My Situation - Page 3

My Situation

This is a discussion on My Situation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Eagleks Personally, I think your post is bogus. If he had any drug related charges, he wouldn't have a CC license. Period. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: My Situation

  1. #31
    74
    74 is offline
    Member Array 74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hermit's Peak
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Personally, I think your post is bogus. If he had any drug related charges, he wouldn't have a CC license. Period. If it happened, and if he had a gun, then I doubt he had one "legally".
    I just want to comment on this part. What you say is not always the case.

    Charges are charges. Convictions are a different story, of course.

    Here in NM, if you have had drug-related convictions of a misdemeanor nature, simple possession for example, and five years have passed since the end of your sentence with no other occurrences, shall-issue applies and your CC app will not be denied. That's how the law is constructed. I know in other states, UT for instance, any drug-related offense disqualifies you altogether.


  2. #32
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,882
    Quote Originally Posted by 74 View Post
    I just want to comment on this part. What you say is not always the case.

    Charges are charges. Convictions are a different story, of course.

    Here in NM, if you have had drug-related convictions of a misdemeanor nature, simple possession for example, and five years have passed since the end of your sentence with no other occurrences, shall-issue applies and your CC app will not be denied. That's how the law is constructed. I know in other states, UT for instance, any drug-related offense disqualifies you altogether.
    The OP said he had been on probation for drug charges which to me sounds like convictions. Anyway, I am in on the camp that the story is bogus or there are many details left out.
    Assuming it was true the OP did not help the situation by taking part in a stare down competition with a neighbor he has already had a problem with. From his OP I can not tell if the guy was on his property or on the edge. There would be a difference. And before a weapon was drawn by his neighbor he had already grabbed something in a threatening manner toward at the time an unarmed neighbor who may or may not have been on his property.

    True story or not, bad judgment all the way around.
    Spirit51 likes this.

  3. #33
    74
    74 is offline
    Member Array 74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hermit's Peak
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    The OP said he had been on probation for drug charges which to me sounds like convictions.
    Sure- and if the law in FL is anything like what I mentioned, then his having a license is entirely legal and not out of the ordinary. Misdemeanor convictions, drug-related and non-drug related, are not automatic disqualifiers. People do turn their lives around in some cases.

  4. #34
    New Member Array tommygun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
    I had a problem with a neighbor and the police took reports, but did not send them to the prosecutor. I kept a record of all case numbers. Eventually, I personally contacted the county attorney and pursued it from there. I found I was one of many who called police on this guy. I was the first not to be intimidated or fearful. It took time but we won convictions.

    You may find others have complained about your neighbor.

    Years ago, I had problems with another person and he too had many prior similar incidents.

    Another issue is your ability to get along and deescalate conflict. I once lived in an area that started nice and ended full of druggies and dealers. While I prepared to move, I was very cordial and said hello like we were all friends.

    Learning to keep small conflicts from big ones take thought and not being blinded by ego.
    Contacting the county attorney is something I'm going to do.

    Alot of people think the story is untrue. I'll try to answer it for everyone below:

    The story of what occurred is exactly how I described it. Of course, there is a history between us. That's why the guy hates me and provokes me every time we run into each other outside.
    I'm just a little cautious of putting too many details online publicly. I will tell you that a few neighbors have had similar problems with him. He gives lots of people dirty looks around here, and
    tries to act like the gangster / tough guy. I live in an upper class neighborhood, mostly filled with professionals and even some professional sports stars.
    Another neighbor (an adult in his 40s) even had a physical struggle with him years ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by 74 View Post
    Sure- and if the law in FL is anything like what I mentioned, then his having a license is entirely legal and not out of the ordinary. Misdemeanor convictions, drug-related and non-drug related, are not automatic disqualifiers. People do turn their lives around in some cases.
    Correct. His conviction was a misdemeanor. I quickly looked up the law here, and I believe it said you could still get a permit with a misdemeanor.

    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    The OP said he had been on probation for drug charges which to me sounds like convictions. Anyway, I am in on the camp that the story is bogus or there are many details left out.
    Assuming it was true the OP did not help the situation by taking part in a stare down competition with a neighbor he has already had a problem with. From his OP I can not tell if the guy was on his property or on the edge. There would be a difference. And before a weapon was drawn by his neighbor he had already grabbed something in a threatening manner toward at the time an unarmed neighbor who may or may not have been on his property.

    True story or not, bad judgment all the way around.
    He was on the edge of my property. Remember, I was the one who grabbed the threatening object first, but that's because he had already warned me of harm (in a previous encounter). I was sure he wasn't coming over to my property to have a neighborly chat.

    Finally. I didn't mention that the second time (when he threatened me verbally and came up to my face), I recorded all of it on video.

  5. #35
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,882
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    Contacting the county attorney is something I'm going to do.

    Alot of people think the story is untrue. I'll try to answer it for everyone below:

    The story of what occurred is exactly how I described it. Of course, there is a history between us. That's why the guy hates me and provokes me every time we run into each other outside.
    I'm just a little cautious of putting too many details online publicly. I will tell you that a few neighbors have had similar problems with him. He gives lots of people dirty looks around here, and
    tries to act like the gangster / tough guy. I live in an upper class neighborhood, mostly filled with professionals and even some professional sports stars.
    Another neighbor (an adult in his 40s) even had a physical struggle with him years ago.



    Correct. His conviction was a misdemeanor. I quickly looked up the law here, and I believe it said you could still get a permit with a misdemeanor.



    He was on the edge of my property. Remember, I was the one who grabbed the threatening object first, but that's because he had already warned me of harm (in a previous encounter). I was sure he wasn't coming over to my property to have a neighborly chat.

    Finally. I didn't mention that the second time (when he threatened me verbally and came up to my face), I recorded all of it on video.
    Not defending anybody's actions here but
    1: He was not on your property
    2: You made a hostile gesture toward him with what could be a lethal weapon.....

    You wondering why the cops did not arrest him? It is a he said she said and you said a lot that does not look favorable.

  6. #36
    Member Array JDKinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    69
    Number one, QUIT STARING HIM DOWN!

    I remember as a young teenager, a kid came into our dojo and asked the instructor the "best way to block a punch." The instructor looked at the kid and calmly replied, "Do not be there when it is thrown."

    Ignore your neighbor when he comes outside. Yes, you can keep an eye on him, but you're an absolute idiot if you get into a whizzing contest or a "stare down."

    Number two, keep your cell phone on you when you're outside and if the alpha-hotel approaches you again, take pictures or video of him. Juries love documented evidence. Forensic examiners love it even more.

    Number three, sorry but this isn't passing the sniff test. Anytime a gun is pulled, I've yet to see where the cops ask the (would-be/potential) victim to "not press charges." Why? Because at that point, YOU have no say so. All the cop needs is probable cause that an assault has occurred and HE/SHE/THEY can enact the arrest whether you like it or not.
    I'm having a hard time believing a cop asked you to "not press charges" whether it was a he said/she said incident or not. Again, why? Because easiest thing to do is haul BOTH of you in and let the lawyers and magistrate sort it out.

    JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

  7. #37
    New Member Array tommygun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by JDKinman View Post
    Number one, QUIT STARING HIM DOWN!

    I remember as a young teenager, a kid came into our dojo and asked the instructor the "best way to block a punch." The instructor looked at the kid and calmly replied, "Do not be there when it is thrown."

    Ignore your neighbor when he comes outside. Yes, you can keep an eye on him, but you're an absolute idiot if you get into a whizzing contest or a "stare down."

    Number two, keep your cell phone on you when you're outside and if the alpha-hotel approaches you again, take pictures or video of him. Juries love documented evidence. Forensic examiners love it even more.

    Number three, sorry but this isn't passing the sniff test. Anytime a gun is pulled, I've yet to see where the cops ask the (would-be/potential) victim to "not press charges." Why? Because at that point, YOU have no say so. All the cop needs is probable cause that an assault has occurred and HE/SHE/THEY can enact the arrest whether you like it or not.
    I'm having a hard time believing a cop asked you to "not press charges" whether it was a he said/she said incident or not. Again, why? Because easiest thing to do is haul BOTH of you in and let the lawyers and magistrate sort it out.

    JD
    Great advice. Thanks


    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Not defending anybody's actions here but
    1: He was not on your property
    2: You made a hostile gesture toward him with what could be a lethal weapon.....

    You wondering why the cops did not arrest him? It is a he said she said and you said a lot that does not look favorable.
    Right. I Appreciate your thoughts and thats what I'm assuming the cops were thinking as well.

  8. #38
    New Member Array tommygun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    9
    There's obviously something not right mentally with this guy if you think about it.
    Isn't it common sense, that if you're carrying a concealed gun (with a permit),
    that the last thing you ever want to do is stare at another person, and then be stupid enough to walk up to his face (or home)
    in hopes of instigating something?

  9. #39
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,882
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Folks may be hard here sometimes but try to give straight up advice....oh...welcome to the forum

  10. #40
    New Member Array tommygun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Folks may be hard here sometimes but try to give straight up advice....oh...welcome to the forum
    Thanks for the welcome! That's why I posted my story. I just want to get people's honest opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

caracal c qs
,
caracal c qs disadvantages
,
conceal and carry situations
,
conceal carry advice in dangerous situations
,
conceal carry gun real situations
,
conceal carry situations
,
concealed carry situation
,

concealed carry situations

,
situationswhencarryingconcealed
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors