3 More Weeks Till Virginia!

This is a discussion on 3 More Weeks Till Virginia! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods, please move if necessary. Leaving Arizona in 3 weeks. Man, I'm going to miss this place. Moving to Harrisonburg, Va. Would like any Shenandoah ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 3 More Weeks Till Virginia!

Distinguished Member

3 More Weeks Till Virginia!

Mods, please move if necessary. Leaving Arizona in 3 weeks. Man, I'm going to miss this place. Moving to Harrisonburg, Va. Would like any Shenandoah Valley folks to steer me to ranges, indoors and out, IDPA, etc. Thanks!

ps. any pertinent info for ccw, long guns, shotguns, mag limits etc would also be appreciated.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Welcome to Virginia, well almost.

Va is a gun friendly state, OC is legal if your into that. CCW is allowed in places that serve alcohol as long as you don't drink and not allowed in the typical places, courthouses, LEO stations Etc. No mag capacity limits. I'm closer to Richmond, I'm sure others can chime in with more local specifics to the Valley area for IDPA and ranges.

Harrisonburg is a beautiful area. I love visiting up there.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Welcome to and from Virginia. Don't know much about that area. But,if you google IDPA affiliated clubs by state,a big map of the U.S. will come up. Click on the State you want (Virginia) and all IDPA clubs in that state will come up.

VIP Member
    Vanav!
    aznav likes this.

Best of luck in your move :D
    aznav likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Vanav!
    Dude! I actually thought of doing that but it just doesn't have quite the "sound" of Aznav.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    Welcome to and from Virginia. Don't know much about that area. But,if you google IDPA affiliated clubs by state,a big map of the U.S. will come up. Click on the State you want (Virginia) and all IDPA clubs in that state will come up.
    Ray, and I'm not sure by any stretch, but I thought I read that you can't have 30 round mags for AR's.

Harrisonburg is wild.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Harrisonburg is wild.
    Yeah, I've heard those Mennonites can throw a wild party.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Ray, and I'm not sure by any stretch, but I thought I read that you can't have 30 round mags for AR's.
    Well, if that's true (it's NOT) I have about 25 illegals sitting in my go-bag and another 4 in the chest rig and one in the AR....

Welcome (soon) to the Commonwealth...I usually refer to her as Aunt Virginia (you know, with Uncle Sam...OK, it use to be funny)...

I too can't help you with ranges as I'm in Northern VA near the People's Republic of Maryland and D.C. (the District of Corruption)...

If you ever get up here, then I can help and don't hesitate to ask...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    I think what your referring to on the hi-capacity ban is this. With a CHP it does not apply. Actually it doesn't apply to an AR or AK style rifle. I do know for a fact 30 round AK and AR magazines are allowed.

18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    VA is very gun friendly. When you apply for your permit, the state has 45 days to approve or disapprove it. After 45 days, the County Clerk is required by law to issue a temporary permit. You can apply for your permit as soon as you get a drivers license. No residency time requirements.

Here is a link to the VA State Police. Lots of good information on firearms and CCW permits on these pages.

Virginia State Police - Firearms/Concealed Weapons
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yeah, I've heard those Mennonites can throw a wild party.
    Almost forgot, drive carefully outside of town, I have come around a bend in the road to see an Amish horse and buggy in the road more than once. I believe one got hit a couple years back.

Interstate 81 is a Major North/South Highway, with all the hills, the trucks can really stack up and can cause rolling road blocks as well as a lot of accidents. Plus the state Police patrol it a lot. So watch your speed.

It's also a collage town, kind of. JMU is located there, but its on the Med size.

I've seen some talk on here about SD classes in the H-Burg area, but the schools name escapes me at the moment.

You gotta go visit Luray Caverns and see the stelagpipe organ, largest instrument in the world. There are a lot of other caverns in the area also, that one is the biggest.

Good luck,
    aznav likes this.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I think what your referring to on the hi-capacity ban is this. With a CHP it does not apply. Actually it doesn't apply to an AR or AK style rifle. I do know for a fact 30 round AK and AR magazines are allowed.
    I agree, your fine, bring all your good toys, and enjoy. If you were closer to Richmond, I'd try to sell you my place, 22 acres and a small shooting area already carved out.
    aznav likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Va is a gun friendly state, OC is legal if your into that. CCW is allowed in places that serve alcohol as long as you don't drink and not allowed in the typical places, courthouses, LEO stations Etc. No mag capacity limits. I'm closer to Richmond, I'm sure others can chime in with more local specifics to the Valley area for IDPA and ranges.

Harrisonburg is a beautiful area. I love visiting up there.
    There is no law stating you can't carry in Police Stations, and you can not have any mag larger than 20rds without a CHP, which for somebody moving to the state would probably apply even if temporary.

any pertinent info for ccw, long guns, shotguns, mag limits etc would also be appreciated.
    OC is legal with or with a permit. No mags limits once you get your CHP, until then it's 20rds. You get your CHP from your local Police Dept, or Sheriff in the rural areas, after they verify your ID they'll fingerprint you and send you to court for them to process it. Pretty Painless. Va is very gun friendly and not much to worry about. No Gun signs here do NOT have force of law, but like most places if you were asked to leave you must or your trespassing. The inside of your car is legally your home, and if you have school kids you can be in the schools parking lots armed. But if you leave the gun has to stay in your car. This is not a castle doctrine state, but our self defense laws are good. No requirements for trigger locks or anything like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links