Ohio CCW needs some Alabama Advice

This is a discussion on Ohio CCW needs some Alabama Advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, Hi all this looks like a great forum! I need some advice from someone who's been through the process or knows how Alabama's CCW ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ohio CCW needs some Alabama Advice

First, Hi all this looks like a great forum!

I need some advice from someone who's been through the process or knows how Alabama's CCW licensing works. I have my CCW for Ohio (which I'm a resident) and will be moving to Alabama for grad school in the fall. I know OH/AL do not have a reciprocity agreement. Just a few questions:
    1. I've read some articles that Alabama does not offer CCW to non-residents, is this true? (If that's the case couldn't I just get my CCW in a state which AL honors before I move there...)
    2. Does Alabama offer an abbreviated "refresher course" in order to honor my current license?
    3. Any other recommendations? If you can't tell I really don't want to give up my right to carry simply because of a relocation.

Thanks in advance!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    That sucks, contact your senator to support the National concealed carry reciprocity act of 2012.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Handgunlaw.us

Look into a FL non-res license.

You may get into some issues with your state of residency, I am not sure how that applies to students.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

can't answer your question but welcome to the forum
    now just an option; look up ark law on ccw and see if you can qualify, some state if not all require you to be a resident for a given period and if that’s the case here I would advise you to get some pepper spray just in case

Just change you residency to Alabama. This way the only thing you have to do is take a $20 bill down to the sheriff's department and get a renew every year. No test, no shooting, and you're golden.

what school are you going to? I transfer in to UA next year and I already have my CCW but if you're a student that applies for a ccw you have to take a class at the UAPD on how you cant take your pistol on campus what so ever.

VIP Member
    A New Hampshire permit, obtainable by mail for $100 and usually received within two weeks of application makes you good in Alabama.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerJoe View Post
    First, Hi all this looks like a great forum!

I need some advice from someone who's been through the process or knows how Alabama's CCW licensing works. I have my CCW for Ohio (which I'm a resident) and will be moving to Alabama for grad school in the fall. I know OH/AL do not have a reciprocity agreement. Just a few questions:
    1. I've read some articles that Alabama does not offer CCW to non-residents, is this true? (If that's the case couldn't I just get my CCW in a state which AL honors before I move there...)
    2. Does Alabama offer an abbreviated "refresher course" in order to honor my current license?
    3. Any other recommendations? If you can't tell I really don't want to give up my right to carry simply because of a relocation.

Thanks in advance!
    1. Alabama does "pistol permits" only through the County Sheriff. You must reside in that county, so no non-resident permits. It takes 0-2 weeks to get a permit - go fill out the paperwork, go back pick up license. Your mileage may vary depending on the county.
    2. Alabama does not require any training, so no "course" to take.
    3. Your legal right to carry will take a couple of weeks, or less, to establish once you have a drivers license and an address. Or, as others have said, get a permit from a state that Alabama accepts.

I live in Ohio, also. Looked at several non-resident permits to go along with my Ohio permit. Considered Florida, but as I have family in Wisconsin, I wanted to find a non-resident permit which would allow me to carry in Wisconsin on my several visits there. The Utah non-resident permit fit the bill perfectly! I highly recommend this to compliment your Ohio permit. It appears to give me the ability to carry in all the states that the Florida permit allows, with the addition of Wisconsin.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry offers a class to obtain the permit, the cost is $35. Keep watching their website (Ohioans For Concealed Carry - The Premier Gun Rights Organization in Ohio Since 1999), they will announce upcoming classes or you can contact them directly for any upcoming classes. Once the class is complete, you send your application with a $65 fee to the Utah State Police and you will have your Utah permit within 60 days of receipt.

I know there are several trainers in Ohio that offer Florida training, but I am really glad I went the route of OFCC training for the Utah permit.

A couple things about your Ohio license. If you move, Ohio law says you are supposed to notify the sheriff that issued your license within 45 days of moving. However, there is no penalty for failing to do so. Some sheriffs will revoke your license if you tell them you have moved out of state and some do not.

Quote Originally Posted by TVille View Post
    1. Alabama does "pistol permits" only through the County Sheriff. You must reside in that county, so no non-resident permits. It takes 0-2 weeks to get a permit - go fill out the paperwork, go back pick up license. Your mileage may vary depending on the county.
    2. Alabama does not require any training, so no "course" to take.
    3. Your legal right to carry will take a couple of weeks, or less, to establish once you have a drivers license and an address. Or, as others have said, get a permit from a state that Alabama accepts.
    Correct except you have to be a resident of your county for 6 months.

EDIT: OK, I can't find where I got that info. Just call the county sheriff's office you are moving to and ask them. Alabama is very PRO gun. And FYI, open carry is legal without any license. HOWEVER you must have a CC permit to transport a loaded gun in your car.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    My permit is from alabama of course- i live in auburn. (I am a professor here- are you coming to the plains??) alabama does not have a "shall issue" law- go figure.but it is a very pro-gun state. my county sheriff is pro-carry and is a friend of mine. i took a handgun course from him. so legally, it is problematic, but in practice, it is simple and low cost to get a permit. the sheriff will help you. if you are going to tuscaloosa, i must admit i know less about it there, but i would be amazed if you had any problem.
    welcome to the south,
    God BLess
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

what part are you going to live in. In limestone or larence county you take $15 and walk out with your permit in 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefs-special-guy View Post
    if you are going to tuscaloosa
    You will be in the land of the 2009 and 2011 National Champions!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Correct except you have to be a resident of your county for 6 months.
    Well, since each Sheriff gets to make up their own rules, it could be that way in some counties.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    EDIT: OK, I can't find where I got that info. Just call the county sheriff's office you are moving to and ask them. Alabama is very PRO gun. And FYI, open carry is legal without any license. HOWEVER you must have a CC permit to transport a loaded gun in your car.
    Yes, it is very pro-gun, and while open carry is legal, I don't see it here very much. Good point about transporting loaded guns.

Wow! Thanks to everyone for the advice! Your answers went above and beyond. It sounds like I have several different approaches I could take to tackle the problem (none of which I would've figured out on my own). I'll keep you up to date as for which pans out for me in the next few weeks when I make a trip south. For everyone who was wondering, I'll be attending UAB and living in Birmingham... which I always have to explain to family here in Ohio is not the tide (several AL folks have told me it won't be long til I'm converted to a fan... we'll see). Seems like the B-ham can be a little rough around the edges so a little extra piece of mind never hurt. Thanks again for helping me out, really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links