All about pepper spray. - Page 3

All about pepper spray.

This is a discussion on All about pepper spray. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; no one here is saying OC spray will cover all situations but it is a step in a line of defense items that should be ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: All about pepper spray.

no one here is saying OC spray will cover all situations but it is a step in a line of defense items that should be considered. It might just save you a night or 300 in jail
    accessbob and Burns like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    no one here is saying OC spray will cover all situations but it is a step in a line of defense items that should be considered. It might just save you a night or 300 in jail
    Barstoolguru is correct. Not every situation warrants lethal force and only carrying lethal force options can have very bad consequences. The key is - OPTIONS. You have the option to attempt to stop someone without lethal force when lethal force is not warranted/legal. If you don't have the option then you will likely find yourself on the chopping block if you use a lethal response to a non-lethal situation.
    Last edited by accessbob; May 29th, 2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: changed from MAY to WILL LIKELY
    Burns likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Great write up, OC is a good option for many but I can see how a trained H2H fighter would not want to engage with a person covered with spray. Of course I have always believed that there is always someone better in pretty much any activity, shooting, fighting, gardening, add any other activity, so on the off chance you do run into that person a shot of OC to the face and get out.

Just to add, WI limits size to 2 ounces and it must be clearly identified as OC spray so no pen or lipstick disguised canisters.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    Great write up, OC is a good option for many but I can see how a trained H2H fighter would not want to engage with a person covered with spray. Of course I have always believed that there is always someone better in pretty much any activity, shooting, fighting, gardening, add any other activity, so on the off chance you do run into that person a shot of OC to the face and get out.

Just to add, WI limits size to 2 ounces and it must be clearly identified as OC spray so no pen or lipstick disguised canisters.
    Correct.. I think I may have put 4oz in the thread by accident... It's up to 60 grams, which is 2.11 ounces.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vista461 View Post
    Seems like a rip off, besides the fact I wouldn't carry gun shaped pepper spray. Just seems like a bad idea.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    It doesnt look much like a gun at all... and its see through, and its pink... you should watch how effective it is on youtube :)
    In low light your not going to see that much detail, more likely you're going to see someone pointing something gun-like at you.

Quote Originally Posted by vista461 View Post
    In low light your not going to see that much detail, more likely you're going to see someone pointing something gun-like at you.
    Agreed on a low light or no light situation that might be a death threat

not guaranteed to take a man down but I bet he didn't like it

New Member Array RightToProtect's Avatar
    I have done a little bit of research on the legality of UV dyes in OC spray in the state of Wisconsin, but I never found anything in the state statutes to indicate that UV dye is illegal. Could you reference your source OP? It is pertinent to my interests because I visit Wisconsin frequently, and I am in the market for an OC spray that is legal to carry with me to the state.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...941/III/26/4/a
    This would seem to indicate that CN tear gas mixed with OC would be illegal (as you correctly point out) but that UV dye and other inert substances that do not cause pain would be legal.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/jus/14
    There is nothing in here either that would indicate that UV dye is illegal.

Please correct me if I am wrong...it is possible that I have missed it or have misread the statutes.

The Sabre Red keychain canister is good for carrying because of the stream delivery, IMO. I started carry of OC a couple month's ago. Gander Mtn. in my area had a sale on the pink one (I'm ok with that) for $10.00. Got one for my wife also. I like the choice of lethal or non lethal. Like it better than the knife.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

I will throw my 2 cents in.

I was an instructor trainer for the USBP for about 15 years, that means I trained people to be instructors. We used Cap Stun which is VERY hot with a SCH rating of 1.5 million and is delivered in a conical mist.

I will tell you about my best exposure with Cap stun and Sabre red.

I was doing jumping jacks, wearing full duty gear and a simunitions gun.the instructor walked up and delivered a spray from 2 feet from navel to the top of my head. My eyes immediately slammed shut with intense pain. I was also being attacked! I had to use my left hand to open my left eye so that I could see my attacker approaching at 10 feet with a knife. I engaged with simunitions, had to do 2 reloads and use cover, the whole time firing at my aggressor. This whole situation took about 1 minute.

OC is a great non lethal option but it does not work on everybody, it is not useful in anything but a light breeze (unless you want some too).

I was teaching a class of crusty old agents and exposure was voluntary. There were some guys with the SO there who were gonna take a hit, so I told my guys if they let me douse them they could douse me with the stuff the SO uses (Sabre red). Well I got 2 cans of Sabre red and it did not bother me until I hit the shower, water activates the OC as well as dilutes it and washes it away.

The delivery mode is very important, in the video above you saw the steam, the subject was not incapacitated, but he was not happy. The mist, you really have to be close to get a good exposure. Like anything else, if you are gonna use it, use it. Notice the cop really used it. There are 2 main carriers for the OC alcohol and water. Alcohol is flammable, water is not.

OC gives you a good non lethal option, it may diminish your opponents capacity, it may really make you opponent angry. Use it like a sucker punch - stick and move. It is more effective if they do not see it coming.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Heres another article about pepper spray some of you may find useful.

Pepper Spray Explained

I would love to see a comarison chart

I was wondering if anyone has used Streetwise PepperSpray?

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I notice there isn't a whole lot on this topic so I decided to spend some time and make a thread going through this subject.
    Before deciding to carry pepper spray you should look into your laws and see what is and is not legal. QKshooter made a thread about which states are legal and aren't legal and their restrictions here is the link: OC Pepper Spray - Is It Legal In Your State? The main legalities to look at are:

-

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links