3 More Weeks Till Virginia! - Page 2

3 More Weeks Till Virginia!

This is a discussion on 3 More Weeks Till Virginia! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I travel through VA quite frequently. You can have your trunk full of guns with no problem. Just don't let them find a radar detector ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 3 More Weeks Till Virginia!

I travel through VA quite frequently. You can have your trunk full of guns with no problem. Just don't let them find a radar detector in there. They HATE radar detectors.
    ducatirider likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidboot View Post
    I travel through VA quite frequently. You can have your trunk full of guns with no problem. Just don't let them find a radar detector in there. They HATE radar detectors.
    Groan. I have two that are state-of-the-art. As a "preacher" people get in my car and are aghast that I would be trying to cheat the authorities. It has nothing to do with cheating and everything to do with a cold slap up side of the head to remind me to do the speed limit. I drive a lot in my work and can go into lala land with my thoughts.

Thanks to ALL for the help and input. 14 years ago when we landed in Tucson I thought I moved to Mars. Now I feel like I'm moving to Mayberry, RFD. We have a rental (we always rent the first year) in some place called, "Massanutten". Rented it sight unseen. It's halfway up a mountain and about fifteen minutes or less from the Appalachian Trail. Time to get the rust out of my legs and find that titanium 44 mag that I practically gave away!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by Skidboot View Post
    And the cops in VA do not take too kindly to those going more than 9 over.

I think the phrase is "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine."
    BugDude, DaveH and packinnova like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Yeah, I've heard those Mennonites can throw a wild party.
    Every Amish woman's fantasy....3 Mennonite.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Dude, I lived in the mountains of VA for the last 14 years and just moved to the Gulf Coast of Florida 6 months ago. I miss it up there terribly!!! But I'm enjoying the very different things Florida has to offer too. Virginia is a great state to live in for many reasons, being gun friendly is just one of them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Massuntten is most known for being a ski resort, but I think you'll find the Shenandoah Valley one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Good luck and welcome.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Vanav!
    Dude! I actually thought of doing that but it just doesn't have quite the "sound" of Aznav.
    Navva kind of has a ring to it.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Check out the Virginia Gun Owners Forum: Virginia Gun Owners Forum • VGOF. Lots of good info and notes on places to shoot, events, etc.

VIP Member
    Top Gun is the closest indoor range in the burg. Handguns and .22 rifles only.

Flying Rabbit is an excellent public trap and sporting clays facility just south of town. Heck, the rabbit and Top Gun are only about a half mile from each other.

About 30 minutes south are a couple of great private clubs, the Stonewall Rifle and Pistol Club, and their sister club Shenandale which is in Buffalo Gap.

The VDGIF has several outdoor ranges within an hours drive of town.

Over in Charlottesville is a great private club called Rivanna Rifle and Pistol club.

There are another half dozen small clubs within about an hours drive too.

You will be just up the road a piece from me. Howdy neighbor!!!

Welcome to Virginia. Can't tell you anything about Harrisonburg cause I'm out here in the sticks (er. mountains) a loooong way from there.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

We have a rental (we always rent the first year) in some place called, "Massanutten". Rented it sight unseen. It's halfway up a mountain and about fifteen minutes or less from the Appalachian Trail. Time to get the rust out of my legs and find that titanium 44 mag that I practically gave away!
    I live about half way between Massanutten and Harrisonburg. If you find that titanium .44 mag and need a place to shoot it, you are welcome to stop in try out my shooting range (dirt pile) in the back yard.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    you can not have any mag larger than 20rds without a CHP, which for somebody moving to the state would probably apply even if temporary.
    And others:

See comment at #11

That law only applies to the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William -- A.K.A NOVA & part of Tide-water not the valley.

Also note ownership of such mags and even having them in a firearm in your home is also OK in even those local municipalities. They are only prohibited in "public places" -- I.e., "...on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public...."

----------------------

aznova,

Be sure to check us out Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL) You do not need to join to sign-up for the Alerts. We don't give or sell the mailing list, so getting the Alerts is a good way to check us out.

Also, pick up a Where-not-to-carry card or print one off at: http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/VCDL_Carry_Card.pdf

Hope to see you in Richmond at Lobby day.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Yeah, I've heard those Mennonites can throw a wild party.
    I used to party at JMU all the time. Not a lot of Mennonites around those parts. It was wild - trust me.

VIP Member
    It's halfway up a mountain and about fifteen minutes or less from the Appalachian Trail. Time to get the rust out of my legs and find that titanium 44 mag that I practically gave away!
    For years (about 50), I maintained the AT intermittently (e.g., broken up by USMC, TDY in my "civilian" job, etc).

Also, was part of the Massarock Crew that built the "Massanutten Trail" -- a 71-mile loop trail PATC -- Massanutten Ring Trails
    Spent at least a week-a-year on that sucker, for a number of years.

If you really get the Rust out check out the MMT 100, for next year Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 Mile Run -- Home Page

Every June there was a Woodstock Vintage Festival that was fun. Ditto, the Edinburg 'Ole Time Festival in September. For years there was a CCC reunion (same weekend as one of these two, but dang I I remember which -- check wit the local USFS office).
    The CCC reunion was connected with the first CCC camp in the country that opened on the George Washington National Forest. This was Camp F-1, Camp Roosevelt, situated 9 miles east of Edinburg, VA.

Fond memories.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links