Traveling to Utah, Have Tennessee HCP

This is a discussion on Traveling to Utah, Have Tennessee HCP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a valid TN carry permit and, will be visiting Utah in a few months. From what I can gather, there is no fomal ...

Thread: Traveling to Utah, Have Tennessee HCP

Traveling to Utah, Have Tennessee HCP

I have a valid TN carry permit and, will be visiting Utah in a few months. From what I can gather, there is no fomal reciprosity between them but.....
    it appears that each state "recognizes" the other's permit. So...where does this put me?

Have already done a search with limited luck.

Thanks folks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    As far as carrying in UT your good to go. UT recognizes all other states permits. Basically the difference between recognition and reciprocity, is a written agreement.

Are you driving out, or flying? If driving you need to check the states you will be traveling through as well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Your Tennessee Permit is honored in:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

You should review each states laws as to 'off-limits' areas. See the following url... http://www.Handgunlaw.us ...ckick the state/map to download a pdf of that states firearms laws.

Utah is one of best states to carry in. Most LEO are very tolerant of CC folks, and the state honors most permits. Welcome!
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

It puts you at the mercy of the officer that stops you. Some don't like folks carrying guns and can cause alot of incovienience over it. It will probably not go anywhere when it gets to court,but that won't mean it doesn't cost you alot of time and money. Play it safe. There is a legal way to travel through each State with your firearm,check the laws of each one you will travel through,and take the safe road.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Check Utah Law for open carry. I believe you can't have one in the chamber if you OC without a permit.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

At least you can bypass illinoise (sp) on your way to Utah. Travel through that state is done so at great risk.

Vv

Correct on that Utah open carry w/o a permit. NO you cannot carry hot, one in the chamber or under the hammer. You weapon must be two actions away from firing. With permit OK.

There are federal laws concerning interstate travel with firearms. If you abide by them, you at least would have a legal defense if you were hassled while traveling.

But I'm only really speaking to utah law, since that is what I know...

Your permit is honored here. The reciprocity is a formal agreement, but it's not required as utah honors all residential and non-residential permits. There are some oddities, for instance, federal law only exempts permit holders from the gun free school zone laws if a residential permit is issued by the state the institution is in, so though a Utah resident with a CCP can carry on public school property in the state, as a non-resident permit holder, you would not qualify for the exemption.

A non-permit holder may open carry, as long as they are legally authorized to possess the firearm (non-felon, no protective orders, etc). However, the firearm must not have a live round in the path of the firing pin (no round 'in the pipe'), and the firearm must be two mechanical actions from firing (think two trigger pulls on a revolver, or a rack and trigger pull on a semi-auto). In addition, anyone over 18, who is authorized to possess a firearm, may carry a handgun unrestricted in their vehicle, or with the permission of the vehicle owner, in any condition you would like, loaded or concealed. In other words, if you are in your vehicle, you may carry in any condition you would like, even concealed on your person, as long as you stay in the vehicle. Also, if you leave a firearm in your vehicle you must secure it (ie: don't leave it unlocked, windows up, etc). You do not have an obligation to inform a police officer you are armed, unless they ask specifically.

A CCP holder enjoys all privileges of a non-permit holder. In addition they may carry in any condition they choose (loaded and ready to fire if you wish), and may conceal the firearm as well. Concealed means that a reasonable person would not be able to ascertain that you possessed a firearm.

Utah also has uniform firearms laws. This means that state law preempts all local and municipal firearms laws. The only authorized restrictions I am aware of regard the discharge of firearms, which non-county governments are authorized to restrict. Signs on private businesses barring firearms do not bear the weight of law, meaning that you are not committing a crime by ignoring them, though you may be asked to leave, and refusal would be grounds for a trespassing citation. You may not carry in a courthouse, the secure area of a jail, or mental institution (they should be obviously posted). Also churches have the option to bar firearms with the weight of law, if they inform, and update the state as to that intent (currently I believe only the LDS church has maintained the proper reporting to qualify), however this restriction only applies to the actual place used for worship, and would not extend to places like office buildings (though again, they can still ask you to leave and charge with trespassing if you refuse).

To be honest, I could type a lot more about the specifics (gah, I always felt our law was pretty simple, till you start typing it all out), so here's the references to the actual law, you can find everything else in there somewhere, but I will warn you, the terminology is a little odd in places. For instance, the law regarding 'car carry' is worded to say it is illegal, then goes on to exempt handguns under certain conditions (the vehicle is yours or you have permission, you are over 18, etc).

Utah Department of Public Safety

Wife and I will be flying into Salt Lake City. The "loaner" Glock will already be there.
    Many thanks folks.

Links