Is it rude to call people out on carrying?

This is a discussion on Is it rude to call people out on carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's been a weird day today. I was taking to a customer earlier and commented that her purse looked like a concealed carry purse cause ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Is it rude to call people out on carrying?

It's been a weird day today. I was taking to a customer earlier and commented that her purse looked like a concealed carry purse cause of a zipper up the side. She was a little stunned at first but then she proceeded to tell me that it was and we talked for a few about her Ruger LCR and my carry guns.

just awhile ago I was taking to another customer who went to pull something out of his pocket and accidentally flashed the top of a Glock In a IWB holster. He looked embarrassed and looked like he hoped I didn't see it so I just asked what he carried, talked about his Glock 23 and again talked about my carry guns. (I can't/don't carry at work btw so I wasn't advertising that I was carrying or anything. Just making conversation.)

My question is: Was this rude? Should I have just pretended I didn't know/see and just moved on? (Neither of them seemed mad or annoyed and seemed to like talking guns.)

If you are using the occasion simply to spark conversation I think its OK. Just stay alert to the other persons body language, they may not be comfortable and it would be rude to push it.

But if you are doing it simply to "let them know you know", then yes, that would be rude.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i don't know your job that these people come to you but as a salesman who met with scores of people daily--the Japanese have a saying about nudity along the lines of 'it is seen but not looked at'

if someone is exposed i will get their attention, make a motion or if close enough ask if they mean to be putting on a show, or something similarly silly. as a rule i do not call out people. though if its in a quiet area and they seem positive about speaking, sure i'll talk

but concealed applies to both of us; and perhaps i do not want him to know that i have one too.
    marcclarke and hogdoc357 like this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I wouldn't like it, unless it would be odious to anyone and I still wouldn't like it. There is a difference between letting a friend know about it and a complete stranger. People carry concealed for a reason. Most people probably wouldn't have noticed. You did because you do. Doesn't seem like a good habit to get into. IMO
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    If they wanted me to chat them up about it, they would OC.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    If you are using the occasion simply to spark conversation I think its OK. Just stay alert to the other persons body language, they may not be comfortable and it would be rude to push it.

But if you are doing it simply to "let them know you know", then yes, that would be rude.
    I agree with this.

Reverse the situation and answer your own question. Why would you ask in the 1st place. If you walk up to me and you have a fanny pack on and my first question is do you have a gun in there how would you feel?

I wouldn't say anything about it, cuz I don't care if they are carrying or not...
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Definitely it is boorish behavior. Unless their gun is exposed outrageously when they were obviously trying to conceal I would say nothing to them. It's none of my business. I'm not wearing a gun to meet new friends. God forbid there would be anyone to overhear such a conversation. I don't want to be outed and I'm pretty sure nobody else does either; that's why they are going concealed.
    Spirit51 and MadMac like this.

Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    I only said something to spark conversation and both times it was almost a whisper. I would never loudly announce anyones business or say something if others are around.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Reverse the situation and answer your own question. Why would you ask in the 1st place. If you walk up to me and you have a fanny pack on and my first question is do you have a gun in there how would you feel?
    I would never carry a Fanny pack, but hypothetically I would just say no. I felt bad about saying something to the lady but she was very cool about it and described the type of built in holster. She was proud of it and said others have said something because of the side zipper too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I wouldn't say anything about it, cuz I don't care if they are carrying or not...
    I have no problem with anyone carrying. The first time was just an accident cause I had just leaned about concealed carry purses and thought it looked like one. I was more shocked than her when she said it was.

The second one accidentally exposed and I didn't make a scene. It was a simple quiet "Hey what type do you carry?" To let him know I wasn't going to flip out and alert store security. I would be very nervous if I exposed and knew they saw it but they did nothing. (I would wait for security to kick me out.)

In reference to purses. Check these out. There are some really nice ones out. I am proud of mine. I went so long just getting regular purses and dedicating a compartment for my weapon. really nice to have one made for the purpose.

Coronado Leather | Handcrafted Firearm Concealment Leatherwear Handbags/ Luggage/ Jackets/ Law Enforecement

Concealed Carry Purses | Concealment Purses, Handbags, Accessories & More
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I wouldn't call it rude, but I would feel uncomfortable talking to a stranger about my concealed weapon. Therefore, I would not initiate a conversation about someone else's concealed weapon. In Kansas, you have he option of having the CCH shown on your drivers license, or having a separate CCH ID card. I opted for the latter specifically so that I could show ID (as in during a credit card transaction) without outing myself.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

PI9
    I think the question really should be..."should these people be told they are not doing a good enough job of concealing." Concealed means concealed IMO. I would never want to put myself in a position where someone knew I had a gun, if someone ever did, I would revamp my carry technique and figure out something that is 100% concealed. Right now I believe that I have that system, but if I ever learn otherwise, it will be changed.
    SL1ckOne likes this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links