Ohio CCW needs some Alabama Advice - Page 2

Ohio CCW needs some Alabama Advice

This is a discussion on Ohio CCW needs some Alabama Advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ericb327 That sucks, contact your senator to support the National concealed carry reciprocity act of 2012. Do you think for a minute ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ohio CCW needs some Alabama Advice

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    That sucks, contact your senator to support the National concealed carry reciprocity act of 2012.
    Do you think for a minute that allowing the federal government to legislate gun laws is going to be an improvement? What the Feds giveth, the Feds can taketh away.

Have you ever noticed how the many wonderful folks in Illinois, a mostly rural state with the capitol in Springfield, are dictated to and taxed by the political machine in just one big city? It was also the situation in Wisconsin where the large rural state was ruled by the do-gooder, nanny statists in Madison. Just consider that on a national scale. Do you want LA, Chicago, NY, DC, SF, and Seattle to dictate our federal statutes such as the right to concealed carry? Do you really?

I would recommend you spend some time with The Federalist Papers. They make for a good read, even though they are a couple centuries old now.
    Freedom Doc likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    Just change you residency to Alabama. This way the only thing you have to do is take a $20 bill down to the sheriff's department and get a renew every year. No test, no shooting, and you're golden.

what school are you going to? I transfer in to UA next year and I already have my CCW but if you're a student that applies for a ccw you have to take a class at the UAPD on how you cant take your pistol on campus what so ever.
    You have to take a class to convey what you said in one sentence? Maybe I should stop my alumni contributions.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerJoe View Post
    Wow! Thanks to everyone for the advice! Your answers went above and beyond. It sounds like I have several different approaches I could take to tackle the problem (none of which I would've figured out on my own). I'll keep you up to date as for which pans out for me in the next few weeks when I make a trip south. For everyone who was wondering, I'll be attending UAB and living in Birmingham... which I always have to explain to family here in Ohio is not the tide (several AL folks have told me it won't be long til I'm converted to a fan... we'll see). Seems like the B-ham can be a little rough around the edges so a little extra piece of mind never hurt. Thanks again for helping me out, really appreciate it.
    Ah yes, I am around UAB often. They have their own rules with regard to weapons and since the "campus" takes up most of the south side, be sure to double check them. I carry through there all the time though (but I am not a student) Mike Hale is the Jefferson County Sheriff and even though we are a "may issue" state, I do not know of anyone who was denied a permit. Jefferson county is on the brink of bankruptcy so they want the revenue.

The only restrictions Jeff Co. places on their permit holders is that you can't drink or do drugs while carrying. And yes, parts of the student housing resides in less than nice places of town. Lots of crap happens late, so use your common sense. If you ever need to know where NOT to go, PM me and I'll give you the low down. I've lived here all my life.

And make sure you eat at Dreamland on 14th. It is a landmark and amazing barbecue.

I'm not sure where some of this information is coming from but it's inaccurate. There are no restrictions on going to bars, or drinking, while armed, however i'll be the first to admit it's a bozo idea.

It is not illegal to posses a firearm while on any college campus, however it is a violation of the administrative code for state institutions, and you could be expelled.

Check out the information for yourself at Jefferson County Sheriff's Office
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post
    I'm not sure where some of this information is coming from but it's inaccurate. There are no restrictions on going to bars, or drinking, while armed, however i'll be the first to admit it's a bozo idea.
    Each sheriff has the right to restrict as he sees fit. For instance, the St. Clair county sheriff restricts from carrying where alcohol is served. If you live in Jefferson county perhaps you should read the back of your permit. Here's mine. Pretty clear about not drinking while carrying.
    Attached Images

It is not illegal to posses a firearm while on any college campus, however it is a violation of the administrative code for state institutions, and you could be expelled.

Check out the information for yourself at Jefferson County Sheriff's Office
    The link provides information on what it takes to get a permit, and is very good info for the OP. However, it doesn't address the information that smolk points out.

Since UAB has their own police force, they may or may not take kindly to weapons on or around campus. I know they get all uppity if you try to carry the smallest of pocket knives into the ER at UAB.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Each sheriff has the right to restrict as he sees fit. For instance, the St. Clair county sheriff restricts from carrying where alcohol is served. If you live in Jefferson county perhaps you should read the back of your permit. Here's mine. Pretty clear about not drinking while carrying.
    Intriguing.. My Jefferson county permit, says nothing about alcohol, just terminals, courthouses etc. Although it is nearly time for me to renew, had to of changed in the last year.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Intriguing.. My Jefferson county permit, says nothing about alcohol, just terminals, courthouses etc. Although it is nearly time for me to renew, had to of changed in the last year.
    I don't know. I got my original permit in March of last year (2011) and it had the same thing on it. Just renewed, same exact verbiage. With Jeff Co who knows what goes on though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links