CHL Holder Saves Woman From Vicious Dogs

This is a discussion on CHL Holder Saves Woman From Vicious Dogs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No marksmanship medals, but he got the job done. WSYX ABC6 On Your Side Top Story - Woman Loses Finger in NE Columbus Dog Attack ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: CHL Holder Saves Woman From Vicious Dogs

VIP Member

No marksmanship medals, but he got the job done.

WSYX ABC6 On Your Side Top Story - Woman Loses Finger in NE Columbus Dog Attack

"Woman Loses Finger in NE Columbus Dog Attack
    COLUMBUS -- A woman lost a finger when she was attacked by dogs during her morning walk. Dorothy Bass, 77, was walking with three friends along Lone Spruce Road in northeast Columbus when two Cane Corso Mastiffs approached the group. Police say one of the dogs lunged at Bass's hand after the woman tripped and fell to the ground. One of Bass's companions also fell, then pulled a gun and fired multiple shots at the dogs. He says it was an effort to save his friend, and himself.

"I loaded the chamber and stood over where I wouldn't shoot her, and I aimed at both of them," Frederick Marshall said. "I shot two or three times." Marshall says neither dog was shot. He says he's often seen the animals chained to a tree, and they always appeared menacing. The Mastiffs are now in the possession of Columbus Animal Control. The dogs' owner refused to speak with ABC 6/FOX 28.

Bass lost a section of her hand, including a pinky finger, in the attack."
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Sounds like someone needs more range time... Never the less, it's good to see a positive story in th news.
    abillb likes this.

VIP Member
    The owner ought to be in the possession of Columbus Animal Control.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Adrenaline pumping, worried about possibly hitting his friend, and I'm sure the dogs weren't just standing there with targets on. All things considered, I say the person did fine.
    goldshellback likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Adrenaline pumping, worried about possibly hitting his friend, and I'm sure the dogs weren't just standing there with targets on. All things considered, I say the person did fine.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Well, he got the attack to stop...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

At least he HAD a gun...nice work on his part.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^

I'm in this camp.
    Sure the old guy could get in some more practice, but we're probably talking about someone who may not have had an extensive background with handguns, so I say, well done.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Friend of mine had two of those same types of dogs... they got loose one day and attacked an old lady. Imagine that. Stupid part was I told him probably 6 months before it happened they were going to get loose one day and kill somebody... lucky for him they didn't kill the person.

I agree with you. I have heard that breed of dog can be dogs from Hell. I guess the lady should feel lucky for only losing a couple of fingers and not her life.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Sounds like they're lucky the gun shots scared the dogs off,On the other hand he is the type of CCW/CHL/CWP holder that gets there permit and never practices again thinking that just carrying a gun is enough.#1 had to chamber a round in the gun #2 missed 2-3 shots at point blank range,sure his adrenaline was thru the roof,but I'm sure it won't be any less if he is getting robbed,and his misses may find an innocent victim,not to mention that depending on type of surface those rounds hit there is very possibly collateral damage somewhere
    ducatirider likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The outcome was ok, but there are some lessons to learn about this.

1. Why carry with round not chambered? You may as well carry a hammer instead. Chambering a round wastes precious seconds when confronted with danger. It could make the difference of life or death or getting your "gun hand" mauled by a dog and then it's over.

2. Needing more range time or shooting practice is a must. Good that the dogs were frightened by the noise of the handgun being fired, but some dogs are not and would continue the attack.

3. Need way more situational awareness. If they knew those dogs had been "chained to a tree" and appeared to be menacing, then why walk near them. If possible, avoid that area.

Still though, a person did have a firearm and it was used to stop an attack and that is what we constantly preach about. Hopefully lessons learned, albeit the hard way.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    In this case, pepper spray may well have caused respiratory or cardiac failure in the victim, even if it worked on the dogs.

Cattle prod or taser would be a bad idea, IMO, as the victim was in wet tissue contact with the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    In this case, pepper spray may well have caused respiratory or cardiac failure in the victim, even if it worked on the dogs.
    Good points about OC. Age and physical limitations should be considered as there are many types of OC from Spray to Gels, patterns,strength etc. It is really effective on Animals, I carry it when walking, jogging or hiking as well for just that

Sent from my 300 baud modem

"I loaded the chamber and stood over where I wouldn't shoot her, and I aimed at both of them," Frederick Marshall said. "I shot two or three times."

Marshall says neither dog was shot. He says he's often seen the animals chained to a tree, and they always appeared menacing.
    where did all them shots go; there was 2 or 3 stray bullets that went somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post

Cattle prod or taser would be a bad idea, IMO, as the victim was in wet tissue contact with the dogs.
    sorry but pepper spray sounds a lot safer then this guy shooting. there are 2-3 shots that could have hit someone else; they had to go somewhere!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links