Traveling to Chicago...

This is a discussion on Traveling to Chicago... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a word of caution as others have said. Wearing Tigers gear can be dangerous. Just look what happened in L.A. and it happened again ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Traveling to Chicago...

Distinguished Member
    Just a word of caution as others have said. Wearing Tigers gear can be dangerous. Just look what happened in L.A. and it happened again recently as well. I went to an L.A. Raiders game (before they moved back to Oakland) with my brother and we wore Seahawks jerseys. It was not a pretty picture. We were getting physical threats while in the stands and some of them were talking amongst themselves that, should Seattle win, they would beat us up. Well, we tried our best to enjoy the game but with about 2 minutes left, we had to go to the "restroom" which really meant we were booking it for the car. We ran as fast as we could to the car and got out of there. So, just wanted to say - be careful (and probably carry Pepper Spray if that is legal, which I don't know if it is).
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I lived in Wrigleyville around the time of the first night game in the 80's. It was kinda rough them,now it is all developed and frankly kinda yuppie. As long as you are out at normal hours you will be OK. As to wearing Tiger gear, Cub fans are pretty cool, they may give you some fun hearted crap but nothing really tough. I am a life long Cub fan (I know, mental isues) but you should have no problems.

One serious word of advice (and any Chicago native will confirm) do not, I repeat not, ask for ketchup on your hot dog. There are some crimes against humanity that are unforgiven in Chicago. This is no joke. You probably will not be served and you might get an earful from the vendor.

Some of my best memories are at The Friendly Confines. Relax and have a good time. You might encounter some loud drunks, but generally well behaved. Take a cab, you will be OK.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I lived in Wrigleyville around the time of the first night game in the 80's. It was kinda rough them,now it is all developed and frankly kinda yuppie. As long as you are out at normal hours you will be OK. As to wearing Tiger gear, Cub fans are pretty cool, they may give you some fun hearted crap but nothing really tough. I am a life long Cub fan (I know, mental isues) but you should have no problems.

One serious word of advice (and any Chicago native will confirm) do not, I repeat not, ask for ketchup on your hot dog. There are some crimes against humanity that are unforgiven in Chicago. This is no joke. You probably will not be served and you might get an earful from the vendor.

Some of my best memories are at The Friendly Confines. Relax and have a good time. You might encounter some loud drunks, but generally well behaved. Take a cab, you will be OK.
    Haha on the Ketchup, True. My dad designed and installed the sound system at wrigley. Lmk what you think.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Actually the train is a cheap option and drops you right there. Ask at the Hyatt. I think Irvings hot dogs is walking distance from your hotel.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I think it was legal. Your Michigan permit is considered an FOID Card. LE may not know it but The Illinois Supreme court does.
    1. he said chicago, chicago has it's own gun laws on top of IL laws
    2. from the site you offered, it says that IL does NOT accept permits from ANY other state, it appears that his michigan permit is useless in IL.

please refrain from giving blatantly bad advise and this is a great example of why you cannot depend on sites like this for your legal info.

VIP Member
    If it's a night game, I'd stay home.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    2. from the site you offered, it says that IL does NOT accept permits from ANY other state, it appears that his michigan permit is useless in IL.

please refrain from giving blatantly bad advise and this is a great example of why you cannot depend on sites like this for your legal info.
    The info I offered is correct. I did not offer a site. Handgunlaw US has the Supreme court rulings. I said IL recognizes out of state permits as FOID cards not permits. So you see I did not offer bad advice. Since he's staying in Chicago at a hotel, it would be a bad Idea. I stated the facts. Shall I post the multiple page ruling here?

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Go Tigers!

I agree with those that state not to take a weapon into Illinois and especially Chicago. As far as court rulings go many times law enforcement do not know/care of the ruling and make the arrest. And if you are right it will cost you plenty of time and money to prove it. Not a good option if you are from out of state.

As far as laws in states other than the one you live in it is best to contact the appropriate office in the state(s) you plan on going to with weapons. While sites such as Hand Gun Law provide information keep in mind that the info they post there might not be accurate or out of date. It might be a good place to start however as I stated to be safe rather than sorry contact the state officials. (usually not the police department).

Unfortuntely the internet is loaded with accurate info but it is also loaded with inaccurate or false information. Best to never take one site/blog/article as the whole truth. Research is the best option.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

(430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2)
    Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
    (a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm,

stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
    (2) No person may acquire or possess firearm

ammunition within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
    (b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:

(10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in their resident state;

This is the language taken directly from the Firearm Owners Identification Act (430 ILCS 65/)

430*ILCS*65/**Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.

To legally possess a firearm in Illinois the law states you must have a FOID Card. Non Residents
    cannot obtain a FOID Card from Illinois. The Illinois Supreme Court ruled in Appellee, v.LEONARD
    HOLMES, JR. that: “therefore, a valid permit or license from another state can substitute for the FOID
    card requirement in section 24–1.6.

The SCOTUS is not done with Chicago, I don't think it is wise to possess a gun in a hotel in Chicago due to theft or nosy employees. The legality is still unclear. The law says out of state permit holders can possess guns in hotel rooms and private residences with permission during visits to Illinois. Because Chicago Instituted their permit in response to the Supreme Court Decision in 2010.

While I agree we can't rely solely on sites like Handgun Law US, it is a good resource; the links on their site referred me to the Illinois Supreme Court Rulings. The site referred to by another member (ISP) also has the Firearm Owners Identification Act of 1968 which is where I quoted above.

I have not offered blatantly bad advice, Illinois does not accept permits from ANY other state as CCLs. It does however, recognize them as a valid FOID card.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    I agree with those that state not to take a weapon into Illinois and especially Chicago. As far as court rulings go many times law enforcement do not know/care of the ruling and make the arrest. And if you are right it will cost you plenty of time and money to prove it. Not a good option if you are from out of state.

As far as laws in states other than the one you live in it is best to contact the appropriate office in the state(s) you plan on going to with weapons. While sites such as Hand Gun Law provide information keep in mind that the info they post there might not be accurate or out of date. It might be a good place to start however as I stated to be safe rather than sorry contact the state officials. (usually not the police department).

Unfortuntely the internet is loaded with accurate info but it is also loaded with inaccurate or false information. Best to never take one site/blog/article as the whole truth. Research is the best option.
    I agree with you. However, in this case, it is the rule of law. LE in every state is largely unaware of existing gun laws and court rulings. That doesn't mean we should not exercise our rights. My decision to bring a firearm to Illinois legally is my decision, my risk. When I get to my destination the firearm is secured legally in a residence or transported in accordance with Illinois law. I only offer reference to Illinois Law, not opinion. Anyone can choose not to exercise the rights as they see fit.

Thanks for your non confrontational response, I do appreciate your wisdom.

It really sucks to call someone out on an open forum and find out you're wrong. If that happened to me I would man up. But that's just me.

Great idea!
    IL does not recognize a concealed carry permit as a permit to carry a concealed weapon. However there is a difference between CARRYING a gun and being in possession of a gun.

If only IL residents were the only ones that could be in possession of a handgun, do you really think the USPSA National would be held in Barry, IL?

If a IL resident and a MI resident went to a IL Walmart to buy ammo, the IL resident would have to show a IL FOID card. However there is no way for a non-resident to have a IL FOID card, but they could use the MI permit to but the ammo.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Wrigleyville is super safe i live on Fremont just like a Chicago block from the field. No problems just ignore the drunk cub fan losers. I display my cardinals banner off my balcony. Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links