Muzzle Direction

This is a discussion on Muzzle Direction within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To set the stage and provide background: I’m new to guns, especially revolvers. I have chosen a J frame as my carry gun, and have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Direction

Pocket carry question

To set the stage and provide background:

I’m new to guns, especially revolvers. I have chosen a J frame as my carry gun, and have decided to use a strong side pocket carry using a DeSanties “Nemesis” holster. I have carried the gun around the house and working in yard loaded with snap caps, just to convince myself that I couldn’t cause an ND by doing everyday activities.

This last weekend my permit came, and I decided to make the obligatory trip to Wal Mart for ammo, but skipped the nachos as my wife want pizza for lunch instead. (She just didn’t get the nacho idea when I tried to explain the tradition to her.)

To make a long story short, we ended up sitting across from each other in a booth at the pizza joint. About halfway through lunch it occurred to me that we were sitting with our legs pointing at each other and my gun in its holster was pointing at her. I repositioned so my leg was directed away from her, but I was (and still am) unnerved by the thought of sitting with a pocket carry gun pointing at someone, or something.

My question is: Am I being paranoid, worrying about an ND from a pocket carry gun in a “good” holster and nothing else in the pocket? Or is this a legitimate issue?

2. Remove Ads

Yes, it is not a legitamate issue, there is no risk.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I have a little 9mm derringer that I sometimes pocket carry. I also carry my main gun in a horizontal shoulder holster sometimes. I just don't worry about an ND from a holstered gun. Practice, with your snap caps, drawing with your finger off of the trigger. Fingers on the trigger are the cause of ND's.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

If it is properly holstered it is not an issue. Just about anyplace you can were a gun the muzzle is pointed at some part of your anatomy.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    I pocket carry a S&W 642 in a pocket holster a fair bit. It is going to be pointed at someone a lot of the time when I am sitting. It isn't going to go off by itself. So I don't worry about it. After awhile of carrying you will get used to it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    This is gonna sound pretty smart assish....so please dont take any offense to it. Unless you can pull the trigger with telepathy ...then its not a legitimate issue. A holstered gun without a finger on the trigger isnt a danger to anyone.
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Cliche' aside, carry safe by keeping it in a proper holster, practice and before long you won't even think about this.

I have handled revolvers all my -- well almost -- my life and never ever even came close to firing a round without my finger on the trigger, hammer not cocked. I picked up my 1911-style for concealed carry 18 months ago and worried about the sames issue you raised. So I wore it IWB and pocket carry at different times 7+0 until I started feeling comfortable and proficient handling it. Now it's 7+1, safety on and I am comfortable, but more importantly, safe. Moral of the story is work your way through the issues and you will convince yourself correctly that it's safe. Practice and time will bear this out. Your awareness of the gun at this point in time is normal and necessary.

Administrator

As above and DITTO the others - and as you have described an unintended discharge would be impossible.
    Well, NOTHING is impossible.
    I suppose if you were to be struck in the pocket by a gigantic bolt of lightning it "might be possible but, still unlikely" for the weapon to discharge but, then you would have other more immediate things to worry about.
    I honestly cannot think of any other possible way the firearm would discharge. It's perfectly safe.

Number one cause of ND is fondling the trigger. Think about the mechanics of the gun. It will not fire without encouragement. If you are uncomfortable with your gun after a warm up period of a few months, find a gun you are comfortable with. A revolver will have a good safe double action trigger. Shooting your wife under the table would be your imagination running wild from the ideas planted in your mind by the evil Brady campain....just kidding...kind of....
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Not a Problem...

don't give it another thought!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the responses. I just needed to hear it from other legitimate sources that I was being silly.

This is the reason I come to this forum, becuase the advice and thoughts are always sensible. (And, there are good pictures of guns, too....)

Quote Originally Posted by freethead View Post
    About halfway through lunch it occurred to me that we were sitting with our legs pointing at each other and my gun in its holster was pointing at her.
    Are you sure it was the gun pointed at her??

Cool

Freethead,
    A well designed pocket holster will cover the trigger, this will prevent intended or accidental discharge while handgun is holstered. Hope this helps.
    http://sunriseleather.com/images/PH7...ketholster.jpg
    Last edited by 2cam2go; September 11th, 2006 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Add photo of holster as example.
    2cam2go
    www.sunriseleather.com
    NYPD (Ret)
    "Form follows function".....Frank Lloyd Wright

Quote Originally Posted by freethead View Post
    ... but I was (and still am) unnerved by the thought of sitting with a pocket carry gun pointing at someone, or something. My question is: Am I being paranoid, worrying about an ND from a pocket carry gun in a “good” holster and nothing else in the pocket?
    A gun just sittin' there on the table won't spontaneously combust. Nor will a good gun in a good holster. One great thing about revolvers is that it's all but impossible for any discharge to occur while the cylinder wheel is bound up inside that holster. Assuming your holster also covers the trigger, it's all but impossible for you to even fire that thing until you've physically removed it from holster/pocket. Not to worry.

Though, since you are worried a bit, definitely take 10mins each evening for the next few weeks to practice the following [i]with a completely unloaded weapon[/u]: holstering, drawing, reholstering. Practice putting on the holster for the first time of the day, and removing the holster before you retire for the evening. Walk through the steps. After a hundred instances of practice, you'll be able to reholster one-handed through muscle memory. In the end, you'll see that, with a well-designed holster, the gun's not going to do anything on its own.

Welcome to the wonderful world of carrying.

I strongly recommend some hands-on, practical training via a defensive firearms/handling course. It will settle your mind and provide the drills & skills necessary to comfortably and responsibly carry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links