This happend close - Page 2

This happend close

This is a discussion on This happend close within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess my larger question would be.... What would you do if you happened upon this scene and these thugs were beating this woman?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: This happend close

I guess my larger question would be....

What would you do if you happened upon this scene and these thugs were beating this woman?

Quote Originally Posted by WANNABE View Post

What would you do if you happened upon this scene and these thugs were beating this woman?
    The article said others had tried to approach and one BG had threatened them with a handgun. It doesn't address how one man did end up stopping the attack, but if I were one of the unarmed civilians I don't know that there's much that can be done other than calling on LE. I wouldn't be of any use to her dead. Even as someone who carries, I wouldn't be firing unless I could get close enough to be certain that my shot can only hit two of the three people involved in the scuffle.

The journalism leaves something to be desired, though. How DID that guy end up stopping the attack? And how, with so "many members at the Armburst gym" as witnesses, were they able to get so few details on the attackers? Two hispanic guys in a silver SUV? That's it?

VIP Member

It depends.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Mind you this is one busy 4 lane street as well. It happened pretty much on the shoulder as I could tell. Balzy thugs in my opinion.

I guess I could jump out of my car and hobble over with my cane and let them start beating me....taking some of the heat off her.

I would jump from my car and start shooting...not knowing what exactly is going on. Maybe shoot her by accident, but they wouldn't be beating her anymore.

I could sit in my locked car at a safe distance...put my weapon in my lap...and call the LEO and stay with them on the line them to give them updates.

I chose the last. Sorry, but her making a stupid move, doesn't mean I have to do a equally stupid move.
    Last edited by Spirit51; May 21st, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
    Rock and Glock and Bohunter like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I guess I could jump out of my car and hobble over with my cane and let them start beating me....taking some of the heat off her.

I would jump from my car and start shooting...not knowing what exactly is going on. Maybe shoot her by accident, but they wouldn't be beating her anymore.

I could side in my locked car at a safe distance...put my weapon in my lap...and call the LEO and stay with them on the line them to give them updates.

I chose the last. Sorry, but her making a stupid move, doesn't mean I have to do a equally stupid move.

I agree with this 100%. As I sit here thinking about it though, it would be hard to sit and watch someone being pounded.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Car door windows are easily shattered, and unless the carjacker is trying to come in through the windshield, he will be hard to draw a bead on with the bumper.
    True enough, but based on this statement my money is that they simply opened the door.

“They grabbed her by her hair and pulled her out of the car and started beating her,” Anderson said.

And you don't have to hit them to get away. Just mash on the gas. If you get them, great. If you don't, you still get away.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I agree with this 100%. As I sit here thinking about it though, it would be hard to sit and watch someone being pounded.
    If you are a able bodied man...that might be true. I am a disabled Nana and am long past the time when I could physically tackle two men...alone. One has to be aware of their limitations. Not being aware can do nothing but add to a bad situation and no one wins.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    One has to be aware of their limitations. Not being aware can do nothing but add to a bad situation and no one wins.
    Which is what led to this thread in the first place.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Good intentions ,,, will get you KILLED ,,,, if you mixed it up
    with stupidity.

I would never stand idly by and let a woman be assaulted, especially by TWO men. I'm not saying my gun would come into play, but I'll stand in and take the beating intended for her. That's just how this southern boy was raised. You don't hit a lady and you don't stand by and let a lady get hit. PERIOD.

Personally, I'd try to be a good witness and call 911. I carry for "me & mine" personal protection. You have everything to lose and nothing to gain by getting personally involved.

BTW. It would be my luck if I did get involved and had to pull my weapon in the defense of a third party, the victims would be anti-gun liberals and turn against me with the bias liberal Denver press. As I said, everything to lose and nothing to gain.

It's a sad state of affairs when you have to change your moral values to maintain your freedom and finances.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

That woman is a moron and though her intent to help is admirable, she was foolhardy to take that course of action.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

So, let me understand here, “She had a whole chunk of her hair torn out and her whole left side of her face is bashed in,” and the two thugs are whuppin up on her, and WANNABE wants to know how one of us, as a concealed weapon carrier, would respond to that scene?

IF I have understood the article, which is sooooo screwed up the way it is written, and I have understood the scenario/question as I stated above.....then folks, I'm sorry....I can understand calling 911, but if the beating is ongoing, then I CAN NOT understand just being a good witness and observing only. Key is, IF the beating is ONGOING. At that point, after calling 911, it would be a no brainer to intervene...Can anyone here, other than LEOs say "Felonious Assault"! Why would you NOT intervene as one human being on behalf of another? Sorry, I wasn't raised to ignore another human being being beaten by two thugs. We all say on here, "well, you really don't know what's going on, so it's better to not get involved." What the hell people, it doesn't take a brain giant to see TWO MEN BEATING THE SNOT OUT OF ONE WOMAN!...And at this point, IF the beating is ongoing, it's not like you would be drawing against the draw, you would be drawing to prevent another human being from possibly being killed in a beating. IF, upon intervening, one of the thugs then decided to attempt to present his weapon, then oh well, I guess that's what I have trained for, so time to put training to work.

Let's interject the scene a different way...What if it were one of your close friends that was being beaten and you came upon it? As a military member, what if it were one of your brothers in arms? How do you feel about it now?

Now, conversely, IF I came upon the beating, and it was finished, and the two thugs at that point were exiting the area, and I had not seen the beating in progress, but was only going by what bystanders yelled/said to me, then it would be CALL 911 and follow at a safe distance, while staying on the line and reporting to the dispatcher your location and what was happening..I wouldn't intervene but would wait for the police response, then safely pull over and prepare to give my statement..

JMO guys....
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

First!!
    Exactly what I was looking for. I talked to my wife about this, and I guess where I would have screwed up was I was thinking draw due to the fact of two guys there. Maybe a bad idea, but I had 2 90+ year olds in the car as well as my wife. I will never stand by and let sombody get pounded!!! EVER. Alot of people can say after the fact, but it was close, and I have even said to myself....What the hell am I carrying for?? I almost decided to stop carrying after most of these posts.
    Changed my mind... I guess I will do what "I" can live with after the fact.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links