All about pepper spray.

This is a discussion on All about pepper spray. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I notice there isn't a whole lot on this topic so I decided to spend some time and make a thread going through this subject. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: All about pepper spray.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

All about pepper spray.

I notice there isn't a whole lot on this topic so I decided to spend some time and make a thread going through this subject.

Before deciding to carry pepper spray you should look into your laws and see what is and is not legal. QKshooter made a thread about which states are legal and aren't legal and their restrictions here is the link: OC Pepper Spray - Is It Legal In Your State? The main legalities to look at are:

-(UV)Ultra Violet Dye: A lot of states allow it, here in Wisconsin however, it is illegal. It is a great way to help police locate the suspect.

-Percentage of OC (Oleoresin Capsicum): This is the oil that is extracted from the peppers. It normally ranges from 2%-20%. Note that the percentage does not necessarily mean it is any hotter, there are many 2% sprays that burn much more than 20% sprays. Most states allow up to 2%, here in Wisconsin we can have up to 10%.

-CN Tear Gas (alphachloroacetaphenone): It is a strong irritant that is occasionally added to OC spray. Here in Wisconsin, it is illegal.

-Amount you can carry: You have to look at how much you can carry, in Wisconsin I believe you can have up to 4 ounces. You can carry separate cans but the overall amount must not exceed that.

-Safeties: Most states require that you have some sort of safety on your pepper spray and a good idea even if not required to prevent accidental discharge. Flip top is the most common type.

-Expiration date: This is something to keep in mind that is often overlooked when ordering online. If there is no date on the can it cannot get shipped to Wisconsin. Regardless if it is legal or not to get shipped to your state, you should be aware that the shelf life is typically 2-5 years.

How hot the actual OC spray is is measured in Scoville Heat Units (SHU's). The more SHU, the hotter the spray is. This is why I said the actual percentage of OC does not necessarily play a role in how hot it is.

Pros and Cons of the different types:

There are 4 main types of pepper spray. They all have their pros and cons. Youtube has quite a few videos so you can see exactly how each one sprays.

Stream- This is one of the most common types. It shoots a narrow stream and is typically pretty accurate and can shoot up to 15 feet. There is not a great deal of blow-back, however you still do not want to be shooting it directly into the wind. A pretty decent choice if you are looking into buying.

Gel- This is one of the newest types to come out. It shoots a narrow stream of GEL instead of spray. It is very sticky and isn't easy to wipe off. It is much more unlikely to get any blow-back compared to the spray/stream. A very good choice if you are considering buying some.

Foam- Foam has a wider spray than the stream/gel types. The only downfall to this is it is very easy to wipe the majority of it off and it is not wise to be in contact with the BG when he/she is sprayed, as the foam will easily get on you also. There have been reports of the foam being wiped off and flung BACK at the victim, but this is very unlikely and not something you should use to rule out this option.

Fog- Last but not least we have the fog type. As the name suggests this is a widely dispersed spray. Blow-back is extremely possible with this type and should not be used in any windy conditions if you do not wish to get any on you. This is, however, the best option for indoors/multiple subjects because of the large area it sprays.

I'm also adding the Kimber Pepper Blaster. It contains 2 shots and has a decent range. It supposed to be pretty powerful stuff. There are videos on Youtube of people getting hit by this so you can see what it is capable of.

Also adding the Fox labs pepper spray grenade. The link is on the post from Badey below. Could be useful to add to the collection of home defense products.

Another tip to add to this: Never keep you pepper spray in the glovebox or trunk of a vehicle. It can get too hot and that is the last thing you would want... Anywhere else in your car should normally be OK however, even on hot days.

Brands:

There are many good options for which brands to go with. Some of the most popular include Sabre red, Fox labs, and MACE. I would recommend FOX labs over any. It has many good reviews and is known as some of the hottest sprays you can buy.

There are many good reasons for both men and women to carry OC spray. I'm sure a lot of you have been in/seen/heard of situations where you don't know if it would be justified to shoot or not. Pepper spray has offered a non lethal solution to this problem. If it is your life in danger, spray and immediately run (if possible). Keep in mind that the spray will sometimes be less effective on BGs who are intoxicated. It always works amazing on dogs and bears and pretty much any animal that wants to cause you harm.

I'm no expert in this but hopefully this answered a few of the questions I have seen people asking lately. If you see anything missing feel free to comment.
    Last edited by Burns; May 27th, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

2. Remove Ads

Excellent post and helpful. Any thoughts on delivery types? The have guns , squirt type etc? I am looking for one for my daughter that's 22

Sent from my 300 baud modem

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    Excellent post and helpful. Any thoughts on delivery types? The have guns , squirt type etc? I am looking for one for my daughter that's 22

Sent from my 300 baud modem
    Ahh, I forgot the Kimber Pepper Blaster. It only has 2 shots, but even if 1 hits they are supposed to work awesome and has a pretty good range. It's about $35-40 but I hear very good reviews on it. Something to look into :D Otherwise the gel and stream would be my top 2 choices.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I've actually been considering adding some OC spray to my EDC. I found this, and while I wouldn't carry it, it's an awesome idea!

Fox Pepper Spray Grenades
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I've actually been considering adding some OC spray to my EDC. I found this, and while I wouldn't carry it, it's an awesome idea!

Fox Pepper Spray Grenades
    Yea I considered adding that to my review, but after an hour of typing I somehow forgot it :/

I may have to buy one, I would love to see one of those in action :D

I've just started carrying pepper spray. Little key chain Sabre brand. Mostly because since I've moved to Kali a couple months ago, my TX CHL of course is not valid here. I've also got one for my daughter. But she's 18 and still thinks the world is made of peaches and rainbows so I have to keep reminding her. In cali they have some stupid restrictions though. Like size you can carry and there has to be something on it that says for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    I've just started carrying pepper spray. Little key chain Sabre brand. Mostly because since I've moved to Kali a couple months ago, my TX CHL of course is not valid here. I've also got one for my daughter. But she's 18 and still thinks the world is made of peaches and rainbows so I have to keep reminding her. In cali they have some stupid restrictions though. Like size you can carry and there has to be something on it that says for self defense.
    Yeah some of these laws regarding pepper spray are ridiculous.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    The Sabre Red keychain canister is good for carrying because of the stream delivery, IMO. Better if you have to engage in close quarters, or in a windy envronment.

I also like the 'Home & Away Defense' kit by Sabre, which has that keychain canister as well as a larger canister of the foam product. A larger can of the Sabre Magnum OC/tear gas spray stays in the car for the possible large crowd scene.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    The Sabre Red keychain canister is good for carrying because of the stream delivery, IMO. Better if you have to engage in close quarters, or in a windy envronment.

I also like the 'Home & Away Defense' kit by Sabre, which has that keychain canister as well as a larger canister of the foam product - a larger can of the Sabre Magnum OC/tear gas spray stays in the car for the possible large crowd scene.
    You just reminded me of another thing to add. Never keep OC in the glovebox of a car, anywhere outside the glovebox should be fine tho :D

And yeah that kit is pretty good, especially for the price.

I added it to my EDC set up on this belly band and it keeps my pockets free but like everything else it has its limits. If it’s a life or death situation I am blowing ammo but if it’s some punk is just acting in a threatening manner it is not going to be a good day for him

100_1839.jpg

I always carry OC spray. I figure my objective is to escape a situation, and if a shot of OC spray gives me a chance to get out of dodge without having to use my firearm, then it is a smart play.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Don't forget that if your OC spray is in a hard plastic container it makes an excellent impact weapon similar to a Kubotan.
    The Old Anglo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Ahh, I forgot the Kimber Pepper Blaster. It only has 2 shots, but even if 1 hits they are supposed to work awesome and has a pretty good range. It's about $35-40 but I hear very good reviews on it. Something to look into :D Otherwise the gel and stream would be my top 2 choices.
    Seems like a rip off, besides the fact I wouldn't carry gun shaped pepper spray. Just seems like a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by vista461 View Post
    Seems like a rip off, besides the fact I wouldn't carry gun shaped pepper spray. Just seems like a bad idea.
    It doesnt look much like a gun at all... and its see through, and its pink... you should watch how effective it is on youtube :)

Distinguished Member
    I carry spray with me daily as a non-lethal extra option. I had to use one of mine not too long ago, but it was on a pack of dogs who were charging at me full speed. I don't know if it was the spray or the loud NO! I yelled when spraying at them that got them to stop but they did and ran off. Just that in itself has convinced me that I never want to be without it. I have been wanting to see about the Kimber spray as it is something that seems to be a good alternative as well.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links