The Official Female Carry Reference Thread

This is a discussion on The Official Female Carry Reference Thread within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There has been some requests for a female specific subforum. While that is not going to happen for a long list of reasons, the staff ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: The Official Female Carry Reference Thread

Senior Moderator

The Official Female Carry Reference Thread

There has been some requests for a female specific subforum. While that is not going to happen for a long list of reasons, the staff and I have discussed the prudence of a female carry reference thread.

This thread will be a reference place for females to get links and information directly related to female carry specific issues. It will eventually be a closed thread of information only so as not to get cluttered with irrelevant posts but it will also have a prominent place (i.e. sticky) at the top of Concealed Carry Issues and Discussions.

To get this thread off the ground I'm going to need the help of our wonderful membership here.

We are looking for content to put in this thread to launch it.

This content can include:
    • Websites dedicated to female carriers (of course corneredcat will be included)
    • Tasteful photographs of women carrying or female carry rigs
    • Female specific carry blogs
    • Female specific holster makers (the flashbang or FIST holsters come to mind, if a holster can be considered gender neutral in any way please do not post it here)
    • Links to videos for female carriers
    • Links to articles specific to female carry or issues
    • Links to discussions here on DC about female issues such as holster fit, clothes, etc

Remember that all of these links or posts or pictures MUST abide by our family friendly forum rules. No nudity, no obscene language, etc.

Ladies, if you want to add a picture of yourself carrying feel free to do so but there is no obligation. If, however, you would like to add a post about how you carry and what you carry that could also be helpful to future female members. It could be helpful to them, however, if you would add things like height and weight and/or body type (busty, slim, average, larger hips, etc) so that a woman reading the thread might better determine if the information is relevant to her.

After a few days the thread will be closed, organized and then "stickied" but that does not mean that submissions to the thread will be closed. You can PM me at any time and suggest content to add to the thread. If a woman cannot find what she is looking for or would like to discuss anything she finds in the thread she is welcome to start a new thread as usual to keep the reference thread from getting cluttered.

Let's get this reference thread off to a great start by filling it with some great content for women.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks Lima! Hope it works!

I know the user faliaphotography on YouTube was a HUGE help for me getting started with carrying. Specifically the Concealed Carry Options for Women video.

Senior Moderator
    I'll go ahead and get it out of the way..lol:

Websites:
    Cornered Cat

Holsters:
    Flashbang Women?s Holster

Videos:
    Carrying a Gun and a Baby - YouTube

Here's a link to a review of a book on the subject that I purchased for "Mrs 10thmtn" a while back - "Personal Defense For Women," by Gila Hayes (of the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network):

Concealed Carry for Women: Gila Hayes Walks the Walk | Gun Digest - We Know Guns So You Know Guns

"Mrs 10thmtn" carries her Ruger LCP in either a belly band, or in a Kangaroo holster. I know better than to give a detailed description of her "body shape" on the internet ( ), but suffice to say that she is short and petite.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I've only been carrying a couple months but the sites that have been invaluable to me are yours Lima, cornered cat and Packing Pretty | A Tactical Guide for Women to Concealed Carry and Personal Protection

I'm pretty thin, about 5'5/125 lbs- I carry either IWB with a crossbreed mini tuck or with my flashbang. I'd say I was split between the two pretty evenly, although lately with the heat I've stuck more with IWB.

I have the Betty holster also, from the same company as the flashbang but I don't use it at all, when I practiced my draw with it it would come unclipped and I'd draw the gun with the holster still attached.
    TheBoss_512 and navajoRN like this.

I think this is a great idea... For some women who are just getting used to themselves and their guns, it can be very useful information to get information from other women who are already experienced!!! I myself, am still trying to get used to my Sig.. I love it, but I can only carry it on body at 4 o'clock... I have tried diff methods and nothing works.. It is a little diff with the Colt tho...

Has anyone ever tried off body carry???
    "The Lord is on my side; I will not fear"
    " The Lord is my Light and my salvation

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I sent the following to Limatunes the other day, after reading the story/watching the video. It's a very limiting potential solution for some women in specific work environments. Neat idea, not sure how well it works in reality.

----------

I just spotted this story on an apron holster. It might be appropriate for some women who work retail, etc. where an apron wouldn't look out of place.

News story - Roanoke business woman invents Apron Gun Holster and another, new business - wdbj7.com

Website - Apron Gun Holster
    minimalbrat likes this.
    NRA Instructor

I've never tried off body carry, I'm not careful enough with my purse and I worry if someone grabs my purse in a parking lot they've now got my weapon. Galco and others though do make some nice purses with a seperate compartment for the gun.

I figured I'd go ahead and toss up a couple pics of how I carry. Granted I have a small gun so it's been pretty easy, although I would like to get something bigger at some point.

If what I want to wear allows IWB that's how I usually go:
    002.JPG
    003.JPG

If I want to wear an outfit IWB doesn't work well with then the flashbang has opened up a lot more options for me.
    flashbang1.JPG
    flashbang2.JPG
    Pistoldoc and Biskers like this.

Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Is that the flashbang you are using???? If so, does it work well??? I have thought about purchasing one for my Sig, but I have not.
    "The Lord is on my side; I will not fear"
    " The Lord is my Light and my salvation

Yes, the flashbang I was using in the bottom pics. It took a little work (and googling!) to get it to fit right, and I still really only have one bra that it works well with, but I love having that option!

I have a problem carrying on body....except for my Ruger LCP in my jeans pocket. I carry in my purse quite often. My purse has the special compartment for my weapon. I carry my purse over my head and on the side I draw with. When going to the parking lot...I unzip the compartment and have my hand on my gun so if anyone attempts to get my purse....my weapon stays in my hand. Carrying the shoulder bag around my neck and to the side makes it impossible for someone to "snatch and run". By the time they have attempted....my gun is in my hand. Practice, practice, practice. This makes the difference.

BTW...I usually carry my Ruger SP 101 in my purse. Easy to get my hand on.
    surefire7, minimalbrat and 9MMare like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

This is an awesome thread, thank you!

There are some really good videos on You Tube by Whistling Pines Gun Club. Patty demos both the CCW purses and the CCW backpacks, comparing them, as well. Most of their videos are excellent information. They also have really good specials monthly that are available to everyone, not just members. Their website is Whistling Pines Gun Club.

Another great group is The Well Armed Woman. They carry lots of woman specific gear, have lots of informational videos for women, etc. The Well Armed Woman

Hope this helps. I've only had my CCW a few months and am still getting comfortable myself!

If you are leaning towards purse carry, Secure Purse has a good selection.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links