Galveston Ferry carry?

This is a discussion on Galveston Ferry carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Taking a trip to the beach for a couple of days and was wondering if it was legal to carry on the ferry? I don't ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By accessbob
  • 1 Post By smolck

Thread: Galveston Ferry carry?

Galveston Ferry carry?

Taking a trip to the beach for a couple of days and was wondering if it was legal to carry on the ferry?

I don't plan on getting out of my vehicle, but they do random vehicle searches. Sorry if this is a repost.
    "Molon Labe"

2. Remove Ads

Have you checked with the ferry co and see what their policy is? If it’s in your vehicle it should be fine under the castle doctrine. My wife went to Padre Island and she had to go through a check point on the way back but the where looking for drugs and illegals

Thumbs up

Actually I didn't even think about that lol, thank you for the heads up
    "Molon Labe"

Distinguished Member
    I believe this link is applicable:
    Ferry Rules
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

The Dept Homeland Security is involved so it could be similar to a border crossing or the checkpoints they run down near the mexico border.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The Dept Homeland Security is involved so it could be similar to a border crossing or the checkpoints they run down near the mexico border.
    So you shouldn't go running down the ferry deck yelling, "I've got a gun! I've got a gun!" ???
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

So glad you spelled Ferry right. Otherwise it means something totally different.
    barstoolguru likes this.

re searches
    check 4th amendment

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    So glad you spelled Ferry right. Otherwise it means something totally different.
    you sure don't want to ride the other ferry to Galveston

You shouldn't have any problem carrying on the ferry. Especially if you have a concealed handgun license. I have carried a number of times and even had a case of ammo in my vehicle when I selected for inspection. They didn't ask about any firearms, but did ask me what I was doing with all that ammo. Told them that do a lot of shooting and that was that. No further questions.

It is legal and you don't have to worry about the ferry at Galveston.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Update: it was non event lol I went with the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Thank you for the replies, I was just concerned because I heard it was a government/federal owned vessel and my thinking was that it was the same basic principles as walking into a post office, which is a no no in Tx.
    "Molon Labe"

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    You could ask over at texasguntalk.com, seems like somebody there actually worked on the ferry, if I remember correctly. I was once told, by a retired cop,that this ferry is considered an extension of a Texas road. Not sure if this is correct,just what he said. I see a lot of people who appear to be in their 70's pulled to the side for a search. One other thing I heard, the people conducting the searches are more like contract labor,not actual federal agents. This is not legal advice of course, make sure and check for yourself.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyzig87 View Post
    Update: it was non event lol I went with the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Thank you for the replies, I was just concerned because I heard it was a government/federal owned vessel and my thinking was that it was the same basic principles as walking into a post office, which is a no no in Tx.
    If that is the case the for sure you can carry. Under Texas law they can't stop a CCer from carrying on state owned property unless it's a school or scholastic function

PC 30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
    (1) carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and
    (2) received notice that:
    (A) entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or
    (B) remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.
    (b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
    (c) In this section:
    (1) “Entry” has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).
    (2) “License holder” has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).
    (3) “Written communication” means:
    (A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: “Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun”; or
    (B) a sign posted on the property that:
    (i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    (ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
    (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
    (d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section

Very excellent points. It's very rare I get a vacation and in the future I need to do my homework on my travel route to and from destinations.
    "Molon Labe"

Was looking for something on the internet and saw this... Pretty much what was said already. For future reference for anyone crossing with firearms just make them aware, show license, I would unload it (one out of the pipe also if you carry that way) just to be sure. The guards searching don't care to much as long as it's all legal stuff and not like a van full of explosives or assault rifles. Now here is the catch... the ferry captains can do whatever they want and have in the past. The guards are restricted by codes set up by homeland and the coast guard but the ferry captain can dig in whatever he wants when you are on his ferry and many are known for not being the best and certainly forgiving. A few are nice but some are real jerks. Things might change but for now this is how it is.

Also... legally your not supposed to take pics of the ferries. Guards usually don't care as long as it's not pylons or structural stuff and more ocean things but again... the captains might get a hold of that camera. Bigger concern is propane bottles if your on vacation. Those are a no-no and confiscated almost daily. Also gas can's WITH gas inside them. Empty don't usually get confiscated. Bales of hay (when on fire the cores reach temps hot enough to go straight thru the hull of a ship... someone actually tested this). There is a BIG list I won't repeat everything but things like that. Be aware, the staging area is government property and the usual State rules don't always apply. You can be turned around for any reason and have to drive several hours around if your a jerk. Getting picked for search is usually a great thing as guess what? You get priority loading after your search and in the summer that means you could be loaded several hours before others are. So be nice, most of them are nice, and have a good time, and I'm always hoping I get searched so I go thru fast :) Downside... coast guard has been known to every few months divert ferries full of people away for a complete search. Your life will suck if this happens but they won't care about the gun either as long as everything is legal just it takes FOREVER.

Hope this info helps.

Links