Traveling to Chicago...

This is a discussion on Traveling to Chicago... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Page 3, Illinois Gun law: "According the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the following Illinois jurisdictions restrict the possession of firearms: Chicago, Chicago Ridge, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Traveling to Chicago...

Page 3, Illinois Gun law:
    "According the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the following Illinois jurisdictions restrict the possession of firearms: Chicago, Chicago Ridge, East St. Louis, Evanston, Franklin Park, Glen Ellyn, Highland Park, Morton Grove, Niles, Peoria, and Streamwood.
    While this list is believed to be correct, it is not necessarily all-inclusive. There might be other jurisdictions that have adopted firearms ordinances. It is recommended that travelers check with jurisdictions prior to transporting firearms."
    Pretty much sums it up. If he's going to Chicago, a CCW issued from Michigan is not considered allowable.
    Also, according to the Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Ownership, MCRGO: Illinois and a few other states do not recognize Michigan CCW permits. Here is the gif file that shows those states:
    http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/img/mcrgoreciprocity.gif

2. Remove Ads

Also, I was denied the ability to purchase 45 ACP ammo in Joliet with or without a FOID. Even with a CCW they would not allow it.
    Was instructed by a Federal Marshal that I can legally transport an unloaded firearm THROUGH Illinois, but it had to be unloaded and in a case and I was traveling through without intentions to stop for any period of time that was not required for immediate need (gas, bathroom, etc...).

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Page 3, Illinois Gun law:
    "According the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the following Illinois jurisdictions restrict the possession of firearms: Chicago, Chicago Ridge, East St. Louis, Evanston, Franklin Park, Glen Ellyn, Highland Park, Morton Grove, Niles, Peoria, and Streamwood.
    While this list is believed to be correct, it is not necessarily all-inclusive. There might be other jurisdictions that have adopted firearms ordinances. It is recommended that travelers check with jurisdictions prior to transporting firearms."
    Pretty much sums it up. If he's going to Chicago, a CCW issued from Michigan is not considered allowable.
    Also, according to the Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Ownership, MCRGO: Illinois and a few other states do not recognize Michigan CCW permits. Here is the gif file that shows those states:
    http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/img/mcrgoreciprocity.gif
    I think you misunderstand me, I never said it was legal to carry with a Michigan permit in Illinois. Illinois does not recognize it as a permit to carry; under the FOID Act it is recognized as an FOID card. The FOID card allows for possession of firearms (not carry). The cities you listed have local ordinances. Just because the shop in Joliet I'm guessing Mega Sports denied you a purchase does not mean it was illegal. LE and gun shops are largely unaware of the exception for out of state permits being recognized as an FOID card. I don't think the Federal Marshall was correct. I have posted the law! How do you interpret the laws that I have posted?
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

@eric,
    I guess without getting into a debate of semantics (it states possession in the law, not concealed, on person or carry, and the car is not an extension of your house in Cook County for firearms), I'll say this-- better to not even test them. Again, it says possession and I interpret that to mean on your person OR vehicle.
    I'm also coming from having lived there and know how draconian the Cook county boys in blue can be. I was given a ticket for using my iPhone as my MP3 player and was changing the song and got pulled over on 94. Told the officer I wasn't texting just changing the song and he asked if it was an iPhone or an iPod. I tell him iPhone and he tells me too bad, if it had been an iPod he would not have been able to ticket me. Look up the law-- it's pretty ignorant on that one.
    Besides, when you really boil it down, what good does the pistol do you in the trunk of your car locked up in a case when you need it anyway? I travel to Chicago about 6 or so times a year now and always take mine out of the car. I carry a Ka Bar in it's place for the rest stops. If you're going through multiple states and it's going to be long travel, yeah, I get it-- pull over once your outside of Ill and rack a round.
    And, yeah, it was Mega Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    @eric,
    I guess without getting into a debate of semantics (it states possession in the law, not concealed, on person or carry, and the car is not an extension of your house in Cook County for firearms), I'll say this-- better to not even test them. Again, it says possession and I interpret that to mean on your person OR vehicle.
    I'm also coming from having lived there and know how draconian the Cook county boys in blue can be. I was given a ticket for using my iPhone as my MP3 player and was changing the song and got pulled over on 94. Told the officer I wasn't texting just changing the song and he asked if it was an iPhone or an iPod. I tell him iPhone and he tells me too bad, if it had been an iPod he would not have been able to ticket me. Look up the law-- it's pretty ignorant on that one.
    Besides, when you really boil it down, what good does the pistol do you in the trunk of your car locked up in a case when you need it anyway? I travel to Chicago about 6 or so times a year now and always take mine out of the car. I carry a Ka Bar in it's place for the rest stops. If you're going through multiple states and it's going to be long travel, yeah, I get it-- pull over once your outside of Ill and rack a round.
    And, yeah, it was Mega Sports.
    I Bought a Glock Jacket, Winchester 1300 Defender 12 Gauge and and a box of Black Talons days before the Assault Weapons Ban at Mega Sports. I lived in Chicago for 30 Years as well. Under the FOID card act I'm pretty sure possession does not mean carrying. I really want more clarification on Illinois Law. I will make some calls to the ISP and Illinois pro gun organizations.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

I really want more clarification on Illinois Law.

yet you come on here making statements of fact when in reality you have little or no clue as to what you are babbling about

note to everyone: DO NOT STOP IN IL. with your weapons, regardless of what this person espouses, you more than likely would face arrest if found to have a weapon with you while on a stop in IL, regardless of FOPA compliance

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I really want more clarification on Illinois Law.

yet you come on here making statements of fact when in reality you have little or no clue as to what you are babbling about

note to everyone: DO NOT STOP IN IL. with your weapons, regardless of what this person espouses, you more than likely would face arrest if found to have a weapon with you while on a stop in IL, regardless of FOPA compliance
    And the angry guy returns. I have only posted Illinois law and Supreme court rulings on the laws. I have given no advice. The law clearly states Illinois recognizes out of state permits as an FOID card. You say you will be arrested anyway regardless of the law (maybe your right). Most everyone here knows it's risky traveling to Illinois with or without your firearm. I'm wondering how LE can get away with ignoring Illinois law and why citizens don't question it. What do you think the they mean by Recognizing out of state permits as an FOID card. Illinois allows out of state hunters and sell out of state hunting licenses. The FOID ACT addresses this in the exceptions portion of the law I posted. Please post legal support of your Theory or stop accusing me of not knowing what I'm talking about. Educate me rather than berate me. You have not cited one reference! I have, Several!

I just got off the phone with the Illinois State Police Firearms Services Bureau. I am now satisfied that I am within the law while Traveling in Illinois. Travelers can contact the ISP at 217-782-7980 with questions regarding the transportation of firearms in or through IL. It is true some cities have local ordinances that may prohibit firearms.

I would like to thank apvguy for inspiring me to make the call.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    What's the difference between "in" and "through"? Do you call every city in Illinois to find out if they have ordinances?
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

My understanding of through is not my final destination. When I say in means I travel to Illinois as a destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Do you call every city in Illinois to find out if they have ordinances?
    See Municipal Ordinances Relating To Firearms Public Act 92-0238 for local ordinances, with the usual caveats ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links