot, the red dot only makes it easier. This advantage becomes more obvious as the distance increases. At just beyond "shoot'em off the gun" distances, if the target is in the window, start hookin' the trigger. If the pistol has been properly equipped with backup iron sights (suppressor sights), that are visible thru the window IF the battery should go out, you just default to using the sights like you've always done. Even then, its almost easier, as the window now sort of 'ghost rings' the sights and your target.

"......what use a mini-red-dot sight would be in a self-defense situation"- walleye

First, if you can use any sights at all, why not use the quickest and simplest? Target in window, dot on target. Anything you can do with irons, you can do better w a dot, provided you are willing to put the time in. Just like you did when you first started with the irons. If you can't use proper sights due to time and distance, ie vicious point shooting, you haven't lost anything by having the dot on the gun. As the time and distance increases, the dot will be more useful. As to its durability, mine has been thru well past 2k rounds of everything from tula, to 115g +p+ CorBons. While 2k is not a defining round count for lifetime durability, the way I worked the pistol during those rounds is a definite indicator of its toughness. The rmr is use to cycle the slide. Not just nice and easy cycle, but framming it w the palm of the charging hand to load, using it as the racking device on boot heels, belt buckles, counter tops, you name it.
    A drop of fingernail polish on the dials after zero, and its never moved. Gotten the pistol so hot you can hardly handle the slide, no problems. Indoor range w dust and smoke that'd fog your glasses, and it WILL fog the rmr, but I can still see my dot. Nothing but advantages. As far as carrying, get a holster designed to accomodate the pistol (w/ rmr) and fits you comfortably, and go.

dan
    SpongeBob BelieverPants

TSD Tier 3 gen4 17
    What red-dot sight do you use?

From op: Sig

I just bought a great Sig 220 Elite Stainless - there's my boasting photos on another thread here. I see on Sig's site they sell a variety of red-dot sights of their own, reasonably priced for these sights: $199 to $299. Wonder how they are. One is VERY small - dunno if too small to see much.

Sights

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks everybody! This has been very educational - a lot I didn't know.

VIP Member
    Walleye. Those are mainly rifle sights. The mini RDS optics are much smaller and simply require a dovetail be cut into the slide to me mounted.

This is a Docter red dot

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

walleye-
    mine is a Trijicon RM02.
    RM02 RMR - Trijicon, Inc.

dan

Quote Originally Posted by stancehold View Post
    It may be easier with a dot but you will still have to bring the gun up to the dominant eye. Not a big thing as I'm crossed myself.

Dots rock. Target focus is faster and more precise with the dot, makes moving targets easier, and eliminates the difficulties OF a front sight focus. Some older shooters I know got frustrated with irons but enjoy shooing dots.

I can see a time when this is standard gear for Leo, at least the specialty teams. Concealed carry, Im leaning not. The dots really shine at distances where self defense doesn't seem to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    walleye-
    mine is a Trijicon RM02.
    RM02 RMR - Trijicon, Inc.

dan
    Nice - also expensive! Whew....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links