What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat?

This is a discussion on What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Happypuppy I don't use high profile sights, they snag too easily. Yeah, thousand's of pistol users have this problem every day... I'm ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat?

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    I don't use high profile sights, they snag too easily.
    Yeah, thousand's of pistol users have this problem every day...

I'm assuming that you haven't used a properly milled RDS with the co-witness sights? I thought you had from your first post, but now I'm not sure.
    Last edited by ScottM; October 28th, 2012 at 07:29 AM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    I don't use high profile sights, they snag too easily.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon
    Literally thousands of pulls, and not one snag.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

JD
    Administrator

Re: What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat?

Ditto on the snag issue...or is that non-issue?

I finally got to really use the dot today, my original Delta Point died on me and was replaced and today was the first time past sight in and general plinking and I really, really like the dot. Today was a hard match, lots of steel, lots of head shots and the red dot helped immensely.

I'm still pretty new to thee set up but I've been doing lots of dry practice and no issues. Where I did have some percieved issues was tracking the read dot...it was different and took a little time to get used to.

I have a severe cross dominance issue and the red dot totally negated it. Today was the most fun shooting I've had in a long time.

Now how does that translate into a defensive gun? I'm still putting the pieces in order and formulating that answer, but if I have a more precise sight picture and am getting better, faster hits, at greater distances in a game environment, I'm wiliing to bet that it will help in a real life incident as well.

Thee is a little bit of a learning curve, but its not as bad as I thought it would be. Most of the issues can be worked out in dry practice.

I can't say yet as to if I would equip ALL my carry guns like this, but I can see me trying some different optics and possibly getting several guns cut for the optic and BUIS installed and adding the optic later. I think the next gun (probably a G17) to under go this process will get a RMR so I can better compare the two.

To be continued.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Family Photo

My TSD milled 26 and "26L":
    Attached Images

JD
    Administrator
    What I really liked, was the single focal plane and being able to focus on the target and have the reticle "right there", no fuzzy target - crisp front sight - fuzzy rear, just perfect clean & crisp sight picture, transitions on small, moving targets was fabulous. Even on tight shots, like an IDPA head box diagonally bisected with 2" black tape; it was just like I want a bullet to go here, and there and bang bang there they were. It was on-demand accuracy/placement at a consistency that I've not had before. I've made some good shots with the P30 prior to the Delta Point being added, but today just seemed "easy". There is supposed to be some video of today's match, I'll post any of me when I get them.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What I really liked, was the single focal plane and being able to focus on the target and have the reticle "right there", no fuzzy target - crisp front sight - fuzzy rear, just perfect clean & crisp sight picture, transitions on small, moving targets was fabulous. Even on tight shots, like an IDPA head box diagonally bisected with 2" black tape; it was just like I want a bullet to go here, and there and bang bang there they were. It was on-demand accuracy/placement at a consistency that I've not had before. I've made some good shots with the P30 prior to the Delta Point being added, but today just seemed "easy". There is supposed to be some video of today's match, I'll post any of me when I get them.
    I agree, target focus vs front sight focus has proven to be the biggest advantage for me as well (I do wear progressive bifocals). Of course, that's where the learning curve is - becoming accustomed to focusing on your target - once you get used to that it all comes much easier. I've used red dots on long guns for years and it just took a change of mindset/habits to apply the same methods to handguns.

On high profile sights snagging, I haven't had a problem. I carry my FN45T in a duty rig so it's pretty well clear of everything so snagging isn't a problem, but when I carry my FNS9 concealed (OWB) I haven't had any issues either.
    Ditto with my red dots losing zero. I've used JPoints and Eotechs on rifles, and currently run two Trijicon RMR02s on pistols, and Millett Zoom dots on my patrol rifle and shotgun. Haven't had a problem with any of them losing zero, not even after battery changes.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Smith & Wesson now offering factory milled M&P CORE pistols:
    The Firearm Blog » S&W M&P Pro CORE (Competition Optics Ready Equipment)

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...W2012Final.pdf

My biggest concern would be
    Through the use of removable brackets, consumers are able to simply install the corresponding mounting screws to achieve the precise fit and height required.
    Having brackets vs direct connection will add a failure point to the set-up and won't be as strong.

I guess it's not a huge concern as these are directed at competition.

My buddy and LGS owner just returned from Costa's class this weekend, and he will not shut up about how well his RMR'd g19 performed. From malf clearances, to reloads, to hitting very hard to hit targets from very hard to shoot from positions, the RMR was invaluble to him.

dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I posted these pics on another thread, but in case you didn't see them, here they are for you to look at in the meantime. Bowie Tactical did the work on it.
    Attachment 59104Attachment 59105Attachment 59106
    nice i would like to do that to my G19 one day..BUT i keep thinking, if i need to spend $400+ on the setup, i can buy another gun..

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Smith & Wesson now offering factory milled M&P CORE pistols:
    The Firearm Blog » S&W M&P Pro CORE (Competition Optics Ready Equipment)

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...W2012Final.pdf

My biggest concern would beHaving brackets vs direct connection will add a failure point to the set-up and won't be as strong.

I guess it's not a huge concern as these are directed at competition.
    My FNP45T came with a couple of different bases/spacers to accommodate different sights, the screws go through the base and screw directly into the slide. I haven't had nor have I heard of anyone else having any sort of problem with the set up. My FNS-9 is set up the same way, with a spacer between the sight and the slide, no issues with it either. I can't imagine it'll be any different with the S&W. I don't see where there is any need for concern.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Remarkably good thread folks. Between this and the data in the external links I learned a lot.

I think the price of these things should come down over time, hopefully with out compromising reliability.

I think it takes a relatively thick gun to mount the sight - it's as wide as the relatively thick Glock slide. At the moment I have 5 different guns that get carried depending on clothes, etc. I don't see ever putting one of these on the P238 or LCP. I'm not sure I want some guns with iron sights and some with optics. But thanks to this thread, at least I know a lot more than I did, and I'll try to keep up just in case something happens to make it look like a good idea.

Thanks
    Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    My FNP45T came with a couple of different bases/spacers to accommodate different sights, the screws go through the base and screw directly into the slide. I haven't had nor have I heard of anyone else having any sort of problem with the set up. My FNS-9 is set up the same way, with a spacer between the sight and the slide, no issues with it either. I can't imagine it'll be any different with the S&W. I don't see where there is any need for concern.
    Perhaps just a difference in terminology. I've used plates and they do work.

But 'plates' and 'brackets' aren't the same thing, hence my concern.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links