This happend close - Page 4

This happend close

This is a discussion on This happend close within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by First Sgt Spirit, for some reason you have taken this whole thread as a personal attack against you. I have to say, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 52 of 52
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: This happend close

  1. #46
    Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MichiGUN
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Spirit, for some reason you have taken this whole thread as a personal attack against you. I have to say, based on going back and rereading the responses, I see nothing of the kind. I believe we all can say thank you to you for your career of service as a PARAMEDIC (according to your profile). I personally, if ever needed, would want a highly competent and compassionate paramedic to be working on me. One that would pull out all the stops to save my life if I were critically injured, inorder to get me to a medical facility for further treatment. And in reading your responses, I think everyone on here is smart enough to gather that you are now disabled and are not capable of doing the things that you once did, in both service to humanity, and in taking care of yourself and your family as you were/had been used to doing. It sounds like you are quite bitter as to your incapacitation/disabilities and want to warn all of us of the perils of assistance and the potential consequences.

    So let me point out, that just as you became upset, because you felt some folks were disrespecting the posters that chose to call 911 and be a good witness, YOU are doing the same, when you let your feelings enter into your posts and begin accusing folks of "wearing a cape" and having "misplaced bravo" (I think you meant bravado)...I have seen NO PERSONAL ATTACKS in any of the responses. Each and every one of us has a different mindset, a different skillset, and a different approach to life. Each of us has to live with ourselves in any and all decisions we make in life. We are all big boys and big girls here Spirit, regardless of what you may think. And there are many of us who also have put our lives on the line manytimes in our lifetimes. To say that someone has been belittling you, and that others are not as worldly as yourself because we don't know what happens in this big bad world, is just soooooo much nonsense. I'm sorry for your disabilities, I'm sorry you feel that others are belittling you, I'm sorry if you feel that your 15 years of service to your fellow human beings has only resulted in heartache to you because of the activities that you can no longer participate in, but like YOU say, I'M not going to sit here and let you or anyone else pretend to JUDGE me and my background/abilities/intent, or anyone else's. It appears to me that YOU ma'am, have used a bit of "reverse belittling" when you ASSUME that you were doing a job that none of of would soil our hands to do. What gives YOU the right to do that?

    These situations are posted to learn from, to assess our potential in reacting and to determine at what point we either are satisfied with ourselves and our chosen paths in said scenarios, or do we wish to continue to train and improve upon our abilities given the fact that we are still physically able to do so. So Spirit, I say to you, I don't wear a Cape with a big "S" on it, but I haven't let life make me so bitter as to "call out" those folks who have the ability to render assistance in a given situation, and accuse them of being "macho chest beaters" with no common sense.... JMO
    With ALL DUE RESPECT to Spirit51, if there ever was an appropriate time to use the term "bingo", it would be to 1stSgt's response.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

    NRA Life


  2. #47
    Member Array JDKinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I guess it is your turn to wear the cape with the big red S on it.
    Sorry, no cape with a big red S on it.

    It was a uniform with U.S. Air Force on it and going into harm's way is what we did. This weekend, I'll be doing the usual sunrise ceremonies for my buddies who didn't come back, and presenting flags "on behalf of grateful nation" to the new widows, orphans and family members whose sons and daughters decided that humanity is still worth risking their own lives for.

    Go talk to an Air Force PJ or a Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer or a Navy Combat Swimmer--those folks are in the "put yourself before others" category. Every single member--past, present and future--of our Armed Forces are in the business of handing the American people a blank check for an amount up to, and including if necessary, their life for helping their fellow man out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    There's a big difference between having to act and just writing about it.
    I reckon so, and I've got the scars from my time in both the military and law enforcement to prove it. My wife jokes that I sound like a bad bowl of Rice Krispies when I get out of bed in the morning what with all the "snap, crackle and popping" I do.

    You chose to make this personal by belittling anyone and everyone whose genetic soup dictates that we not simply walk by a defenseless and helpless human being getting beat or raped or assaulted by human sewage known as habitual criminals. That is your bitterness at what "the job" did to you, and trust me--I know all about what "the job" can and often does to people. I've seen the 3 Diseases up close and I've stood graveside with black tape on my badge over cops, firefighters and paramedics who succumbed to the Third Disease (1. Substance abuse. 2. Marital/personal relationship problems. 3. Smoking your gun.)

    But you know what? I doubt, Spirit, that you'd walk on past that lady who was getting beat if you didn't know the story. I figure you'd at least call the police or you might even stop your car or approach and yell, curse, scream or whatever. You'd hate it, to be sure, but you'd do it.

    You don't walk away from fifteen years on The Job and see a helpless woman getting severely beat and simply turn your head. You might go home and down a couple of shots and swear at yourself for getting involved when you swore you never would again, but I think your genetic soup is pretty much the same as most everyone else's here.

    JD
    First Sgt likes this.
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

  3. #48
    VIP Member Array smolck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Stupid acts are done by people doing stupid actions. No way to sugar coat it. Her confronting two young Hispanic men who just stole a stranger's purse from a car was stupid. If she hasn't learned that by now it says volumes about her continuing lack of intelligence.
    You are 100% correct. But what would happen if a doctor said "I can't treat your broken leg because you should have known better than to try and climb that mountain" Or "I won't operate on your heart because you are too stupid to stop smoking".

    I am not a LEO, military, or anything of the sort. But my own set of values and "southern raising" would force me to get involved. I pray I never have to be in that situation. But being close in the past I know I'd act. And as much as we here in the south get ribbed for being rednecks and morons, I'll say this, we know how to treat our women.

    And please understand, this isn't an attack on you personally. Just using your thought to make my own.

  4. #49
    VIP Member Array Spirit51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Spirit, for some reason you have taken this whole thread as a personal attack against you. I have to say, based on going back and rereading the responses, I see nothing of the kind. I believe we all can say thank you to you for your career of service as a PARAMEDIC (according to your profile). I personally, if ever needed, would want a highly competent and compassionate paramedic to be working on me. One that would pull out all the stops to save my life if I were critically injured, inorder to get me to a medical facility for further treatment. And in reading your responses, I think everyone on here is smart enough to gather that you are now disabled and are not capable of doing the things that you once did, in both service to humanity, and in taking care of yourself and your family as you were/had been used to doing. It sounds like you are quite bitter as to your incapacitation/disabilities and want to warn all of us of the perils of assistance and the potential consequences.

    So let me point out, that just as you became upset, because you felt some folks were disrespecting the posters that chose to call 911 and be a good witness, YOU are doing the same, when you let your feelings enter into your posts and begin accusing folks of "wearing a cape" and having "misplaced bravo" (I think you meant bravado)...I have seen NO PERSONAL ATTACKS in any of the responses. Each and every one of us has a different mindset, a different skillset, and a different approach to life. Each of us has to live with ourselves in any and all decisions we make in life. We are all big boys and big girls here Spirit, regardless of what you may think. And there are many of us who also have put our lives on the line manytimes in our lifetimes. To say that someone has been belittling you, and that others are not as worldly as yourself because we don't know what happens in this big bad world, is just soooooo much nonsense. I'm sorry for your disabilities, I'm sorry you feel that others are belittling you, I'm sorry if you feel that your 15 years of service to your fellow human beings has only resulted in heartache to you because of the activities that you can no longer participate in, but like YOU say, I'M not going to sit here and let you or anyone else pretend to JUDGE me and my background/abilities/intent, or anyone else's. It appears to me that YOU ma'am, have used a bit of "reverse belittling" when you ASSUME that you were doing a job that none of of would soil our hands to do. What gives YOU the right to do that?

    These situations are posted to learn from, to assess our potential in reacting and to determine at what point we either are satisfied with ourselves and our chosen paths in said scenarios, or do we wish to continue to train and improve upon our abilities given the fact that we are still physically able to do so. So Spirit, I say to you, I don't wear a Cape with a big "S" on it, but I haven't let life make me so bitter as to "call out" those folks who have the ability to render assistance in a given situation, and accuse them of being "macho chest beaters" with no common sense.... JMO
    Point taken and I am sorry if I offended anyone. Your right...have a job I was damn good at taken away is not good by any means. There was a time I could do more, but not now. If anyone thinks it would not personally pain me to have to watch any innocent person get beaten...you would be totally wrong. Learning to live with the limitations foisted me is very difficult and doesn't get easier with time. Maybe I am sensitive to some comments. No knowing what limitations others may have, I really don't like to see anyone's decision criticized. It is their choice...like yours is yours. So again....sorry for any offense.
    ericb327 likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

  5. #50
    VIP Member Array Spirit51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by JDKinman View Post
    Sorry, no cape with a big red S on it.

    It was a uniform with U.S. Air Force on it and going into harm's way is what we did. This weekend, I'll be doing the usual sunrise ceremonies for my buddies who didn't come back, and presenting flags "on behalf of grateful nation" to the new widows, orphans and family members whose sons and daughters decided that humanity is still worth risking their own lives for.

    Go talk to an Air Force PJ or a Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer or a Navy Combat Swimmer--those folks are in the "put yourself before others" category. Every single member--past, present and future--of our Armed Forces are in the business of handing the American people a blank check for an amount up to, and including if necessary, their life for helping their fellow man out.



    I reckon so, and I've got the scars from my time in both the military and law enforcement to prove it. My wife jokes that I sound like a bad bowl of Rice Krispies when I get out of bed in the morning what with all the "snap, crackle and popping" I do.

    You chose to make this personal by belittling anyone and everyone whose genetic soup dictates that we not simply walk by a defenseless and helpless human being getting beat or raped or assaulted by human sewage known as habitual criminals. That is your bitterness at what "the job" did to you, and trust me--I know all about what "the job" can and often does to people. I've seen the 3 Diseases up close and I've stood graveside with black tape on my badge over cops, firefighters and paramedics who succumbed to the Third Disease (1. Substance abuse. 2. Marital/personal relationship problems. 3. Smoking your gun.)

    But you know what? I doubt, Spirit, that you'd walk on past that lady who was getting beat if you didn't know the story. I figure you'd at least call the police or you might even stop your car or approach and yell, curse, scream or whatever. You'd hate it, to be sure, but you'd do it.

    You don't walk away from fifteen years on The Job and see a helpless woman getting severely beat and simply turn your head. You might go home and down a couple of shots and swear at yourself for getting involved when you swore you never would again, but I think your genetic soup is pretty much the same as most everyone else's here.

    JD
    To see what I would do....check out # 20 on this thread. Then read my response to First Sgt. Sorry to you too for any offense.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

  6. #51
    VIP Member Array First Sgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    7,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Point taken and I am sorry if I offended anyone. Your right...have a job I was damn good at taken away is not good by any means. There was a time I could do more, but not now. If anyone thinks it would not personally pain me to have to watch any innocent person get beaten...you would be totally wrong. Learning to live with the limitations foisted me is very difficult and doesn't get easier with time. Maybe I am sensitive to some comments. No knowing what limitations others may have, I really don't like to see anyone's decision criticized. It is their choice...like yours is yours. So again....sorry for any offense.
    Spirit...there's NO offense taken...I feel your pain when it comes to something you were good at being taken away. But, I'm sure your knowledge and experience is invaluable to others, so why not offer your services as a mentor or part time instructor. Heck fire, start a thread on here concerning some basics that you would recommend each of us concentrate on for our own benefit. Maybe give an illustration of a do it yourself First Aid Kit. Having physical limitations, is NOT an end all to a productive and interesting life. I personally value your input here on the forum and always enjoy reading your responses..So please continue to contribute. I'm sure many of us would enjoy hearing some of your personal experiences and perhaps it will point out to members here, including myself, that we need to take some medical training and have that as a tool in our tool box. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

  7. #52
    Member Array JDKinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    To see what I would do....check out # 20 on this thread. Then read my response to First Sgt. Sorry to you too for any offense.
    None taken whatsoever. I understand exactly how you feel. Believe me.

    JD
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

happend

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors