Traveling to Chicago...

This is a discussion on Traveling to Chicago... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zenger Wrigleyville is super safe i live on Fremont just like a Chicago block from the field. No problems just ignore the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Traveling to Chicago...

Quote Originally Posted by zenger View Post
    Wrigleyville is super safe i live on Fremont just like a Chicago block from the field. No problems just ignore the drunk cub fan losers. I display my cardinals banner off my balcony. Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks.....good to know since you live close to the area. I still plan on displaying my Tiger gear and to the previous posters....it is a night game.

2. Remove Ads

Re: Hyatt, Lakeview/Wrigleyville and overall safety. I work a block from the Hyatt on Columbus and Wacker and frequent Wrigleyville a lot via cab and transit (over the last 15 years), so I'd like to think I have an informed opinion.

Both areas are very safe. Lakeview is full blown yuppie now. median household income around ballpark of 90K per year from a resident base that is very young (majority post-college to mid 30s). Pickpocketing is very rare, but keep wallet in front pocket to be safe. Crime rates in the area are extremely low. Not low by yuppie suburban levels, but low be nicer neighborhood in city of Detroit levels--especially when you consider the # of people out and about in the neighborhood. Don't worry about Cubs fans. Some are obnoxious, but generally speaking, they have grown so accustomed to losing violent tendencies aren't there. They're just happy to be at the ballpark drinking a beer.

I would actually encourage you to take the train to the ballpark (redline from State and Lake to Addison stop on the Howard extension). You're probably safer on the train than white knuckling it down Lake Shore Drive with a crazy cabbie (or just as bad, sitting in traffic going 5 mph).

Hyatt is close to the newish Millenium Park (safe walk west half block to Columbus, then South 2 blocks to Randolph @ start of Park near the Gehry band shell). Only thing to worry abt is panhandlers near Wacker out front of the hotel. Three most common scams near Hyatt over last 10-15 years:

-shoe shine guy (lemme show you what you need to put on that to make it look good). does one shoe for free, then you're forced to pay $10 for the other one, otherwise it looks like you're wearing mismatched shoes.
    -my church bus broke down and I have elderly passengers waiting on bus guy. Need $20 for transport.
    -Candy for sports teams kids (no badge, no legit solicitation).

If you want a Dog, Hot Doug's is worth the drive and the wait. Otherwise, Portillo's is close enough in River North. If you try to put ketchup on your dog, you will need DC. Hot Doug's coutesy of Anthony Bourdain here:

Note that the IL rules (see SoleShtr's post above) and the Chicago rules are different. One crucial point in the Chicago law:

"8-20-090 Interstate transportation of firearms.
    It shall not be a violation of this chapter if a person transporting a firearm or ammunition while engaged in interstate travel is in compliance with 18 U.S.C.A. 926A. There shall be a rebuttable presumption that any person within the city for more than 24 hours is not engaged in interstate travel, and is subject to the provisions of this chapter."

Full law at: https://portal.chicagopolice.org/por...r-registry.pdf
    Last edited by Mark IL NM; May 27th, 2012 at 01:31 AM.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark IL NM View Post
    Note that the IL rules (she SoleShtr's post above) and the Chicago rules are different. One crucial point in the Chicago law:

"8-20-090 Interstate transportation of firearms.
    It shall not be a violation of this chapter if a person transporting a firearm or ammunition while engaged in interstate travel is in compliance with 18 U.S.C.A. 926A. There shall be a rebuttable presumption that any person within the city for more than 24 hours is not engaged in interstate travel, and is subject to the provisions of this chapter."

Full law at: https://portal.chicagopolice.org/por...r-registry.pdf
    Thanks for your posting this. I know Chicago law is different. This affirms my argument to some degree. I do bring my firearm with me to Illinois but do not stay in Chicago. However it appears legal to stay in the city overnight during interstate travel. This is similar to New York.

I secure my firearm locked in case per law in my trunk at the Hobart Indiana exit when I fill my tank. I do the reverse upon leaving Illinois.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    It really sucks to call someone out on an open forum and find out you're wrong. If that happened to me I would man up. But that's just me.
    wrong?
    you don't seem to be residing in the real world. in the real world people don't rely on maybe you won't be arrested and prosecuted!
    your response says that there is no case law that supports the OPINIONS you've been given.
    Do you want to carry a gun based on MAYBE it's ok or MAYBE you won't be arrested.
    until it is certain that I will not face ANY type of interaction with law enforcement because I am LEGALLY carrying a weapon I will not carry into such a place.
    You can take your "legally unclear" opinions and shove it!
    until IL and Chicago state that they will accept permits from other states I will not bring a gun there and I would never advice any else to bring a gun there.

Thanks for your posting this. I know Chicago law is different. This affirms my argument to some degree. I do bring my firearm with me to Illinois but do not stay in Chicago. However it appears legal to stay in the city overnight during interstate travel. This is similar to New York.

I secure my firearm locked in case per law in my trunk at the Hobart Indiana exit when I fill my tank. I do the reverse upon leaving Illinois.
    it is not legal to stay in NY or IL while traveling through those states.
    do you know the fopa laws?
    I don't think that you do because the law specifically say that you are legal to pass THROUGH a state, not stop in a state. try doing that in NYC or chicago and most towns in that part of IL and if found out I guarantee you will be arrested for gun possession.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    wrong?
    you don't seem to be residing in the real world. in the real world people don't rely on maybe you won't be arrested and prosecuted!
    your response says that there is no case law that supports the OPINIONS you've been given.
    Do you want to carry a gun based on MAYBE it's ok or MAYBE you won't be arrested.
    until it is certain that I will not face ANY type of interaction with law enforcement because I am LEGALLY carrying a weapon I will not carry into such a place.
    until IL and Chicago state that they will accept permits from other states I will not bring a gun there and I would never advice any else to bring a gun there.
    Supreme Court Rulings are case law. The highest, in fact. The Illinois Firearm Identification Card act is Illinois Law. Please see Post 26. This came from the Illinois State Police web site. Illinois Law does say they accept out of state permits as FOID cards. I don't know how much more clear it can be. As I said before, If you don't want to risk it, fine. But don't tell me I'm breaking the law. I did not say New York was the same, I said similar. It is legal to stay in Illinois overnight while traveling through the state. If you have an out of state permit, you may because it's recognized as an FOID card. Have you read the section I posted from the FOID Act of 1968. It's all right there. Why are you so upset at me exercising my legal rights in Illinois. You are completely ignoring the laws that we posted. I will take laws on the books over your opinion any day.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Supreme Court Rulings are case law. The highest, in fact. The Illinois Firearm Identification Card act is Illinois Law. Please see Post 26. This came from the Illinois State Police web site. Illinois Law does say they accept out of state permits as FOID cards. I don't know how much more clear it can be. As I said before, If you don't want to risk it, fine. But don't tell me I'm breaking the law. I did not say New York was the same, I said similar. It is legal to stay in Illinois overnight while traveling through the state. If you have an out of state permit, you may because it's recognized as an FOID card. Have you read the section I posted from the FOID Act of 1968. It's all right there. Why are you so upset at me exercising my legal rights in Illinois. You are completely ignoring the laws that we posted. I will take laws on the books over your opinion any day.
    I am upset because you advocate an activity that could land you and others in jail.
    the wisest advice is to STAY OUT OF IL. if armed

I am upset because you advocate an activity that could land you and others in jail.
    the wisest advice is to STAY OUT OF IL. if armed
    If your concern for my well being is genuine than I thank you for it. If more people exercised their right in these states and cities, LE would be forced to recognize the law and obey it. Someone posted this here this morning.

MILLER: Drive across America, armed - Washington Times

If your concern for my well being is genuine than I thank you for it. If more people exercised their right in these states and cities, LE would be forced to recognize the law and obey it. Someone posted this here this morning.

MILLER: Drive across America, armed - Washington Times
    the article you offered refers to a proposal for a law, I and most others do not base their actions on possibilities, we base our acts on what the CURRENT LAWS are.
    if you want to play games with the law and suffer the consequences, feel free to do so, but don't offer your very poor advice for others to do so. Most of us have lives that include families that depend on us for their well being and spending even one night in jail just to try to prove a point is not part of what most of us want to do.
    For the most part people who have concealed weapons permits are law abiding folk who just want to be allowed to carry their weapons and have as little interaction with law enforcement as possible. Carrying a weapon into a restricted place or state where the outcome of such an act is not certain is not something most concealed carriers want to do.
    gamble with your own time and life, don't ask others to do the same.

the article you offered refers to a proposal for a law, I and most others do not base their actions on possibilities, we base our acts on what the CURRENT LAWS are.
    if you want to play games with the law and suffer the consequences, feel free to do so, but don't offer your very poor advice for others to do so. Most of us have lives that include families that depend on us for their well being and spending even one night in jail just to try to prove a point is not part of what most of us want to do.
    For the most part people who have concealed weapons permits are law abiding folk who just want to be allowed to carry their weapons and have as little interaction with law enforcement as possible. Carrying a weapon into a restricted place or state where the outcome of such an act is not certain is not something most concealed carriers want to do.
    I'm not CCing in these places or advising others to do so. Can we agree that the laws I have and others have posted are on the books regardless of what you think LE will do. At least give me that. I have no problem with your decision to stay out of these places. I have only stated what the laws are. I have not offered advice, just stated what I do based on Illinois and Chicago LAW. Are you saying these laws are irrelevant?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    wrong?
    Considering your posts in this thread and others, I would take the opinion of my English Mastiff over yours...

He is a very well spoken dog though...
    ericb327 and stevem174 like this.

The article is for a proposed federal law to support laws on the books that LE thumb their nose at. I am through being civil to a guy who is angry at the world (get off my lawn you dang kids)! You are in my opinion wrong about the law. I feel like I'm arguing with my dad (an extreme liberal) I think my dad is the most intelligent dumb person in the world. Your bitterness has left you with a closed mind. I get it, you hate Chicago. I would venture to guess you would not go to any of these places even if they were gun friendly. Do you cruise the forum to pounce on people whom you think don't know what they are talking or back it up.

I just moved back to Kalamazoo after living in Chicago for 4 years. Two of those years I lived in Wrigleyville off Clark. It's one of the safest areas in Chicago to be truthful. If you were going to a Sox game, I might worry for you, but there, nothing. All you're going to have to worry about is some out of town Cubs fan getting so drunk they vomit in front of you.
    There was three reason I moved back from Chicago to Michigan:
    1. The politics. Enough said.
    2. Getting a FOID card is a pin in the a$$ and is counterproductive for us law abiding citizens. Funny how one of the strictest cities in the US for pistol ownership has one of the highest crime rates...
    3. The traffic. Insane without doubt. Hated every moment I drove there.
    Not sure if it was covered, but I did notice that someone mentioned their CCW had reciprocity for Ill in regards to the FOID. It does not, and I repeat DOES NOT. Please don't even carry unloaded even in a locked compartment. It was only the last 6 months I lived there that you could even legally own a pistol that was not manufactured and licensed prior to 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    I just moved back to Kalamazoo after living in Chicago for 4 years. Two of those years I lived in Wrigleyville off Clark. It's one of the safest areas in Chicago to be truthful. If you were going to a Sox game, I might worry for you, but there, nothing. All you're going to have to worry about is some out of town Cubs fan getting so drunk they vomit in front of you.
    There was three reason I moved back from Chicago to Michigan:
    1. The politics. Enough said.
    2. Getting a FOID card is a pin in the a$$ and is counterproductive for us law abiding citizens. Funny how one of the strictest cities in the US for pistol ownership has one of the highest crime rates...
    3. The traffic. Insane without doubt. Hated every moment I drove there.
    Not sure if it was covered, but I did notice that someone mentioned their CCW had reciprocity for Ill in regards to the FOID. It does not, and I repeat DOES NOT. Please don't even carry unloaded even in a locked compartment. It was only the last 6 months I lived there that you could even legally own a pistol that was not manufactured and licensed prior to 1982.

If you have any info that contradicts this, then you would be right. Below is language taken from the FOID Act of 1968 (The Law) and an Illinois Supreme Court Ruling that supports it.

(430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2)
    Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
    (a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm,

stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
    (2) No person may acquire or possess firearm

ammunition within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
    (b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:

(10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in their resident state;

This is the language taken directly from the Firearm Owners Identification Act (430 ILCS 65/)

430*ILCS*65/**Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.

To legally possess a firearm in Illinois the law states you must have a FOID Card. Non Residents
    cannot obtain a FOID Card from Illinois. The Illinois Supreme Court ruled in Appellee, v.LEONARD
    HOLMES, JR. that: “therefore, a valid permit or license from another state can substitute for the FOID
    card requirement in section 24–1.6.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links