Defensive Carry banner

Spare Mag Negligence

3K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  Yoda 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just a friendly reminder. Hopefully you are already on top of it, but I regularly wipe down my EDC as anyone who carries knows just carrying gets all kinds of dust and whatever on the weapon. But I have NOT been doing the same with my spare mag. Just pulled it out and Whoa!!!!:embarassed: (see pic), would hate to insert that mag in a bad moment and it be the cause of some kind of failure. Anyways just putting it out there. Be safe.

Hand Finger Revolver Wood

See less See more
#5 ·
Some mags seem to naturally attract more crap than others. My Kahr and Kimber mags (and ammo) always looked like the lint trap, my Glocks, not so much.

Reactions: ericb327
#7 ·
Interesting you said that- the metal housing maybe attracts more? But your right and that is my Kahr mag

#6 ·
In my brommeland mag pouch. I always wear an undershirt as well so its never touching bare skin. None the less, it still got nasty. I was shocked. I will definitely pay more attention.

#12 ·
Also, take the mags apart on a regular basis and check for rust on the spring. I had not done that after I had been in a real humid environment and so about 4 days later I went and checked and I had rust on all of my springs. It was a fun pain cleaning it off. I found that it worked best to soak them in Hoppes #9 and then take a steel brush to them. I don't want to have to go through that again, so I don't wait so long after being in a wet environment. I open them up and just lightly wipe with a little gun oil on a rag.

#16 ·
I'll heartily "ditto" this excellent tip.

While you're cleaning the inside of your magazine, check for spring tension. I've had to replace the springs on two of my magazines over the past twenty years due to reduced tension. No big deal and I think the cost was under $20 which included shipping. Cheap insurance is how I look at it.

JD

#17 ·
My trick: I lined a cardboard toilet paper roll -- sans toilet paper, of course -- with gaffer tape, closed one end, flattened it around a magazine and covered the exterior with tape as well. I'm a working newspaper photographer and have worn 5.11 pants long before I started carrying and found the TP tube fits perfectly in one of the mag/utility pockets and stays put when I take the magazine out. Result: lint-free mags. BTW, duct tape won't work as well as gaffer tape.

#18 ·
I carry my off duty mags in a 5.11/blackhawk pouch with velcro covers bent over the back and slipped in a cargo pocket so I don't have that issue, only rarely do I carry the Keltec with a spare mag just thrown in the pocket I check them once a month to make sure they aren't gathering any unwanted objects (lint or rust)

every 6 months at our qualifications, Its my reminder to take my duty, and any used off-duty mags apart and check everything

#20 ·
Good idea, we go every 3, except I take my Glocks. Im going to start doing that as well and bring the Kahr along.

#19 ·
appologies

Just got a warning. Didn't realize that through my post and my attempt to be helpful, that I may have offended some of you when I referred to myself as "not being to bright" in my original post, but in other words and symbols.:rolleyes:

Reactions: USAFFire
#22 ·
Maybe but I don't want to the chance the way Murphy's law work lol

#25 ·
Actually any magazine springs in magazines that are used in defensive carry guns that show any signs of rusting (even if you believe that it's only surface rust) should have those springs replaced with new springs. Just FYI. Because any weakness in the surface structure of a spring is where any given spring will be most likely to fail.

#27 ·
-
I swap my mags out twice a week with their backups on both my pistols. I think I'll make more of an effort to take my canned air to 'em, now that I've seen that!

That sure is a groty top round you got there, leathernuts! :blink:

#29 ·
I keep a couple of spare magazines in the center console of my car. I was concerned about loose miscellaneous debris (over time) potentially causing a problem. So, I put my mags into a zip lock sandwich bag. The only other thing I might do to improve upon that is to place a desiccant pack in there with the mags.

#32 ·
I would bet lots of money that whole magazine would have ran fine. I've taken my pocket carried TCP to the range pretty filthy a few times, - dust, lint, sheet rock dust and whatever else from construction sites haven't affected anything in my trials.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.