This happend close

This is a discussion on This happend close within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two guys pounding on a lady and I am there? Her beating will end very suddenly. Don't care a whit if she did something foolish. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: This happend close

Two guys pounding on a lady and I am there?

Her beating will end very suddenly. Don't care a whit if she did something foolish. Those guys would have a bigger problem than that lady. Much bigger. Me. Fists, guns, knives, whatever. They WILL back off of her.

You see, I have to live with myself and adhere to my own standards. There will be no beatings like that in my presence.

And this is not "JMO". This is an historical fact. Dealt with it before. Decisively. And would be obligated to do so again.
    lyz_grace, stancehold and smolck like this.

2. Remove Ads

Good to know there are at least a few DC members who I can count on to do more than stand there on their phones if I'm being assaulted in front of them.
    stancehold, ericb327 and smolck like this.

I am NOT going to jump in, cane a waving, and get into the "thick of the fray". I am not jumping out with guns a blazing. Call me all the "coward" names you wish. I have jumped into more actual conflicts than most of you would ever see....when I was young and working with my team or LEOs. I will NOT jump, alone, into some stupid situation just because another woman was stupid enough to do what SHE did. I put my life on the line many times in the course of my career, which ended up costing me for the rest of my life. My defensive stand is for my self and my family. Sorry, but that is just the way it is. This Nana has given enough in her lifetime to the general public...not any more. I will match my compassion to any of you, but I will not match the stupidity.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I don't know if ^that^ post was directed at mine, but I wasn't referring to you, Spirit, or even this scenario. Guess I've just been kind of surprised at the no-questions-asked "not my problem" vibe a lot of recent posts have given off on other threads. Sorry if it came off that way
    stancehold likes this.

While this woman may have made a wrong decision there is no reason to call her a moron, stupid etc. We all know that most, if not all, of us throughout our lives have made stupid, moronic, etc., decisions.
    smolck and lyz_grace like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Car door windows are easily shattered
    Not that easily. I've seen several videos of police trying to get someone out of a locked car and it usually takes them more than one wack to break the glass. It certainly would have bought her time to put the car in gear and leave.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Spirit51 likes this.

Hindsight is always perfect vision.

Problem is, if we hadn't read the article explaining HOW and WHY the lady victim was there, what would our thought and reaction process be?

You're driving into a parking lot and you see two males beating the hell out of a defenseless female--what do you do?

What I do is I put the two males on the ground by whatever means necessary. Have done it more times than I'm capable of counting, so maybe I have an advantage. On the other hand, like everyone else, I have no idea what the backstory is--but what I do know is that from my own Texas upbringing, no man watches a lady get beat like that and does nothing.

Call the police, yell at the alpha-hotels that you've called the cops, yell at other men around to help the lady out, whatever, but do something.

I do not doubt that anyone here would do something for the woman. Problem is, we all read the newspaper article which explained that she got a case of the stupids which resulted in her being in a bad situation. That skews our opinion and thus our thinking as to what any of us would do.

But driving down the street and seeing two men severely beating a woman and simply doing nothing?

Imagine if it had been your wife or your mom or your sister or your daughter on the receiving end of the beating and how you'd feel if nobody did anything.

I often times wish that people who adamantly insist that "it's only about them and theirs" would wear a hat or a button or a tattoo or something that would identify them as such so that if I ever saw them having a heart attack or bleeding in a car wreck or drowning in a lake or getting mugged/beaten/raped, I would be able to identify them as a "me only and only me" individual and just walk on by.

Works both ways. America is a team sport and if we, the good folks, do not look out for each other, our families, towns and communities, the scumbags will continue to grow stronger and win more with each passing day.

JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDKinman View Post

Problem is, if we hadn't read the article explaining HOW and WHY the lady victim was there, what would our thought and reaction process be?

You're driving into a parking lot and you see two males beating the hell out of a defenseless female--what do you do?

What I do is I put the two males on the ground by whatever means necessary. Have done it more times than I'm capable of counting, so maybe I have an advantage. On the other hand, like everyone else, I have no idea what the backstory is--but what I do know is that from my own Texas upbringing, no man watches a lady get beat like that and does nothing.

Call the police, yell at the alpha-hotels that you've called the cops, yell at other men around to help the lady out, whatever, but do something.

I do not doubt that anyone here would do something for the woman. Problem is, we all read the newspaper article which explained that she got a case of the stupids which resulted in her being in a bad situation. That skews our opinion and thus our thinking as to what any of us would do.

But driving down the street and seeing two men severely beating a woman and simply doing nothing?

Imagine if it had been your wife or your mom or your sister or your daughter on the receiving end of the beating and how you'd feel if nobody did anything.

I often times wish that people who adamantly insist that "it's only about them and theirs" would wear a hat or a button or a tattoo or something that would identify them as such so that if I ever saw them having a heart attack or bleeding in a car wreck or drowning in a lake or getting mugged/beaten/raped, I would be able to identify them as a "me only and only me" individual and just walk on by.

Works both ways. America is a team sport and if we, the good folks, do not look out for each other, our families, towns and communities, the scumbags will continue to grow stronger and win more with each passing day.

JD
    I think I like this new guy, well said
    lyz_grace and First Sgt like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nazshooter View Post
    Not that easily. I've seen several videos of police trying to get someone out of a locked car and it usually takes them more than one wack to break the glass. It certainly would have bought her time to put the car in gear and leave.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    This is very true. My buddy owns a BMW salvage yard and I was messing around and he said "you want to break a window" I said "sure" (cause deep down I am still 12). So I grabbed a tire iron and gave it a whack. It jarred my arms and bounced off. I got a little more gumption and gave it another whack. Same result. I hit it 5 times HARD before I finally got it to break. It was quite an eye opener. Apparently my buddy gets a kick out of doing this because he says EVERYONE who tries is amazed at how hard they are to break.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    While this woman may have made a wrong decision there is no reason to call her a moron, stupid etc. We all know that most, if not all, of us throughout our lives have made stupid, moronic, etc., decisions.
    Stupid acts are done by people doing stupid actions. No way to sugar coat it. Her confronting two young Hispanic men who just stole a stranger's purse from a car was stupid. If she hasn't learned that by now it says volumes about her continuing lack of intelligence.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by JDKinman View Post

JD
    I guess it is your turn to wear the cape with the big red S on it. There is a big difference between stopping to give aid and getting yourself beaten because of misplaced "bravo". Of course if you ask the people who stop on a deserted road to "render aid" and get jumped and robbed they might have a different out look on even giving aid.

I don't get paid anymore to put my life on the line. My doing that in my over 15 year career has left me crippled, not being able to do the many activates I used to...for no good reason. YOUR TURN. Going to the store or a movie is a huge effort for me...thanks to my working a job most of you wouldn't soil your hands with on people you wouldn't cross the street to wipe your shoes on. I will not be belittled by people who have not a idea of what really happens in the world and I resent people who continue to belittle others for taking the stand they do. I will take care of me and mine so YOU don't have to.

There's a big difference between having to act and just writing about it.
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

I don't disagree with the fact that helping others is risky. Even dangerous. But life is dangerous. Maybe I'm just being naive, but I hope I never see the day where I become so scared of possibilities that it keeps me from acting like a human being (read: not a superhero vigilante, just someone with a conscience). I lose faith in people on an individual basis. Humanity as a whole doesn't deserve to be treated as a death trap.
    ericb327 likes this.

I am finished with this thread. I am sick of seeing some of you belittle those who use common sense on what they will jump into. I could care less about the macho "chest beating", but making judgements on others is just sickening.
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I am finished with this thread. I am sick of seeing some of you belittle those who use common sense on what they will jump into. I could care less about the macho "chest beating", but making judgements on others is just sickening.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't you just call someone a super hero!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I guess it is your turn to wear the cape with the big red S on it. There is a big difference between stopping to give aid and getting yourself beaten because of misplaced "bravo". Of course if you ask the people who stop on a deserted road to "render aid" and get jumped and robbed they might have a different out look on even giving aid.

I don't get paid anymore to put my life on the line. My doing that in my over 15 year career has left me crippled, not being able to do the many activates I used to...for no good reason. YOUR TURN. Going to the store or a movie is a huge effort for me...thanks to my working a job most of you wouldn't soil your hands with on people you wouldn't cross the street to wipe your shoes on. I will not be belittled by people who have not a idea of what really happens in the world and I resent people who continue to belittle others for taking the stand they do. I will take care of me and mine so YOU don't have to.

There's a big difference between having to act and just writing about it.
    Spirit, for some reason you have taken this whole thread as a personal attack against you. I have to say, based on going back and rereading the responses, I see nothing of the kind. I believe we all can say thank you to you for your career of service as a PARAMEDIC (according to your profile). I personally, if ever needed, would want a highly competent and compassionate paramedic to be working on me. One that would pull out all the stops to save my life if I were critically injured, inorder to get me to a medical facility for further treatment. And in reading your responses, I think everyone on here is smart enough to gather that you are now disabled and are not capable of doing the things that you once did, in both service to humanity, and in taking care of yourself and your family as you were/had been used to doing. It sounds like you are quite bitter as to your incapacitation/disabilities and want to warn all of us of the perils of assistance and the potential consequences.

So let me point out, that just as you became upset, because you felt some folks were disrespecting the posters that chose to call 911 and be a good witness, YOU are doing the same, when you let your feelings enter into your posts and begin accusing folks of "wearing a cape" and having "misplaced bravo" (I think you meant bravado)...I have seen NO PERSONAL ATTACKS in any of the responses. Each and every one of us has a different mindset, a different skillset, and a different approach to life. Each of us has to live with ourselves in any and all decisions we make in life. We are all big boys and big girls here Spirit, regardless of what you may think. And there are many of us who also have put our lives on the line manytimes in our lifetimes. To say that someone has been belittling you, and that others are not as worldly as yourself because we don't know what happens in this big bad world, is just soooooo much nonsense. I'm sorry for your disabilities, I'm sorry you feel that others are belittling you, I'm sorry if you feel that your 15 years of service to your fellow human beings has only resulted in heartache to you because of the activities that you can no longer participate in, but like YOU say, I'M not going to sit here and let you or anyone else pretend to JUDGE me and my background/abilities/intent, or anyone else's. It appears to me that YOU ma'am, have used a bit of "reverse belittling" when you ASSUME that you were doing a job that none of of would soil our hands to do. What gives YOU the right to do that?

These situations are posted to learn from, to assess our potential in reacting and to determine at what point we either are satisfied with ourselves and our chosen paths in said scenarios, or do we wish to continue to train and improve upon our abilities given the fact that we are still physically able to do so. So Spirit, I say to you, I don't wear a Cape with a big "S" on it, but I haven't let life make me so bitter as to "call out" those folks who have the ability to render assistance in a given situation, and accuse them of being "macho chest beaters" with no common sense.... JMO
    MotorCityGun and BkCo1 like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links