Traveling to Chicago...

Traveling to Chicago...

This is a discussion on Traveling to Chicago... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I will be travelling to Chicago from Detroit. Unfortunately, we understand that our weapons are staying home and we will never enter ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Traveling to Chicago...

Traveling to Chicago...

My wife and I will be travelling to Chicago from Detroit. Unfortunately, we understand that our weapons are staying home and we will never enter the state of Illinois with guns in the car, unloaded or not. That is not the issue. We will be attending a baseball game at Wrigley Field (the reason for the trip-always wanted to see Wrigley), plus the Cubs are playing the Tigers. Just wondering about the neighborhood around Wrigley...is it safe for the most part? We are both unfamiliar with that area, not sure if it's generally safe to walk around, etc. Plus we will be wearing Tigers gear (questioning because of the Oklahoma City shootings). I would hate to get caught in a bad situation in an unfamiliar place. I don't want to be paranoid, but cautious nonetheless. We want to have fun, but not fearing for our safety. We know Detroit very well, whaere we can go, safe areas, very familiar with the city, but Chicago is new to us. Anyone from Chicago or know that area well that can give some tips?

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I don't think the neighborhood is bad. I would taxi it to the park though, thieves target sporting events. Watch your drinking as it affect your situational awareness. Your Michigan Permit is recognized as an IL FOID card per IL Supreme Court ruling affording you the limited privileges as IL Residents. Just follow federal firearm transportation laws. It's up to you. I have some good restaurant recommendations. PM me if you're interested.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Where are you staying.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

the area is fairly safe, I would make it a point to not linger too long after the game, 30 minutes or so after the game ends the crowds are gone as well as the added police patrols. if you've been going to tiger home games you should know the drill.
    in NY going to a yankee game involves visiting a not so good neighborhood but as long as you come and go with the crowds, do not wander too far from the beaten paths you rarely hear of problems there, one last tip, leaving in the middle of the game sometimes isn;t very safe when at arenas in not such great areas.

VIP Member
    You should be fine just make sure to know where you are going and check the latest construction zones. I have some friends that go to games there and have never had a problem.

Probably wise to only display your colors (opposing team apparel) at the game. Be able to cover it or do a quick change to and from and if you're are going to mill around the area. Win or lose some sports fans or proud locals are just plain whacko these days.
    accessbob likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I was in Chicago on Monday from Michigan. When I got to Illinois I unload the pistol and put it in a locked box with the ammo in a different location. As I understand it this is perfectly legal.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I'll never go to that state, let alone that city, if I'm never forced into it. If only it was farther north... We could annex it to Canada!

Hope everything goes swimmingly for you, though. No one in Chicago is allowed to carry, mind the police, so you should be good to go...
    jbum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    I was in Chicago on Monday from Michigan. When I got to Illinois I unload the pistol and put it in a locked box with the ammo in a different location. As I understand it this is perfectly legal.
    no it wasn't legal. FOPA rules protect those transiting an anti state like IL as long as you are going from a place you are legal to a place where you are legal and you empty and lock up the gun in your trunk. the law is not going to protect you if you are visiting a place like IL. You are lucky that your weapon wasn't discovered, you could have faced arrest and prosecution.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    no it wasn't legal. FOPA rules protect those transiting an anti state like IL as long as you are going from a place you are legal to a place where you are legal and you empty and lock up the gun in your trunk. the law is not going to protect you if you are visiting a place like IL. You are lucky that your weapon wasn't discovered, you could have faced arrest and prosecution.
    I guess I was lucky. That could have been ugly. There were lots of Suburbans in Chicago that day with long guns sticking out the windows. The NATO crowd was in town.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I think it was legal. Your Michigan permit is considered an FOID Card. LE may not know it but The Illinois Supreme court does.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    This is from the Illinois State Police regarding the transporting of firearms:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf
    Lotus222 likes this.

[QUOTE=ericb327;2268869]Where are you staying.[/QUOT

Downtown Hyatt on the river near Mich. Ave. Plan on taking a cab from there to Wrigley and back.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I don't think the neighborhood is bad. I would taxi it to the park though, thieves target sporting events. Watch your drinking as it affect your situational awareness. Your Michigan Permit is recognized as an IL FOID card per IL Supreme Court ruling affording you the limited privileges as IL Residents. Just follow federal firearm transportation laws. It's up to you. I have some good restaurant recommendations. PM me if you're interested.
    Actually, our plan was to taxi it from our hotel (Downtown Hyatt on the river) to Wrigley and back.

Sounds like there's alot of differing opinions on our carry options in Illinois. Unfortunately, I think this time the weapons are going to stay at home. We just don't need any issues should they arise. I'm sure everything will turn out fine even though we will be in an unfamiliar area. Common sense will prevail with us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links