OC Spray - FOX Labs

OC Spray - FOX Labs

This is a discussion on OC Spray - FOX Labs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As some of you might know I am a huge fan of OC spray, I think it is one of the most useful tools you ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Crescentstar

Thread: OC Spray - FOX Labs

OC Spray - FOX Labs

As some of you might know I am a huge fan of OC spray, I think it is one of the most useful tools you can carry and recommend that anyone who doesn't carry it should at least consider it. It is very capable of stopping both humans and animals without large legal repercussions. I have only bought the stream types so far (MACE and Ruger brands) but lately I have been looking into testing some different kinds.

I keep hearing AMAZING reviews about FOX Labs pepper spray and will be ordering some later today. I would like to hear any reviews or opinions you guys have about FOX labs and/or which type you prefer. (fog, stream, cone, foam). They also have their newer "mean green" sprays, if anyone has experience with these please let me know if they are better or worse than the original sprays.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I carry Fox Labs 5.3 cone. Carried it just a little over a year now. I've never used it though...only review I can give is, it's comfortable to carry.
    Not really, it's akward and hard to find a holster for. But from what I understand, it's about the best.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I carry Fox Labs 5.3 cone. Carried it just a little over a year now. I've never used it though...only review I can give is, it's comfortable to carry.
    Not really, it's akward and hard to find a holster for. But from what I understand, it's about the best.
    Yeah a holster/belt clip is quite necessary haha. I know the ones that Fox sells are WAY overpriced, about $50 for just a holster, would probably be better to make your own.

is there any fox labs spray without uv dye?

VIP Member
    Regardless of brand, one consideration is carrying it in a way that is readily accessible and in a manner that allows for
    easy deployment and use.

FWIW, I've played with this some in the gym just to try and see how quickly I could get it out of a pocket, or off a belt,
    while being pressed by someone-- a T drill if you like but with pepper instead of a pretend gun.

It isn't as easy as it might seem if you are surprised and hurried.

I have a can of Mean Green, and two things I have found are that I must keep it business end down for my thumb to
    be on the activator as I pull it from a pocket. I've also found it helpful to put some tape on one side to help me get an orientation of the canister as I'm pulling it from my pocket.

I've got some other stuff made to hook to a belt, but it would never pull free from a belt for deployment in a second or two.

Whatever someone decides to get, you have to practice the draw just like you would a gun, and you have to think carefully about how you will carry it on the street.

I've seen a lot of posts here about brand, type (gel, spray, stream), but little about ease of deployment. Keep that in mind
    and plan on some experimentation and practice.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Regardless of brand, one consideration is carrying it in a way that is readily accessible and in a manner that allows for
    easy deployment and use.

FWIW, I've played with this some in the gym just to try and see how quickly I could get it out of a pocket, or off a belt,
    while being pressed by someone-- a T drill if you like but with pepper instead of a pretend gun.

It isn't as easy as it might seem if you are surprised and hurried.

I have a can of Mean Green, and two things I have found are that I must keep it business end down for my thumb to
    be on the activator as I pull it from a pocket. I've also found it helpful to put some tape on one side to help me get an orientation of the canister as I'm pulling it from my pocket.

I've got some other stuff made to hook to a belt, but it would never pull free from a belt for deployment in a second or two.

Whatever someone decides to get, you have to practice the draw just like you would a gun, and you have to think carefully about how you will carry it on the street.

I've seen a lot of posts here about brand, type (gel, spray, stream), but little about ease of deployment. Keep that in mind
    and plan on some experimentation and practice.
    Yeah I've carried sprays for over 2 years now, I have had tons of practice.

Always buy an 'extra' can of whatever OC spray you DO buy.
    Spray it on a windy day to experiment with...is it a stream, fog, or a spray...what does that mean? Experiment!
    How far will it reach? Experiment!
    Spray in the wind and you will get some back in your face...can you handle it? Experiment!

It would be tragic to know 'very little' about an OC weapon you want to use in a 'real' situation....OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Fox Labs Pepper Spray - Mark 8 Personal Pocket Unit (FX-11C)
    ^^^^^
    This link will work with Mozzilla firefox

This is what I carry.
    I ordered 11 and got the free shipping, and gave one to my sister,nephew, mom, kids and wife.

Fox Labs Pepper Spray - Mark 8 Personal Pocket Unit (FX-11C)
    ^^^^^^

This link will work with explorer

FIVE MILLION Scoville is (pardon the pun) nothing to sneeze at, compared to the avg. 2 mill. from other companies.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    As a former instructor, I have been sprayed with numerous brands of OC. Fox outdoes them all. The cone spray pattern is the most effective, but you have a greater chance of getting a dose yourself, especially in windy conditions. The foam is also pretty good, and better for indoor use as it is less likely to contaminate an entire room.

It has been alleged that the bad guy can fling the foam back at you, but honestly, I have never seen anyone capable of it. Also, if you do as you should (spray and bug out to call for help) you won't be around to have it used against you.

The other great thing about Fox is that it is potent and fast acting, but decontaminates quicker. That might not matter if the BG gets a good snort of it, but when YOU get exposed, it matters a lot!
    ironmike86 and Timeismoney like this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Always buy an 'extra' can of whatever OC spray you DO buy.
    Spray it on a windy day to experiment with...is it a stream, fog, or a spray...what does that mean? Experiment!
    How far will it reach? Experiment!
    Spray in the wind and you will get some back in your face...can you handle it? Experiment!

It would be tragic to know 'very little' about an OC weapon you want to use in a 'real' situation....OMO
    Agreed. I have always test-sprayed every one I've had.

I need one without UV dye. For some reason my state does not allow it... and after more research I'm not sure FOX labs makes one... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Timeismoney View Post
    I need one without UV dye. For some reason my state does not allow it... and after more research I'm not sure FOX labs makes one... :/
    Here's their list. My personal pocket canister does not have dye. My larger flip top did not either IIRC. Unfortunately I lost it on a fishing trip. I had the misfortune of having one go off in my pocket. I don't recommend clipping it to your front pocket and squatting down to do anything. I did not use the wipes to kill the spray and it burned for a long time and the smell was nauseating. That's great at the right time, this was not the right time. Heck, it burned when I took a shower the next morning.

Fox Labs International
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I have had good experience with the gels, particularly the Kimber unit. Gels have a higher density/weight and are less likely to aerosolize, thus reducing risk of blowback. They also are inherantly "sticky" and much more difficult for the assailant to shed once applied. The Kimber unit is pricey, but if you really need it, the last this you'll complain about is the $35 price. Desantis makes a nice leather pocket holster for the unit as well.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timeismoney View Post
    is there any fox labs spray without uv dye?
    No. I got sprayed with it for the academy. I was burning until the next day. This stuff is hot!
    One more step and it's on!

Links