Carry: Small, Light, Lesser Power VS Big, Heavy, Lotsa Power?

This is a discussion on Carry: Small, Light, Lesser Power VS Big, Heavy, Lotsa Power? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a variety of Carry guns, fact all but a .22, I can Carry- I like whatever I shoot at the range to also ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Carry: Small, Light, Lesser Power VS Big, Heavy, Lotsa Power?

I have a variety of Carry guns, fact all but a .22, I can Carry- I like whatever I shoot at the range to also be practical so I bought with that in mind

Basically, I'll either Carry snubs: a Colt Detective or Colt Cobra 38, nice, little, comfortable, easy and fast draw, I handle both well and accurately.

OR: I Carry a Sig 45 at about 46 oz loaded, or a Colt 1911 full size, same weight (it's in Colt repair now, second serious issue) or sometimes a great gun: Beretta 92 9mm, same weight, tad lighter than the Sig and Colt but feels quite light on the belt. With these I am pretty fast drawing and firing accurately. And I have it a set-up (shark-skin belt, Perry's suspenders, great Alessi holsters) so they carry fairly comfortably - but not like the snubs.

So, what do you think: smaller with more comfort and less power or big, less comfort, great power (45acp that is - the 9mm somewhat since it's out of full size barrel)?

VIP Member
    My Glocks are large enough to carry plenty of rounds and to be easy to handle, but light enough to comfortably carry concealed all day every day.
    baren likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    IMO, the smallest, thinnest, lightest (maybe not the easiest to shoot except for the 45's)
    45: Kimber and SA 3" alloys...25 oz (SA-XD and Glock are some compacts, but the pinky rolls under)
    40: Kahr PM40...16 oz
    357: S&W 340PD...12 oz
    9mm: Rohrbaugh R9...13 oz

I don't see an advantage for the 38 spl or 380 from what's on the market in 357 or 9mm. A good belt and holster can make a bigger, heavier gun more comfortable. Of those you mentioned, I'd roll with the 45, until I got a smaller 45, 40, or 9.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Depending on your attire, situation, etc. I say carry as large (balance between caliber and capacity) as you can comfortably. Sometimes, for me that is a xd40sc, 442, PT709, G36. It purely depends on circumstances. Nothing wrong with either one....OR BOTH!!!
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    ........Nothing wrong with either one....OR BOTH!!!
    Thanks, I like that! I'm forever thinking about the answer to the question I posted, and meantime end up rotating between the snubs and usually the Sig 45, sometimes the Beretta 92 (After this last SERIOUSLY DANGEROUS screw-up with the Colt 1911 I think I don't trust it for Carry - and won't even when fixed).

I end up once a month switching, I'll miss the other gun. And maybe that's OK. (But probably not good to wear a different gun every day of the week on the other hand.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: I also should have mentioned I have a 4" Colt Python 357 - greeeeeeeeat gun! But for a number of reasons I don't hardly ever Carry it though as firepower and delivery system: the best. But it's valuable, nickle finish which mars easily, and feels like you have a '68 Buick on your hip. Plus it's a big honker to conceal well.

I clasify my carry guns as either off duty/less likely to get into a problem guns, and service sized weapons. Depending on where the day is headed I may choose a different gun... or like Big Dude says... maybe two. If I'm egaging in an activity that may bring me into contact with people in or from depressed area's or in area's strange to me I'll usually carry a service sized pistol or revolver. Every day running around my usually safe community I'll usually opt for a smaller gun.

I often carry a combo of xd40sc and S&W 442. Two hands, two guns....concidence???
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Depending on what Im doing at the time and weather hot or cooler. Ill carry anything from my kel-tec 32 up to a 9mm. Riding my bike its usally my 32. And cooler weather and other criteria my thunder 380 or a 9mm.

KSP
    I prefer small and light carry. I live in a fairly quiet kind of town, and my .38 snubbies or pocket 380 feels like plenty. When I venture into the nearest major metropolitan area, I like to go with a single stack 9mm. I have a black widow 22mag that I really like, but unless I'm going to take out the trash or just walking the dog around the block, it feels a little lacking.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I also like full size carry guns I seem to end up trading off the smaller eaiser to carry guns.

Why? Well my 1911's & Browning Hi Power carry so well with an IWB holster, flat powerfull.

But mostly I carry for a reason "defence"! If it would ever get to the point, god forbid ( & I mean God forbid) I ever had to draw a handgun in self defence I want every chance I can give myself to survive! Waving around a .380 or a 5 shot way slow to reload .38 revolver is just a nightmare that I don't want to have to live out.

So I try to stay aware stay out of any kind of mess that might escalate to gunplay, and I try to keep my fullsize fighting pistols close at hand.

Well, I pocket carry an LCP pretty much all the time. I have other guns, but I wasn't carrying them all day every day so I bought the little .380. To hear some talk the .380 won't do anything but piss a bad guy off-- whatever, the simple fact is that I wouldn't carry a .45 around all day and I will a .380, so I do. If 7 rounds of .380 JHP center mass won't do it I guess I'm SOL, but I'm in better shape than with 0 rounds of the .45 or 9mm I left at home.
    surefire7, RKflorida and Rhcmlc like this.

It really depends on what I'm doing. Most of the time it's my Sigma or Glock 21. I do have a Bodyguard .380 for pocket carry, sometimes in combination with another gun.

I carry a Para Black Ops or a Springfield Champion SS. I have a Beretta PX4 Storm SC that's not comfortable to carry, it's to thick. The thumb safety is the opposite of my 1911's and my holster for it was a waste of money.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

I understand what you're trying to say, but I think your premise is a bit flawed. There are no handguns that have "lotsa power." All common handguns are marginal stoppers. And there is precious little difference once you get .380/.38 Spl and above.

I pocket carry two smallish pistols - but I carry them every waking hour, at home or when I'm out and about. No worries about going unarmed, because I don't have the time or inclination to strap the whole big/heavy carry rig on. Belt and suspenders? Seriously?

So, I'd say that the best option would be the one you can carry ALL the time. I can almost guarantee that isn't going to be the "big & heavy" option.
    surefire7, RKflorida and Rhcmlc like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    90% of the time I carry my full sized Springfield 1911-A1. 5" barrel, 8rnds .45ACP. Not gonna need much else.

Currently, due to back surgery, I'm carrying my recently acquired Taurus PT22. Not pretty, not strong, and only 9 rounds of .22LR. But, better than trying to fight someone off by hand, or throwing a rock.

As soon as I can, I will be getting back to my 1911.

And, OP, as far as that Python- you'd better hold on tight; that's a beautiful gun to have. Of course, I feel that way about most anything in .357MAG...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links