What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat?

This is a discussion on What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not planning on getting one, but never understood of what use a mini-red-dot sight would be in a self-defense situation. I figured it wouldn't ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat?

I'm not planning on getting one, but never understood of what use a mini-red-dot sight would be in a self-defense situation. I figured it wouldn't be but that these sights were more for target range shooting.

Is that right?

Or, if used in combat/SD situations, how would it be used quickly, what would you see etc.?

Thanks

simply put, a red dot sight is just faster when acquiring the target. there is only one plane to look at - the dot seems to be floating on the target. one doesn't have to align target, front sight, and rear sight. most of the dots suitable for pistol use are small, light, and always on. just place the dot where you want the bullet to impact, and if the sight was zeroed properly, and you don't yank or jerk the gun off line when pressing the trigger, you'll hit where you're looking.

disadvantages are a slight increase in bulkiness, cost (both for the unit and for installation), increased fragility, and possible battery problems.
    SIGP250 and Kutz like this.

quicker sight aquisition just like on rifles. Too big for ccw IMO but I'm sure there are people who swear by them.

I let ya know when my Bowie Tactical M&P9c gets here

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I let ya know when my Bowie Tactical M&P9c gets here
    I posted these pics on another thread, but in case you didn't see them, here they are for you to look at in the meantime. Bowie Tactical did the work on it.
    PICT0007.JPGPICT0011.jpgPICT0009.jpg
    02R1 and Jaeger like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    I'm not planning on getting one, but never understood of what use a mini-red-dot sight would be in a self-defense situation. I figured it wouldn't be but that these sights were more for target range shooting.

Is that right?

Or, if used in combat/SD situations, how would it be used quickly, what would you see etc.?

Thanks
    My DeltaPoint does nothing to the view, except to superimpose a 7.5 mil triangle onto the sight picture. Instead of having to align the front and rear sights on the target, the top of the triangle indicates bullet strike. It is quick and easy to acquire and re-acquire the target between shots.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

JD
    Administrator
    What I've found in my very, very limited use of the Delta Point is that it eliminates my issues related to cross dominance...more on this later. I will say that Bowie has one of my HKs in to get cut for the Delta.

Hard to explain it, till you've tried it. I'm a believer in my rmr'd g17. Any time 'time' is on my side and I can take a very precise shot, the red dot only makes it easier. This advantage becomes more obvious as the distance increases. At just beyond "shoot'em off the gun" distances, if the target is in the window, start hookin' the trigger. If the pistol has been properly equipped with backup iron sights (suppressor sights), that are visible thru the window IF the battery should go out, you just default to using the sights like you've always done. Even then, its almost easier, as the window now sort of 'ghost rings' the sights and your target.

"......what use a mini-red-dot sight would be in a self-defense situation"- walleye

First, if you can use any sights at all, why not use the quickest and simplest? Target in window, dot on target. Anything you can do with irons, you can do better w a dot, provided you are willing to put the time in. Just like you did when you first started with the irons. If you can't use proper sights due to time and distance, ie vicious point shooting, you haven't lost anything by having the dot on the gun. As the time and distance increases, the dot will be more useful. As to its durability, mine has been thru well past 2k rounds of everything from tula, to 115g +p+ CorBons. While 2k is not a defining round count for lifetime durability, the way I worked the pistol during those rounds is a definite indicator of its toughness. The rmr is use to cycle the slide. Not just nice and easy cycle, but framming it w the palm of the charging hand to load, using it as the racking device on boot heels, belt buckles, counter tops, you name it.
    A drop of fingernail polish on the dials after zero, and its never moved. Gotten the pistol so hot you can hardly handle the slide, no problems. Indoor range w dust and smoke that'd fog your glasses, and it WILL fog the rmr, but I can still see my dot. Nothing but advantages. As far as carrying, get a holster designed to accomodate the pistol (w/ rmr) and fits you comfortably, and go.

dan
    SpongeBob BelieverPants

TSD Tier 3 gen4 17
    arprtagent and Kutz like this.

Mike 1956,
    how do you like the buis rear mounted ahead of your dot? Any appreciable difference then if mounted rear?

dan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What I've found in my very, very limited use of the Delta Point is that it eliminates my issues related to cross dominance...more on this later. I will say that Bowie has one of my HKs in to get cut for the Delta.
    I can fire at distance with both eyes open through the reflexive sight, something I have never been able to do with conventional sights due to some eye dominance problems.
    stancehold and Aceoky like this.
    William T. Sherman

RKM
    I can defiantly see there being advantages. You'd have to carry with it turned on, and unless it has "Aimpoint like" battery life, you're going to go through batteries ALOT. You'd never have time to turn it on in a self defense situation.

The Trijicon rm02 is always on. Battery life is 2 yrs, but I'll change mine annually "just to be sure".
    RMR FAQ's - Trijicon, Inc., all the way to the bottom question.

dan
    Kutz likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I can defiantly see there being advantages. You'd have to carry with it turned on, and unless it has "Aimpoint like" battery life, you're going to go through batteries ALOT. You'd never have time to turn it on in a self defense situation.

The Delta Point is motion activated, when you're carrying it and moving it will be on. Battery life is about 4 months +/- I'll probably do every three months just to be sure, but that's why the iron sights are better left intact in some fashion.

Good for competition and possibly hunting IMO. I would never think of one for SD. Better things available that don't stick out like a sore thumb and that you can find holsters for.
    Longbow likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    Mike 1956,
    how do you like the buis rear mounted ahead of your dot? Any appreciable difference then if mounted rear?

dan
    As far as aiming goes, I can see no difference at all. It does require an additional dove tail to be milled into the slide in addition to the milling work for the reflexive sight, which is about $55 at Bowie Tactical. It allows a higher, more shallow sight channel in the holster, which holster makers and wearers probably appreciate, and may serve to protect the front of the electronic sight.
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links