College carry

This is a discussion on College carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Michigan it is legal to carry on campus just not in dorms or class rooms. I can see why the dorms are a bad ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College carry

College carry

In Michigan it is legal to carry on campus just not in dorms or class rooms. I can see why the dorms are a bad idea but why the class rooms? Tonight I have a class that gets over at 9:30 pm and then I have to walk a long way back to my car. What are the laws in some other states? If no one has any really good reasons why I shouldnt be able to legally carry I am going to start working on getting the law changed.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Here in Oklahoma we have to have permission from the university president to carry on campus. I'm sure you can guess how often that permission is given.

In Utah it was just decided that the University of Utah cannot continue to violate state law and tell students they cannot carry. However, the school is appealing to the federal courts and is saying that it is still not allowed until the appeal is decided. In any event, with the federal courts getting involved the issue will get more attention, which may help you to work with the Michigan legislature. Of course, there is no good reason why a CCW permit holder should be barred from carrying, unless you believe the lies that come from the gun grabbers.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Lead Moderator
    The politicians never have good reason for any laws they pass. (well mostly) .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Good luck.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    it's concealed , right?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

$500 fine 6 month CPL suspension and possible expulsion from said school. Is all that worth it?

I think it is wrong to prohibit carry in colleges but I am not going to break or condone the breaking of any laws.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    In Tennessee, only non-student adults may "have" a firearm on campus. Said firearm must be left in a vehicle and not touched while on campus, by state law (not university policy). Basically, even Handgun Carry Permit holders must stow the firearm in a gun safe or other such, since even taking the firearm from the passenger compartment to the trunk would violate the letter (if not the spirit) of the law.

In Kentucky all they can do is ask you to leave if they notice you have a weapon. I work at a University, so I guess I could get fired if they catch me. With that said, I'd rather be fired than dead.

Mississippi prohibits any carry on any educational campus unless an authorized gun event is hosted. FYI

Louisiana will not let you carry on campus unless you are going between your dorm and your vehicle, or you need the weapon for a school activity and have permission from the school.

In michigan, carry on the entire campus's of Wayne State, U of M, and Mich State is illegal. For some reason, they get to make their own rules on it, and the state legislature cannot over rule it. It was explained to me that since those three universitys have publicly elected board of regents, that makes them about equal for making their own rules for their respective campus's. So no carry at all on their campus's, even if you have a CPL. And with WSU and UM being so mixed in with Detroit and AA, it could be a pain to know where your legal. With the rest of the campus's, you can carry in the parking lots. I just took the class and I asked the cop there who was giving the legal part. And he said parking lots are exempt, so when I have class, just toss it in the glove box, lock it, and I'm legal.

There is possible loophole though, its been discussed some on other boards. I'll post it next. This way its separated from this and doesnt get too long.

Well the other board seems to be down, so I cant copy it. I'll try to summerize it as best as I can remember.

MCL 750.234d

MCL 28.425o

AG Opinion #7113

Basically, if you read MCL 750.234d, it lists where firearm possession is prohibited. It also lists those exempt from it, in which is lists "(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon."

Now MCL 28.425o is the law regarding where concealed carry is prohibited. The key word in this law is CONCEALED. The very first line is "(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:"

Words of interest is bolded.
    The list from this statute is basically the same as in MCL 750.234d.

So, from these laws, a CPL can possess a weapon in the areas listed in 750.234d. But a CPL holder cannot carry a CONCEALED pistol in the areas listed in 28.425o. It says nothing of an openly carried pistol though.

In fact, AG Opinion #7113 says a reserve officer, who is EITHER fully authorized acting peace officer, OR has a CPL may carry openly in a holster in the gun free zones listed in both 750.234d and 28.425o.

Why couldnt the same principal be applied to civilian CPL holders?

-Open carry is legal in Michigan.
    -A CPL holder, under 750.234d, can possess a firearm in the areas listed in the statute.
    -A CPL holder, CANNOT carry a CONCEALED PISTOL in the areas listed in 28.425o.

So a person, who possess a valid CPL, carrying openly in a holster, could, theroretically be legal to carry in the gun free areas, such as a college classroom.

Now, I am not in anyway a lawyer. I dont suggest someone go out and try this and be the test case. But what I do think someone could do is bring these points up with a lawyer, or a rep or something, and see if we can get a law or a AG opinion to clarify things.
    Last edited by Matto4785; September 11th, 2006 at 10:41 PM.

It looks like Utah just got this problem handled.
    http://attorneygeneral.utah.gov/PrRe...mber082006.htm
    Virginia Citizen's Defense League
    The Soldiers Creed
    This here JimmyHat is for your protection, and mine.

VIP Member

IANAL, but...

Writ of Mandamus served on the President of the University of Utah, anyone? It worked for Mr. Marbury.

Texas Universities

In Texas it is legal to carry on public roadways and in public parking lots. So what that means is when I go to school, my gun stays in the car. No buildings, no dorms, nothing of the sort. I cant say that I agree, but I WILL follow the law. Its what separates us from criminals. We follow laws, even though we may not like or agree with them.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links