I know beaten to death, but glock trigger question

This is a discussion on I know beaten to death, but glock trigger question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sensei2 i have been twice certified as a Glock Armorer - certification is only good for three years, and my latest has ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I know beaten to death, but glock trigger question

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    i have been twice certified as a Glock Armorer - certification is only good for three years, and my latest has expired. that said, i prefer the Glock 3.5 connector coupled with the 8-lb. NY-1 trigger spring. two reasons: first: it gives IMO, a more consistent trigger pull in the 5-6 pound range - there is resistance from initial pressure until the gun fires. the stock spring allows a bit of light pressure slack before heavier pressure is needed. second: the NY-1 spring replaces the most fragile part on a Glock, which is (again, IMO), the stock trigger return spring. i've had such a spring break on me during competition. the gun can still be fired by flicking the rearward trigger forward with the trigger finger after each shot, but it's obviously MUCH slower. the NY-1 module squeezes its spring to operate, rather than stretch it like the stock spring, so it's virtually unbreakable in normal use.

as for your combination of 3.5 lb. connector with stock trigger spring: if it significantly improves your combat accuracy, and you have no other problems (see 40Bob's experience earlier in this thread), use it, but be prepared to justify it in court should you ever be involved in a shooting where you kill or wound someone.

"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. i love only that which they defend...." Faramir to Frodo and Sam in JRR Tolkien's The Two Towers. with much appreciation to the fellow DC member who included this in his/her post. i couldn't find that post again to give him/her credit.
    Doesn't Glock have a disclaimer that the 3.5 lb connector is not for use in carry guns, and should only be used in competition guns?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I don't know why people get worked up for doing trigger jobs on their carry guns. If the shoot is good then everything else (including ammo) isn't going to be a problem. My M&P is my EDC with a trigger job and I have no problems with it. My Glock on the other hand doesn't have a trigger job since I love the factory trigger.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I have found that a .25 trigger job smooths the trigger pull on my Glocks. I have done this to all of my non competition Glocks. Connector and spring are still stock.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

I hunt with a BLR. I'm used to shooting accurately with crappy triggers. Just practice.

First let me say I love Blocks and would carry one if they just had a safety.

In terms of gun modifications I do then like I do my carry ammo - I log it. When I have a gun worked on - especially if it's a "modification" I make sure I document why (article/blogs/books/ect.) and get as detailed a rec't from the gun smith as he can give me. I agree with the earlier post - smooth out a gritty trigger BUT train your trigger finger.

As a wheel-gun lover who carries a Sign 238 I have to really work on the finger muscle memory - going from my Smith 625 to the Sig 238 helps alot

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    I don't know why people get worked up for doing trigger jobs on their carry guns. If the shoot is good then everything else (including ammo) isn't going to be a problem. My M&P is my EDC with a trigger job and I have no problems with it. My Glock on the other hand doesn't have a trigger job since I love the factory trigger.
    Plenty of people go to prison for good shoots. Ever hear of Harold Fish? Part of what sent him to prison was that he was carrying 10mm hollow point ammo (where it was legal).
    Last edited by Badey; May 28th, 2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: add content
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    what combo do you like? Is there anything inherently unsafe with using a 3.5 connector and 6lb trigger spring for ccw, if, it is holstered and only drawn to shoot?
    bottom line........ It is perfectly safe to have a trigger setup like so
    Glock 23 Gen3-- Mepro Light Tru Glo night sights-Polished Internals-3.5 lb connector-6 lb trigger return spring Extended slide release lever-Stainless steel guide rod-Pierce grip plug
    Glock 26 gen3--
    Pierce +2 mag extension w/ finger groove

When I ran irons, I couldn't tell much difference in my shooting with either stock set-up or the 3.5 connector.

Now that I've gone the milled slide/RDS route, I like the lighter easier trigger pull on my pistol:

What is the Purpose of Using A Mini-Red Dot Sight On a Pistol: Combat?
    Mike1956 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Doesn't Glock have a disclaimer that the 3.5 lb connector is not for use in carry guns, and should only be used in competition guns?
    dear Badey: it has been 6-7 years since my last Armorer's certification expired. my last memory is that Glock wouldn't SELL you a 3.5 lb. connector unless it was FOR a competition gun like the 24 or 34/35. for a long time, the only way you could get one was to take one out of a gun that already had one in it. in the late 90's, other vendors like Lone Wolf, started to have OEM Glock 3.5 connectors for sale. i bought several from them. i believe that Glock never officially OK'd the 3.5/NY-1 set-up that i like, but they didn't condemn it either, perhaps because the total trigger weight is around 5-6 pounds. i don't know how they felt, either on or off the record, about just subbing the 3.5 lb. connector for the stock 5 lb. one in a carry gun.

Plenty of people go to prison for good shoots. Ever hear of Harold Fish? Part of what sent him to prison was that he was carrying 10mm hollow point ammo (where it was legal).
    You mean Harold Fish who had is convection overturned?
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    You mean Harold Fish who had is convection overturned?
    After spending $500,000 in court costs and attorney fees, and being in prison for a few years. That may be acceptable for you, but not for me...
    TVille likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I put the standard Ghost 3.5 on my 27. It lightens it up enough that I thought the springs were best left alone to be on the safe side for a carry gun. I will Ghost the trigger and likely will also swap springs around on my new G35, however. I don't plan on carrying the 35, but I might have to unload it on a home invader or zombie horde.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

After spending $500,000 in court costs and attorney fees, and being in prison for a few years. That may be acceptable for you, but not for me...
    Then don't carry a gun.

You shoot someone, expect to go to jail (maybe for a few hours, maybe for a few months) and expect to spend a lot of money in legal fees.

I still think its amazing to still find people that do not think (or know) what may happen after the shoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links