The Official Female Carry Reference Thread

This is a discussion on The Official Female Carry Reference Thread within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cindy Wow. This is a great thread. MrsHB, love the new grips. I'm new to CC and am struggling with an on ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: The Official Female Carry Reference Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Wow. This is a great thread. MrsHB, love the new grips.

I'm new to CC and am struggling with an on my body carrying option. I have a LCR .38 and want to use this as my carry gun. I don't wear belts (no, never) so belt holsters are out. I don't wear overly baggy clothes or two shirts (cami with an overshirt). I've tried OWB and that sticks out like a sore thumb on my body type. I'm 5'4" not rail thin but I'm not large either. I think IWB might be good for me but carrying on the side or in front was not comfortable. I think I would like to carry in the back waistband but the holster's I've tried were slanted the wrong way (I draw right handed) or maybe there is something I'm missing about how to carry along the back. The compression shorts intrigue me and I'm wondering if anyone has tried them, especially with a revolver. Also, I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Marylin bra holster with the LCR and what you thought. Any assistance will be appreciated.
    Thanks Cindy!

In addition to the Sig, I also carry a S&W 640, which is an all-steel .357 j-frame snubbie revolver. When my clothing won't permit OWB, I usually carry it in a Remora holster, as shown in the pictures below. I can get away with a shaped (but not tight) shirt with this method. I find it very easy to draw from the position shown, just behind the hip on my strong side. When drawing, I yank up my shirt then drive my right thumb between my back and the grip, so the grip is in the "V" between my thumb and index finger. As I grip and draw, the muzzle is kept pointed downward and slightly away from my body as I bring the gun around my hip and into the forward position. Here's a link that explains drawing from the waist: Safety Matters: How to Use a Belt Holster | Cornered Cat
    SW640__Remora.jpgSW640__Remoraside.jpg

The Remora is nice because you can move it around to find just the right spot and angle on your waist. It's also quite comfortable, and fairly inexpensive. I believe it's demonstrated in the Falia Photography youtube video that's already been mentioned in this thread.

I haven't tried the compression shorts. It's so warm and humid here that I don't care to add layers of clothes unnecessarily. I also haven't tried any of the bra holsters, and don't intend to. Range practice with a bra holster could be problematic due to the fact that drawing right-handed would involve sweeping everyone to the left of you at the range; not to mention the need to pull up your shirt, especially for reholstering. Moreover, I don't think I'm well-endowed enough to conceal much in the chest area!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll find something that will work for you.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I haven't tried the compression short but have talked to 2 women who were very happy with them. A pair is on my list - one of these days.

When I had a smaller edc I uses the flashbang and was very happy with it. As an added plus it definitely had a push up effect which I loved since I'm not well endowed. It's not for everyone and did take a bit of messing around to get it to fit just right.

I'm happy carrying behind my right hip - I never used to wear a belt but I do now. I did try a belly band I borrowed from my neighbor yesterday since I've been having some back pain but my gun doesn't seem to fit in it - I'll check it out more when I have time but I don't think it's going to work.

I do have the compression shorts and I'm very happy with them. Super concealment, and still great access. I like wearing my gun belt with them anyway, feels tighter (since the elastic holster does have some flex) but it's not necessary, or you could wear a smaller, more feminine belt instead of a gun belt. (In case you were wondering, I wear a thong under them for cleanliness since I don't have a pair of shorts for every day of the week.)
    I'm quite small, 5'0" and 100lbs, no curves to speak of. I also wear a Crossbreed Snapslide (OWB) or Supertuck (IWB) but for tucked in shirt and NPE applications I prefer the compression shorts.
    I carry a Springfield XD 9mm Subcompact.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Women in cowboy mounted shooting

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    Not a girlie girl, so not much to show in regard to pretties... but I am looking forward to receiving my new box elder burl grips from High Figure Grips, for my otherwise 'basic black' P238. They look like these, but with a bit more of a bluish tinge:
    Attachment 63768

I'm a cowgirl at heart, and I *loff* my Smitty 640, so I've often ogled this one:
    Attachment 63769

But alas, the wood grip just isn't as practical for SD as my CT laser grip.

Lara, I really like the floral tooled OWB holster -- it would match my saddle! Unfortunately, we don't have open carry in my state.
    Wow, nice! I barely think about 'looks' with my carry gun, the usual black plastic 9mm but if you want to play cowgirl, try mounted shooting!

Not only do I get to use handsome Colt replica SA .45s, the leather work is GORGEOUS! Holsters, belts, bridles, breast collars, chinks..sometimes matching....bling, custom work, skins, tooling.

And women are at the very top of the competition, along with the men. Check out Kenda Lenseigne sometime on Youtube or the Internet. She and others like Annie Bianco are making appearances on alot of other gun-related TV shows as well, promoting women in shooting.

Just as a quick plug....you can get started in cowboy mounted shooting with just about any horse....we have clinics and get every horse used to it, no failures yet. (Altho I'm sure some dont take to it as well). There are beginner levels that are still very fun and you can be competetive from the start. There are men's and women's divisions but for champions, it's based on overall time, period.

It's a great family environment too, with wrangler divisions for under 13. If anyone is in WA st and would like more info, feel free to contact me thru the forum, I'd be happy to let you know about practices or competitions.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    I don't think I know of any women who can carry in front of their hip or front pocket.
    You met one now. I carry my Ruger LCP (it is raspberry pink and black) in the front pocket of my "Nana" jeans, in a pocket holester, without a problem. This is my shopping carry. When not there I carry a weapon (Ruger SP 101, it is not prettied up.......yet. ) friendly purse from here: Coronado Leather | Handcrafted Firearm Concealment Leatherwear Handbags/ Luggage/ Jackets/ Law Enforecement These jeans are loose (because of leg problems...not fashion) and have nice deep pockets. I believe these were "Painter's jeans" from Woman Within.

I have learned over the years to never say "never". You just never know.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    if you want to play cowgirl, try mounted shooting!

Just as a quick plug....you can get started in cowboy mounted shooting with just about any horse....we have clinics and get every horse used to it, no failures yet. (Altho I'm sure some dont take to it as well). There are beginner levels that are still very fun and you can be competetive from the start. There are men's and women's divisions but for champions, it's based on overall time, period.
    I wish I'd known about it 10 years ago, as my husband's bombproof former speed event horse would've probably been great at it. Now he's old and toothless and we have nothing to ride until he and our other retiree pass on. Until then, I'm holding onto the saddles, trailer, and tack... and will admit to ogling to the gear at Mernickle's, too... MERNICKLE HOLSTERS Mounted shooting looks like a lot of fun.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

I am a complete newbie at carrying, but I bought a flashbang for my Glock 26. For me it seemed ideal because I usually wear jeans and t-shirts and didn't want to flash my weapon at the store if I bent over to get something from the bottom shelf! I have plenty of concealment in that area too. What I just did as an experiment was to customize a bra for my flashbang. I bought two bras for $6 each at walmart, same band size, one C and one D. I butchered the D by cutting off the shoulder straps and the back of the bra. I stitched the D cups over the C cups, leaving room at the bottom band (elastic not underwire) to fit the holster into. It is MUCH more comfortable, stays put when I draw, has plenty of support and keeps my weapon concealed. I am pretty happy with this choice, although I also have another holster from the Pinup collection (the AVA, IWB style) on the way!!!

I am really happy to have found this site and especially to find some like minded women. I have plenty of friends who have guns, but I think most of them are left at home or sit in the bottom of their purse.

How I made a belly band for $5.99 and slim my waist ! plus compressions shorts

I have been learning alot from this site and also trying to figure out what is most comfortable for me to wear my CC. I tried belly bag... purse, and decided I didn't like either one. Didn't want to spend the money (as I am wanting a revolver now!) So I came up with the idea of making my own belly band and compression shorts. Went to TJ Max last night and hit the jack pot with the body slimming shorts, and then my hubby came and showed me the Waist slimmer belt he happened to see ($5.99)... now how can you beat that, slimming the waist while serving the better purpose of carrying your fav gun! Here are some pix... the Belt was cut into a 4" strip, it has a side with is slightly sticky neoprene type material. I then used the cut off part to make the holster.
    For the shorts I bought a 1/3 yard of swimsuit material for $6.00. I used about 1/3 of it for the holster we sewed on the shorts. Shorts were $5.50 (called high waist body slimming, not a girdle, so they are relatively easy to get on and off.) So the belly belt cost me $5.99 to make and the compression shorts cost me about $7.50 to make. I have been wearing the belly band and so far I love it... My hubby did the sewing, I just came up with the ideas! 001 (1024x768).jpg008 (1024x768).jpg011 (1024x768).jpg012 (1024x768).jpg
    Attached Images
    Biskers and Firearm.Fan.Girl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    I don't think I know of any women who can carry in front of their hip or front pocket. Guys pockets are so deep that when they sit, the gun is actually resting on their thigh... when your pocket's only 3 inches deep, you get a gun in your belly! Extremely uncomfortable.
    Precisely why I wear men's Wrangler jeans. They have real front pockets not the shorty pockets manufacturers give women's jeans. I tried several brands and Wrangler fit me the best. I can easily carry my .38 SP in the front pocket and not even the grip shows. With my .38 SW, hammerless w/ laser sight, I have so much front pocket room, in a pinch I wouldn't even have to pull it out to bring to shooting position right in the pocket.

I've been looking at the Marilyn too; I'm looking for user reviews but may go ahead and just buy one. I have a Remora for my G26 but would like to try upper body carry. Maybe the Kangaroo Carry as the Undertech shirts seem like they might be too hot here in Florida.

Carrying on my person has become more important recently, I volunteer for transporting rescue dogs and lately have been driving a lot of pit bulls. A couple of days ago one of the transport boards I'm on said there've been thefts at gunpoint of PBs. Need to do some rethinking of how things are done, I'm not going to make it easy to take a dog in my care.
    9MMare, Sunny and UVAgirl04 like this.

Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    9MMare yes I did. There was an article that addressed cc in dresses. I think they recommended the undershirt with a holster pocket but it's wicked hot here & I don't trust a fabric pocket to securely hold my firearm securely. Thanks though.

I did find a demonstration video on YouTube for the Marilyn that looked promising. I'm just hoping to find someone who owns this holster for their perspective.
    I wear shorts under a dress with my regular belt and IWB holster lol. I've looked at compression shorts and got good feedback on someone here on it, but haven't shelled out the money for a pair yet.

I would think as long as the undershirt isn't too thick it wouldn't be too bad in the heat. I always wear a thin tank under whatever I'm wearing to keep the holster off my skin and even in the dead of summer here I don't find it uncomfortable...

I recently purchased a smart carry holster and actually like it. It is very concealable and I actually don't feel like it's on me. It does print slightly with some jeans but if you wear your shirts outside, you can't see a thing-besides hopefully , most people won't be looking at your crotch. It does take dome practice to get the draw down. there are a number of u-tube videos on it. SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters
    tundra likes this.

Needing some advice. My husband and I are starting a page on Facebook and a YouTube Channel. We've got some ideas on what video's to do but I wondering from other women what would you like to see another woman or a couple talk about or demonstrate on on a gun channel?

Here's the link's for Facebook & YouTube

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CitizensInArms?ref=hl

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/CitizensInArms?feature=mhee

So far are ideas for videos are

Intro video
    Survival
    Target shooting
    Knifes
    Our guns and our gun history
    Awareness videos
    Camping
    Make your own targets
    CCW
    Winter/summer carry
    EDC
    Range bags
    Home security
    How not to
    Skeet shooting

And I don't carry in a purse, I think it's an awful idea for women.
    Last edited by XD9SC_Becky; February 5th, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
    HAGJewels and Bekkers like this.
    Becky
    XDs .45
    Nano 9mm

I may be a girl, but I can protect myself!

I am new to concealed carry. I have 2 holsters actually. The first one is a leather Blackhawk Sportster holster. I like this because I can wear it inside the waistband of my jeans. I can wear it in the small of my back, in an appendix carry or behind my hip. It really goes anywhere. Its been a great holster. I also have a Flashbang holster. I love the Flashbang. I am a full figured woman and it works great! Its been the best way for me to conceal so far. I am carrying an LCP BTW. I have a friend that is average size and uses the Flashbang with her LC9 and you can't see it at all on her. She really likes it too. I am always looking for new ideas on holsters though. I don't think I have found "the" holster for EDC or CC.

Ash

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links