Visiting Chattanooga

Visiting Chattanooga

This is a discussion on Visiting Chattanooga within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I are planning a trip to Chattanooga Tn this weekend. After looking at handguns USA I am a bit confused. Can I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HKR

Thread: Visiting Chattanooga

Visiting Chattanooga

My wife and I are planning a trip to Chattanooga Tn this weekend. After looking at handguns USA I am a bit confused. Can I carry in state parks etc? It appears that yes I can unless posted. Restaurants serving alcohol a bit unclear as well. Are there any off limits places besides the usual (schools etc) ? Thanks.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

You are correct. You can carry in state and local parks if not posted.
    Restaurants serving alcohol are the same way, as are any other businesses or properties. TN no longer requires an "official/legal" posting statement. Any "no firearms" or "gun buster" sign is enough.
    Also, posting in TN carries the weight of law.
    Have fun.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Most of the parks i've been to are posted pretty clearly unfortunately.

My buddy is flying back home to Chattanooga from Chicago...maybe you'll be on the same flight? FYI if you are flying into Chattanooga, the airport has been easy to deal with when declaring a firearm.

Come to Georgia. You can carry in parks with a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Most of the parks i've been to are posted pretty clearly unfortunately.

My buddy is flying back home to Chattanooga from Chicago...maybe you'll be on the same flight? FYI if you are flying into Chattanooga, the airport has been easy to deal with when declaring a firearm.
    Appreciate the thought. We are driving from Chicago.
    --Wyatt Earp

-- Wyatt Earp

You can carry in any state park in TN with a HCP. Many state parks still have the old signs as the state did not want to pay for removal. All local parks in Chattanooga and Hamilton County are posted unless I'm mistaken.

HKR
    Chattanooga is a beautiful city (most of it anyway) with a very quickly escalating violence/gang problem. It's also a very unfriendly place for carry, with seemingly more signs popping up weekly according to my friends who visit a lot. We used to go regularly but now it's 2-3 times a year at the most and that's only when we have to.

They really push the riverfront for tourists, but you can't carry at 99% of it.

If you have the time check out some of the beautiful natural attractions in the Chattanooga area. Point Park Military Park on Lookout Mountain is just outside the city and gives you great views of parts of the city and the river. A little farther south is Cloudland Canyon State Park or Chickamauga Battlefield Park, both in Georgia.

If you venture into Georgia then all parks are open to carry and signs hold no legal weight. You must leave if asked by private businesses or you can be charged with criminal trespass.

If you live in Illinois which has no provision for concealed carry,In what state did you get a cc license? If you have a valid cc license,then yes,you can carry in state parks unless posted. As to resteraunts serving alcohol, you may carry in the dinning area..Tennessee has automatic recognition of permits from other States.

Hi all:

Just got back from our visit. As to the last poster, I have CCW permits from Utah and Florida. As to the city itself, nice place, but I noticed that almost all of the restaurants were posted no guns. Signs were everywhere. I agree with one above. Not that gun friendly of a city. Thanks for all your feedback.
    --Wyatt Earp

-- Wyatt Earp

HKR
    It's really sad. Chattanooga is such a good place to spend a day or a weekend. With all of the outdoor activities located in a close proximity, it's also nice to be able to run into the city and grab a bite to eat or some piece of needed equipment. Sad that they don't wish for people to be able to protect themselves while strolling along the river, taking kids to the parks or shopping at the highly touted North Shore shopping/dining area.

The city spent the better part of the last two decades ignoring the growing crime/gang problem, all the while promoting itself as a wonderful place to live and work in order to bring in new businesses. Once VW agreed to come in they decided that the method works so they have continued it.

Just in the last six months to a year have they started openly admitting to the gang issue.

It's all starting to catch up to them..

Links