Motor Vehicle Carry in In

This is a discussion on Motor Vehicle Carry in In within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In checking USA Carry, I saw this: You may only carry a handgun in a vehicle with a Indiana handgun permit. Does this mean that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Motor Vehicle Carry in In

In checking USA Carry, I saw this:
    You may only carry a handgun in a vehicle with a Indiana handgun permit.

Does this mean that a holder of a CCW from NC may not carry in a motor vehicle in IN?

VIP Member
    Since Indiana honors all other states permits your NC permit would be treated the same as an Indiana permit as long as you adhere to the laws of Indiana.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf
    RayBar likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thank you.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    Thank you.
    Glad to help.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm pretty sure what you are reading means that an IN License to carry a handgun is not good in NC and can only carry in a car. Probably not on ones person.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Gotta know the law. You gotta know the laws for each state if you are going to travel around with your handgun. Ignorance of the law is not good enough. At least some of these forums have detailed state by state laws and you had better check them for each and every state you go to or go thru.

I have a NC carry permit.

My question related to how I can carry in IN with my NC permit.

VIP Member

As if you had an IN permit - for concealed carry. For OC, it all depends on what is stated on your NC license. For instance, my OH permit is a CHL. It does not address OC as OC is simply legal in Ohio. I can CC in IN, but not OC because my license is silent to OC. It's a weird part of the IN law, but if you understand it, it is no big deal.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Vehicle carry by non-permitties: handguns must be unloaded,cased and stowed in the trunk or rear storage area; Recognized permittees may carry their loaded handguns in most public areas of Indiana. Some notable exceptions would be riverboats and the state fair. Both areas are off limits to any licensee unless he leaves his firearm locked in his car. Indiana has recently ammended its preemption law to make local regulation of licensed handgun carry virtually non-existent except for prohibitions on carry in courthouse. Non-residents with out of State permits are granted automatic recognition while in Indiana. This is from the travelers guide to the firearm laws of the fifty States 2012. Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    Some notable exceptions would be riverboats and the state fair.
    That's interesting. I've never heard anything or read anything about not being able to carry at the state fair. The new Indiana State Law regarding places prohibited to carry that became effective in July of last year just includes any building with a courtroom, schools, and hospitals with a psych ward. I'd be interested in learning more about the state fair issue.

If Indiana recognizes your NC carry permit, then while you are in Indiana, you are extended the same rights/responsibilities as an Indiana resident with an Indiana concealed carry permit. Many of the provisions of the laws regarding concealed carry in many states are similar, but there are differences. There are resources on the internet that summarize those rights/obligations.....by state.

OK, to be more specific...

Some states specify exactly how a weapon is to be carried in a vehicle.

Some require that it be concealed on the permitee at all times.

Some like VA and NC don't care how you carry it; on your person, on the seat, on the dash.....

I saw no reference to manner of carry in the IN law other than what pertains to unlicensed carriers.

Someone on this site recomended "Legal Heat" to download for your android smartphone. It's nice to have as a reference and it updates when needed.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    If Indiana recognizes your NC carry permit, then while you are in Indiana, you are extended the same rights/responsibilities as an Indiana resident with an Indiana concealed carry permit. Many of the provisions of the laws regarding concealed carry in many states are similar, but there are differences. There are resources on the internet that summarize those rights/obligations.....by state.
    This is incorrect, first of all, we have a LTCH, which means we can carry anyway we want CC or OC, second, you may only carry in IN with all the restrictions pertaining to your permit/license. So, if you are from TX, you cannot OC in IN. If your state resticts you carrying in a bar or a place that serves alcohol, you may not in IN and so on.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by tpcarc View Post
    That's interesting. I've never heard anything or read anything about not being able to carry at the state fair. The new Indiana State Law regarding places prohibited to carry that became effective in July of last year just includes any building with a courtroom, schools, and hospitals with a psych ward. I'd be interested in learning more about the state fair issue.
    Sorry, no carry at the State fairgrounds during the State fair. It is State law, which still applies. The new law does not amend this.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links