Gun Signs

This is a discussion on Gun Signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hear a lot of talk about signs posted by businesses stating no guns, etc. Is there something that makes this more popular in one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Gun Signs

Gun Signs

I hear a lot of talk about signs posted by businesses stating no guns, etc. Is there something that makes this more popular in one place than another? I live in Jacksonville, FL and am yet to see any business (other than a couple gun stores) that have a posted policy of no guns...I carry everywhere with no issue. Is this uncommon or am I blind?

Tim

2. Remove Ads

Well, here in FL where signs do not carry the weight of law, business owners must realize that sighs are a waste of money.
    I have never observed one here in the Gainesville area either.
    rolyat63 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You need to check your state law......

In Texas Section 30.06 specifies the exact wording, size of letters and other parameters that must be met before a sign prohibiting firearms is enforceable. Not all states are the same......
    baren likes this.

VIP Member
    It depends on the state your in. Some states like OH signs carry the weight of law, others like FL and VA they don't. As to posting, I think you'll see more of it in large corporate type stores, than you will in small Mom & Pop operations.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have seen only one sign north of Manchester NH. I guess the closer to MA you get the more you might see.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It depends on the state your in. Some states like OH signs carry the weight of law, others like FL and VA they don't. As to posting, I think you'll see more of it in large corporate type stores, than you will in small Mom & Pop operations.
    A great reason to support your local mom and pop stores.

I noticed a sign on the door of a Dairy Queen today. I'll never be a customer there until the sign comes down. Looks like TCBY and the neighborhood ice cream joint will be getting my sweet tooth's money.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I'm sure you all have heard this thousands of times: Concealed means consealed. If they spot you and ask you to leave, then leave.

The signs mean they do not want to know or to see the guns. They who are unknowing are also the most happy. (Please apply this last sentence however you wish).

Safe shooting,
    Vv

Quote Originally Posted by PI9 View Post
    I hear a lot of talk about signs posted by businesses stating no guns, etc. Is there something that makes this more popular in one place than another? I live in Jacksonville, FL and am yet to see any business (other than a couple gun stores) that have a posted policy of no guns...I carry everywhere with no issue. Is this uncommon or am I blind?

Tim
    look harder, in JAX I've seen a few signs, in FLA those signs mean little except that the property owner doesn't want guns on his property.
    if you carry onto such a property and are found out and asked to leave, you need to leave or face being arrested for armed trespassing which is a felony charge.

isn't obumo abolishing "don't ask, don't tell"? Oh yeah..never mind that's another topic.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

This it the sign businesses should be mandated to post........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Crowman:

Where did you get that photo. That could be useful.

it's a mindset of the ignorant, some feel they are safer no having guns and other think by banning them they can't get sued if something happens

Unfortunately, as archer51 said, signs DO have the force of law in Ohio. You have to know the law of the state you happen to be in and in those you plan to travel to. There is quite a bit of variation out there! And businesses change their minds. For example, a local PetSmart was not posted for years, then when a ToysRUs that is next door to them put up a sign, they did too. I quit going to the PetSmart, wrote to the corporate offices a couple of times, and a few months later I noticed they no longer were posted. Don't know how much my writing to them influenced their decision, but let's face it--enough "customers" writing to a business can have an impact. And a lot of dog owners are hunters/gun owners and vice versa. I imagine they heard from a lot of people and therefore changed their policy.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by PI9 View Post

Tim
    Each state's laws could be different, so know the laws of your own state. In GA, the "signs" do not mean a thing. If the place is not a place the law says I cannot carry, then I can ignore the signs. If a representative of that place sees my weapon, they can ask me to leave. If I refuse to leave, then the police can arrest me for trespassing, but I will not have violated any gun laws. This is another reason I do not open carry.

Distinguished Member
    In Oregon, if you are caught carrying while in a business which has a posted "no firearms" sign, you are summarily executed on the spot.

Oh, wait a minute, check that - here is just means you are trespassing if they ask you to leave and you don't. Sorry, I forgot my meds this morning. Either that, or I'm not so think as you drunk I am...lol.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links