My Situation

This is a discussion on My Situation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tommygun I’m new here. I signed up to get your advice on what happened to me the other day. I was in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: My Situation

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    I’m new here. I signed up to get your advice on what happened to me the other day.

I was in a section of the driveway of my home the other day working on my garden. My neighbor is outside on the street staring me down (as usual). I stared back at him for about a minute. He got upset and walked up to my property. This is the third time he’s done this to me. The first time I just ignored him and walked back inside. The second time he started yelling at me and threatened to cause physical harm. As he approached and entered my property’s border I grabbed a metal rod that was close to me and gripped it like I was ready to swing (at this point, I am still in my driveway). He drew a handgun from his waist , cocked and pointed it at my head.

As he was pointing the gun I walked back to my garage and called the police. When police arrived, they verified that he had a concealed weapons permit. Of course, he told them the complete opposite. That I was the one who went over to his side of the house and provoked the attack.

What are your thoughts? I ran a background check online and this person has been on probation for drug related charges. Thank you
    and the reason you didn't report having a gun pulled on you to the police is? if he's on probation he is probably a convicted felon, convicted felons cannot possess guns, he'd be put right back in jail if found with a gun

consider moving, pick a better area next time

2. Remove Ads

The police was ready to arrest him. One officer convinced me into not pressing charges, since there were no witnesses and he was saying the complete opposite.
    BS, no cop would convince you not to press charges like that!

Just be careful! This is a dangerous situation, and he is a dangerous man! Obviously he is not guided by any kind of moral compass. I'd avoid him like the plague, but Id also be armed at all times. I wonder if a visit to the Police just to advise them of the situation would be good? Establish yourself as the good guy, and him as the wacko...

Anyone who would point a weapon at someone else under the circumstances you describe is capable of serious violence. Honestly, if he did that to me and the opportunity to draw and fire was afforded....I would let him have it...

Sorry you are having to deal with this ugly situation

Press charges and get a restraining order. He can say goodbye to his CC permit. Keep the cameras rolling.
    stancehold likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Somebody comes on my property and pulls a gun on me, unless he's wearing a badge somebody is gonna get shot. May be me, dunno, but I'm beyond being intimidated by tough guys and I'm sure not gonna wait until he points it at me and pulls the trigger to find out what his problem is. But I'm a grumpy old man that don't play games with neightborhood tough guys with guns and shouldn't be giving advice.
    mkh likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PI9 View Post
    Doesn't even need one for this situation...can carry on your own property concealed cant you? He points a gun at my head and hes dead that's why we carry guns IMO.

Tim
    You can't in KY. If you want to open carry on your property in KY then have it but you can't CC (without being licensed)- even on your own property. The laws in the state where the OP lives may be different and allow for it but I wouldn't take it for granted.

I’m new here. I signed up to get your advice on what happened to me the other day.

I was in a section of the driveway of my home the other day working on my garden. My neighbor is outside on the street staring me down (as usual). I stared back at him for about a minute. He got upset and walked up to my property. This is the third time he’s done this to me. The first time I just ignored him and walked back inside. The second time he started yelling at me and threatened to cause physical harm. As he approached and entered my property’s border I grabbed a metal rod that was close to me and gripped it like I was ready to swing (at this point, I am still in my driveway). He drew a handgun from his waist , cocked and pointed it at my head.

As he was pointing the gun I walked back to my garage and called the police. When police arrived, they verified that he had a concealed weapons permit. Of course, he told them the complete opposite. That I was the one who went over to his side of the house and provoked the attack.

What are your thoughts? I ran a background check online and this person has been on probation for drug related charges. Thank you
    Personally, I think your post is bogus. If he had any drug related charges, he wouldn't have a CC license. Period. If it happened, and if he had a gun, then I doubt he had one "legally".

And, you never say "why" your neighbor and you would have this animosity going on between you, nor the history of it..... for something of that nature.... there's always a "history" to it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Lights, camera, action...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Personally, I think your post is bogus. If he had any drug related charges, he wouldn't have a CC license. Period. If it happened, and if he had a gun, then I doubt he had one "legally".

And, you never say "why" your neighbor and you would have this animosity going on between you, nor the history of it..... for something of that nature.... there's always a "history" to it.
    I see where you're going.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

OP - You're in a tough spot. If you are already being drawn upon, you're in a very bad situation and already at a huge disadvantage. Please use extreme precaution. You're not going to outdraw a drawn gun. Even if you train for this, its highly unlikely you're going to dive to the ground and jump up blazing away and killing the BG like they do in the movies. Is it possible for you to be the victor? Sure it is but even if you do pull it off, you'll soon find out that you won that battle so that you can engage in another - a court battle. Even if you're in the right, you can still find yourself tied up in a drawn out trial that is going to cost you time and money. You might even win your case but do you really want the hassel and be out of the money its going to cost you?

The best thing to do is to avoid confrontations all together if it is at all possible. While this may be extremely difficult to do given he's your neighbor, getting into staring contests is not helping your cause. Use situational awareness when you're in the yard, for example, and know what he's doing when he's across the street giving you the dirty eye. But don't, however, get caught up into his drama. If he wants to stare, let him have at it. Alot of times people do things because they strive for attention and they feed off of the drama they cause.

I like the advice you're being given about getting cameras and having video on your side. Even video, however, is not a 100% guarantee so don't put full confidence and trust in this effort/measure. Do what you can to keep yourself and your family safe. Document everything and call police like everyone else is telling you to do, etc.

Finally, if you haven't already done so, get a lawyer on retainer so that if something does happen, you have someone to call that is going to be there when you need him/her there. You might also check into getting insurance that's available for legal services if you don't have the money to pay for a considerable legal trial. It won't hurt to have the coverage now you're in a volatile situation. If something happens and the bum messes up and gets sent away because he's dealing drugs or whatever it is he might be possibly involved in, you can drop the coverage if its too expensive to keep indefinitely, etc.

I hope everything works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

I don't know if I would go as far as to say that the post is bogus. I agree though that there's always a history with stories of this nature. I'm 100% sure that we're not being told everything. Its human nature to tell matters that favor yourself and being on a forum where we have to take the OP at his word, we're at a disadvantage and have to give advice or thoughts based on the limited amount of information we're given. I also agree that if the perp has such a shady history/past then he's not a legal CCer but that doesn't mean he's not CCin illegally. Its also possible the OP has faulty information. He paid for a background check over the internet and I don't know how much faith and confidence I would put in that service. I find faulty information on the internet all of the time.

I had a problem with a neighbor and the police took reports, but did not send them to the prosecutor. I kept a record of all case numbers. Eventually, I personally contacted the county attorney and pursued it from there. I found I was one of many who called police on this guy. I was the first not to be intimidated or fearful. It took time but we won convictions.

You may find others have complained about your neighbor.

Years ago, I had problems with another person and he too had many prior similar incidents.

Another issue is your ability to get along and deescalate conflict. I once lived in an area that started nice and ended full of druggies and dealers. While I prepared to move, I was very cordial and said hello like we were all friends.

Learning to keep small conflicts from big ones take thought and not being blinded by ego.

If any or all of this is true... There are huge parts that are missing. Or could it be a background scent of bovine waste matter.

The police was ready to arrest him. One officer convinced me into not pressing charges, since there were no witnesses and he was saying the complete opposite.
    Wrong.... you should have and left a paper trail.. he would have lost his gun permit too. anyone that carries a gun shouldn’t act like that

edit: next time he does that and approaches you in an aggressive manner pepper spray him

VIP Member
    I'm calling MALARKEY.
    Every neighborhood has a Gladys Kravitz, she would have seen the whole thing, and had her husband up off the chair to witness as well.
    You stared him down after he did the same, he ambles over to the property line and draws a pistol and points it at your head. I would have taken a pic on my cell phone at that point, then called the police.

If your story is true, I appologize, good luck with the security cameras, hope they tell the story.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links