Springfield xd in 40

This is a discussion on Springfield xd in 40 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been looking for another carry gun. I have a Bersa ultra compact pro 45 now. Yesterday I shot the xd short 3" barrel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield xd in 40

Springfield xd in 40

So I've been looking for another carry gun. I have a Bersa ultra compact pro 45 now.

Yesterday I shot the xd short 3" barrel in 40 yesterday and I really liked it. I've been looking at them for about a month. It's only 1 ounce lighter then my bersa unloaded. But holds more rounds.

I carry my bersa in a crossbread holster. I really like in the wasteband. Are there any similar holsters other the. Crossbreed for this gun?

What are you impressions of this gun.

2. Remove Ads

What are me impressions of that gun? I'll have to get back to you on that.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I've got a Springer Service .40, (4" Bbl.). Function has been 100%, ergonomics are fine for me, recoil is mild and accuracy is reasonable. Mine came with Trijicon night sights, which I like. Compared to my two other guns in .40 S&W, a Sig P229 SCT, and Glock 23, the XD holds it's own. The Glock is lighter and carries easier though; the XD has a more top heavy feel, but not so much that it detracts from the gun. My XD Service is my HD gun and doesn't see much carry time where the G23 is king.

Holster carry for the XD consists of a Dale Fricke Zac, and an El Paso Saddlery Summer Cruiser, a Bruce Nelson design, with a version available from pretty much any quality holster maker, (Milt Sparks's Summer Special, High Noon's Down Under, Galco's Royal Guard, etc.). I've been carrying the G23 in a Dale Fricke Archangel and it has become one of my favorite rigs. The Sig see's time in a Garrett Industries Slim AIWB, also an excellent holster. I own a Cross Breed, but don't carry with it due to a preference to carry AIWB now, and when carrying more traditionally I prefer a slimmer design.

The gun feels really good. I had great groupings at 8 yards. It's a point and shoot gun.

I'm not a Glock fan. I like the design of this gun.

For a personal defense gun, I like the 40 cal round and it's a hair smaller in length and height compared to my bersa.

It is a great gun. Mine has never failed me. I like the top heavy aspect for recoil and target acquisition on multiple shots. It is extremely easy to breakdown and clean as well. Because of it I would love to check out the xD m someday. When shooting the Smith and Wesson m&p side by side the Smith was more. omfy to shoot and had less felt recoil. This is all subjective of course.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I carry a SA XD40 SC daily in a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro, and love it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have a XD40 and absolutely zero problems. Fit and function is excellent. Very smooth shooting pistol. Mine is the "service" model. installed Meprolight sights on it but I chose orange rear and green front. DON'T DO THAT bad color combination! This one is in the not for sale side of the safe.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I carry the XD 9 Service model with a crossbreed holster. Will not have any problems finding a crossbrred for the XD 40. The 9 has function flawlessly and I have had it for almst 5 yrs. No hiccups yet shooting 200 rounds every practice session.

I have the XD40 SC and Service. The same Crossbreed IWB works great with both.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I have the XD40 SC and love the gun, Fed many types ammo though it and never had a problem. Very accurate, with good balance, super tigger.

I carried the XD40SC for about 5 years. I love the trigger pull (way better than my G19). It is a bit top heavy, and it is a heavy gun in general for a SC... If you like it, get it. How it fits in your hand and how you shoot with it are the important things.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Looks like I'm not the minority, here. I carry an XD .40 Service in a Crossbreed Supertuck. It is a little heavy, and it's about time to invest in a good gun belt, but I love the gun. Every time I have second thoughts about the size of my XD, I hit the range, and all doubt is forgotten. If I was ever to need to defend myself, I would want my XD in my hand. I, too have the trijicon sights. They lose a little daylight visibility over the stock sights, but more than make up for it in low light.

Between a glock, M&P, and XD - the XD fit my hand and felt the best at the range. I've been carrying it daily for almost 2 years, now. I will say that I'm interested in trying out the XDS, for times that I need a smaller gun. Typically, those times are few and far between - so it isn't a huge priority.

VIP Member
    I carried the XD .40 sub in a Pure Kustom holster and put I don't even know how many rounds through and it always performed flawlessly. I don't own it anymore but it never let me down while I had it.

It's a great gun, I wish I still had mine. Look at old faithful holsters. Same thing as the super tuck but if you don't mind doing a little bit of work you can buy a holster kit for under $40 instead of $75.

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckingba11 View Post
    It's a great gun, I wish I still had mine. Look at old faithful holsters. Same thing as the super tuck but if you don't mind doing a little bit of work you can buy a holster kit for under $40 instead of $75.
    OMG, they really need to fix the instant audio of their advertisement chick. My speakers were up and it just started blaring about gun holsters in the office, lol. Good thing everyone is pro-gun around here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links