I know beaten to death, but glock trigger question

This is a discussion on I know beaten to death, but glock trigger question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What combo do you like? Is there anything inherently unsafe with using a 3.5 connector and 6lb trigger spring for ccw, IF, it is holstered ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I know beaten to death, but glock trigger question

What combo do you like? Is there anything inherently unsafe with using a 3.5 connector and 6lb trigger spring for ccw, IF, it is holstered and only drawn To shoot?

Mas Ayoob, among others, states that you should not modify your carry gun (particularly the trigger)... I can't speak to the safety issue, but from a prosecution issue if you are involved in a self-defense situation, it is best not to modify your carry gun's trigger
    RayBar likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

NO; I carry with mine like that. Just keep your finger off the trigger until you’re ready to shoot. Most striker fire guns have an 8lb trigger for safety reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Mas Ayoob, among others, states that you should not modify your carry gun (particularly the trigger)... I can't speak to the safety issue, but from a prosecution issue if you are involved in a self-defense situation, it is best not to modify your carry gun's trigger
    Walt Rauch, in his book "Real World Survival : What Has Worked For Me" calls this thinking the "Ayoob Syndrome", and states that it NOT really accurate at all. Ayoob did the Forward to that book, and agrees that that advice has been exagurated to death over the years, and is not as accurate as most would believe in a criminal court of law. Info starts on Page 88 of that Rauch book.

Badey, as well as 90% of the shooting public (me included), never modified their guns in fear of this mythical "modification beast". I now do it to my heart's content.

VIP Member
    Do it or don't do. That is your personal choice. Just remember that there IS a possibility that you will be called to explain any such modifications.

If you can couch it in terms of increased ability to hit what you are aiming at (and NOT little Timmy across the street), then you should be good to go. I wouldn't be afraid to modify if I could express that as my reason.

I think what we should all be wary of on any carry piece, is any modification that cannot be justified in this way. It may be cool and high-speed, but if it does not improve accuracy or reliability, it doesn't belong (at least, not on mine).
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

As long as you keep your finger off the trigger it is fine. I modify my guns to fit me. I like Mas, he is a good guy, however, unless the gun goes off by itself, it is not the gun. My Gen 4 23 would double with the 6lb trigger spring so I put the factory spring back in.

Personally, I like the factory trigger pull (5.5lb give or take). I am used to the Glock trigger, I know what the take up is, where it breaks, and the reset. Just a habit for me. Many are unhappy with the stock Glock trigger and then seek modifications. Only reasons I have ever replaced trigger springs and/or connectors was for competition and I've even changed recoil springs for that. For carry, I recommend learning the stock trigger and making it a habit. There is a current thread going on about the Ghost rocket or whatever they call it connector. I am also going to say that the every day tinkerer should not attempt modifications on their own even if it sounds and looks simple or there's a dozen youtube videos on how to do it. There needs to be at least a basic concept of how these things work and interact mechanically and your best attempt at being satisfied and adept with the stock set-up beforehand. Just suggestions here....from me. I've been shooting and carrying Glocks for around 14 years now give or take. Shooting Glocks in competition for about five years. Only thing I'll do to a Glock right out of the box is put a smooth trigger in the compacts and sub-compacts. Personal preference. Installing better than stock plastic sights comes next. Whatever you do or think about doing, just remember your responsibilities concerning carry and safety. What if a family member needs to use your pistol when you're down? What did you teach them with and how? I do think the stock Glocks come stock with the best trigger pull. Polish the existing parts if you wish. Those new to Glock should at least give it a chance and put some serious rounds down range before wanting more or less. 400-600 rounds a month for nine months out of the year for three years in a row seems to be my latest average. Been slacking this year and last.

VIP Member
    As far as I have found, the only times anyone has gotten jacked up legally over modified triggers have been when the modifications have played parts in accidental discharges resulting in injury or death, especially with revolvers tweaked to fire easier from the single-action cocked position.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    Walt Rauch, in his book "Real World Survival : What Has Worked For Me" calls this thinking the "Ayoob Syndrome", and states that it NOT really accurate at all. Ayoob did the Forward to that book, and agrees that that advice has been exagurated to death over the years, and is not as accurate as most would believe in a criminal court of law. Info starts on Page 88 of that Rauch book.

Badey, as well as 90% of the shooting public (me included), never modified their guns in fear of this mythical "modification beast". I now do it to my heart's content.
    You do what you want. I just got done listening to the proarms podcast (two days ago) in which Mas said not to modify your guns. He also posted the same on the Glock Talk forums.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1420441

I was just trying to offer the OP some solid advice from the most trusted name in self-defense.
    Last edited by Badey; May 27th, 2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: wrong link
    stancehold likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    As far as I have found, the only times anyone has gotten jacked up legally over modified triggers have been when the modifications have played parts in accidental discharges resulting in injury or death, especially with revolvers tweaked to fire easier from the single-action cocked position.
    Massad's argument is that the prosecuting attorney may try to say that your shot was an AD or ND because the trigger pull was so light, and in a court of law, there is no such thing as a "justifiable accident"

*yawn*

As long as the trigger pull is consistent from shot to shot, I really don't care much. I really like the stock Glock trigger - the reset, in particular, is outstanding.

That said, I can work the longer Kahr trigger just fine. My longer and heavier LCP's trigger - ditto. Train your trigger finger to execute a smooth and steady trigger pull that is straight back, and leave the bloody trigger (whatever it is) alone.

JMHO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    What combo do you like? Is there anything inherently unsafe with using a 3.5 connector and 6lb trigger spring for ccw, IF, it is holstered and only drawn To shoot?
    My advice is to worry more about your index (trigger) finger than the trigger your index finger will be on. That is your first and last TRUE safety on any firearm and it is controlled not by any lever or push/pull switch or latch, but rather by a powerful (in most cases) gray matter located between the right ear and the left ear.

Mr. Ayoob has had so many of his stances and positions (advice) stretched beyond reason that it is almost scary.

If YOU modify your trigger with a home hillbilly hacksaw and file job to where you've filed down the sear so thin that a hummingbird's flatulence would set it off, and somewhere down the line your firearm discharges and strikes/injures/kills someone, then you are eligible for a negligent homicide charge. Note that I said "charge" and not "conviction."

Factory or factory authorized (think: authorized/licensed by the factory armorers) work or modifications on a firearm will rarely ever work against you in prosecution because at issue will be your state of mind and intentions.

However, in CIVIL court. . . . this is where the slimeball ambulance-chasing pukes will use every dirty trick and reference they possibly can, and your homebrew hillbilly file job on the trigger will probably work against you in a negligence civil lawsuit.

JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

VIP Member
    Massad's argument is that the prosecuting attorney may try to say that your shot was an AD or ND because the trigger pull was so light, and in a court of law, there is no such thing as a "justifiable accident"
    Again, the only precedence I have found in case law involved modified revolver triggers which actually did result in accidental or negligent discharges.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

[QUOTE=RoadRunner71;2271635]Do it or don't do. That is your personal choice. Just remember that there IS a possibility that you will be called to explain any such modifications.
    QUOTE]

Show us one case of that... the fact is there is none... people have been making mods for years but unless it for a sole purpose like shooting a specific person or in defense of a structure there is none

i have been twice certified as a Glock Armorer - certification is only good for three years, and my latest has expired. that said, i prefer the Glock 3.5 connector coupled with the 8-lb. NY-1 trigger spring. two reasons: first: it gives IMO, a more consistent trigger pull in the 5-6 pound range - there is resistance from initial pressure until the gun fires. the stock spring allows a bit of light pressure slack before heavier pressure is needed. second: the NY-1 spring replaces the most fragile part on a Glock, which is (again, IMO), the stock trigger return spring. i've had such a spring break on me during competition. the gun can still be fired by flicking the rearward trigger forward with the trigger finger after each shot, but it's obviously MUCH slower. the NY-1 module squeezes its spring to operate, rather than stretch it like the stock spring, so it's virtually unbreakable in normal use.

as for your combination of 3.5 lb. connector with stock trigger spring: if it significantly improves your combat accuracy, and you have no other problems (see 40Bob's experience earlier in this thread), use it, but be prepared to justify it in court should you ever be involved in a shooting where you kill or wound someone.

"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. i love only that which they defend...." Faramir to Frodo and Sam in JRR Tolkien's The Two Towers. with much appreciation to the fellow DC member who included this in his/her post. i couldn't find that post again to give him/her credit.
    Last edited by sensei2; May 27th, 2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added quote and thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links