Defensive Carry banner

Gun Signs

4K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  smolck 
#1 ·
I hear a lot of talk about signs posted by businesses stating no guns, etc. Is there something that makes this more popular in one place than another? I live in Jacksonville, FL and am yet to see any business (other than a couple gun stores) that have a posted policy of no guns...I carry everywhere with no issue. Is this uncommon or am I blind?

Tim

#2 ·
Well, here in FL where signs do not carry the weight of law, business owners must realize that sighs are a waste of money.
I have never observed one here in the Gainesville area either.

Reactions: rolyat63
#4 ·
It depends on the state your in. Some states like OH signs carry the weight of law, others like FL and VA they don't. As to posting, I think you'll see more of it in large corporate type stores, than you will in small Mom & Pop operations.

Reactions: rammerjammer
#6 ·
A great reason to support your local mom and pop stores.

I noticed a sign on the door of a Dairy Queen today. I'll never be a customer there until the sign comes down. Looks like TCBY and the neighborhood ice cream joint will be getting my sweet tooth's money.

#20 ·
What store would that be?

IIRC, signage in NH doesn't hold any legal weight, right?

In MA the signs don't convey any legal authority.

I know that Simon Malls (company that owns shopping malls all over the US) posts all their malls (but anchor stores don't post in MA), many of the major theater chains do also. I don't look for the signs and don't pay any attention to them either. They are "corporate policy CYA signs" nothing more or less.

#7 ·
I'm sure you all have heard this thousands of times: Concealed means consealed. If they spot you and ask you to leave, then leave.

The signs mean they do not want to know or to see the guns. They who are unknowing are also the most happy. (Please apply this last sentence however you wish).

Safe shooting,
Vv

#8 ·
look harder, in JAX I've seen a few signs, in FLA those signs mean little except that the property owner doesn't want guns on his property.
if you carry onto such a property and are found out and asked to leave, you need to leave or face being arrested for armed trespassing which is a felony charge.

#10 ·
This it the sign businesses should be mandated to post........
Text Font Banner Photo caption Signage

#13 ·
Unfortunately, as archer51 said, signs DO have the force of law in Ohio.:frown: You have to know the law of the state you happen to be in and in those you plan to travel to. There is quite a bit of variation out there! And businesses change their minds. For example, a local PetSmart was not posted for years, then when a ToysRUs that is next door to them put up a sign, they did too. I quit going to the PetSmart, wrote to the corporate offices a couple of times, and a few months later I noticed they no longer were posted.:smile: Don't know how much my writing to them influenced their decision, but let's face it--enough "customers" writing to a business can have an impact. And a lot of dog owners are hunters/gun owners and vice versa. I imagine they heard from a lot of people and therefore changed their policy.:yup:

#14 ·
Each state's laws could be different, so know the laws of your own state. In GA, the "signs" do not mean a thing. If the place is not a place the law says I cannot carry, then I can ignore the signs. If a representative of that place sees my weapon, they can ask me to leave. If I refuse to leave, then the police can arrest me for trespassing, but I will not have violated any gun laws. This is another reason I do not open carry.

#15 ·
In Oregon, if you are caught carrying while in a business which has a posted "no firearms" sign, you are summarily executed on the spot.

Oh, wait a minute, check that - here is just means you are trespassing if they ask you to leave and you don't. Sorry, I forgot my meds this morning. Either that, or I'm not so think as you drunk I am...lol.

#18 ·
At www.handgunlaw..us on each states page there is a section that tells if No Gun Signs have the force of law or not. I will tell you there are a few states I have ??????? for as I can't find anything out for sure. There are a couple states I have Yes they do have the force of law that may not be 100% correct as I am getting conflicting information on signs in those few states. IF I am getting conflicting info I err on the side of safety until I can get something concrete. The states that have it spelled out are very simple but many states don't have anything in their gun laws and only have something like this in their trespass laws. Trespass laws are usually written about land that is posted and not a business that is open to the public. That makes a huge difference. Trying to get everything ironed out but again in a few states it is very very difficult to know for sure how the law applies.

#21 ·
Whew. I for one feel better as I know if I saw the sign, the criminals did too and so since they cannot bring guns in the store wont be robbed. we all know now well they obey the law.

It really should say free smorgesborg (sp)........

#22 ·
I hear a lot of talk about signs posted by businesses stating no guns, etc. Is there something that makes this more popular in one place than another?
Proximity of the business to sensible, clear-thinking owners of the business. It's a crap shoot as to whether a given one will have such an owner at the helm. A business owner has a lot to think about, to keep the thing running. Insurance premiums/options can drive much, let alone the prevalence of media in the community that is driven by "if it bleeds, it sells" or blind anti-gun mentality.

Whatever the motivations, I'll simply leave if asked and make it clear they're losing my future business because of their position. Win/win, and in time hopefully the average person in the community wises up to the simple reality: it's criminals who threaten the community, not citizens with the ability to resist crime.

#23 ·
Only signs I see are the ones on the local gun shops that say "no loaded firearms inside building". If I have my pistol on me, I still go on in. Worst they can do is ask me to leave. I can take my business to a gun shop that allows carry on their property.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.