What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat?

This is a discussion on What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "There's an obvious solution for mounting sights so the glass doesn't obscure them if it gets dirty. I present to you, gangsta sights:"--thephanatik oww, now ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat?

Wink

"There's an obvious solution for mounting sights so the glass doesn't obscure them if it gets dirty.

I present to you, gangsta sights:"--thephanatik

oww,
    now yer just bein' mean!

dan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The Delta Point is motion activated, when you're carrying it and moving it will be on. Battery life is about 4 months +/-
    Even the battery in my older generation JPoint has lasted well over 1 year of constant-on.

I'd say that's a good reason not to use a Delta Point if battery life is no longer than that. Or perhaps your particular sight has a tech issue?

If you are using dot-only, there is a legitimate concern regarding the training curve. I ran my JPoint in a dovetail mount for over a year without the benefit of the suppressor sights as a reference and it does take many draws to find the dot reliably.

Once I went with the higher sights and milled slide, you look for the iron sights as normal and the dot is just there. It might have taken less than 100 draws for me to get used to the dot.

FWIW, in the AIWB position I normally carry, or in a bellyband for deeper concealment, I notice no difference between my milled G26 vs the unmilled slide.

And while I've hit man-sized steel at 100 yds with my stock G26, it is both easier and faster with the JPoint. Precision close-range shots are also faster and easier with the dot. It takes nothing away from point shooting at those distances either.

Senior Moderator
    I'm beginning to like these red dots. To be honest, I never was much of a fan of putting another sight on a handgun...escpecially one used for defensive purposes. For hunting, fine. I could see putting a 1x4 scope on a large caliber handgun to help see the game better and perhaps judge a rack on a deer if there are restrictions on them. I've got one on my Contender and it works well but for anything else, I was lukewarm to it.

Since I've been in the NFA world for a few years, one place where the red dots really shine is on a handgun with a suppressor. Its a fact that a lot of suppressors are big enough in diameter that you cant use the factory sights, and the red dots are tall enough that there is no issue.

Its nice to be able to put a dot on the target, squeeze the trigger and thunk...the bullet slaps the target.

We have a few guys in the gun club that have been using them to clean up on handgun silhouettes. They are easy to shoot, little to no recoil and no muzzle blast of sharp sounds. They are fun to shoot.

In that context, I think they excel.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you would like a red dot on your target with a concealed carry weapon, put a Crimson Trace Laser on it. Easily concealable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdoc357 View Post
    If you would like a red dot on your target with a concealed carry weapon, put a Crimson Trace Laser on it. Easily concealable.
    Or better still
    PICT0009.jpgPICT0011.jpg
    10thmtn likes this.

If you would like a red dot on your target with a concealed carry weapon, put a Crimson Trace Laser on it.
    Not the same animal. Not even close IMO.

And once again, I will say that a pistol with a milled RDS is no harder to conceal than one with out.

I carry one every day

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    Not the same animal. Not even close IMO.
    Perhaps you didn't notice the Crimson Trace there attached around the grip.
    hogdoc357 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I actually have a 1911 that started out with irons, which I shot until they got too fuzzy to shoot pins with. I then put Crimson Trace grips on it, which are easier to index onto the target, but show how unsteady your aim really is - you have to just give up trying to stabilize the laser dot at one spot on the the target and let it "dance" around where you want it to hit. Last, I put a Burris FastFire red dot on the rear sight cut and used that to pinshoot until I moved out of state. The red dot is the easiest sight, but takes some practice to find the dot instantly, unless you mill the slide down and mount it in a co-witness fashion with the iron sights (like the CT laser is co-witnessed at a set distance). I would not use the Burris FastFire on a defensive gun due to the less than stellar reliability issues I've had (to the point I've kept the CT's on the gun as backup), but I am seriously considering going with the Deltapoint or RMR's, despite the higher costs.

TSD used to this:

6a0133ec985af6970b014e87edaf5e970d-500wi.jpg

There was less demand for it than the Glock's and M&P's IIRC.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    TSD used to this:

6a0133ec985af6970b014e87edaf5e970d-500wi.jpg

There was less demand for it than the Glock's and M&P's IIRC.
    David Bowie still does them, depending on the particular gun.Bowie Tactical Concepts Pictures Page

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Better field of vision and situation awareness. No need to close one eye while aiming. I like for my AR but not for pistol.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Perhaps you didn't notice the Crimson Trace there attached around the grip.
    I did. I don't have a use for the laser, dots, are different.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    I did. I don't have a use for the laser, dots, are different.
    Something got lost in the punctuation on that one.
    hogdoc357 likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links