Virginia CCW - Only one gun???

This is a discussion on Virginia CCW - Only one gun??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A buddy of mine said that he sees the ruling in VA for CCW to mean that you are allowed to carry ONE concealed gun, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Virginia CCW - Only one gun???

Virginia CCW - Only one gun???

A buddy of mine said that he sees the ruling in VA for CCW to mean that you are allowed to carry ONE concealed gun, not more than one. He cites this section of the law:

section D: Any person 21 years of age or older may apply ... for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun.

He specifically call out "carry A concealed handgun" as meaning one. While I have to see his logic, I still am unclear, and we called the State Police and asked, and were told "we've not seen that" and the officer even said "I carry one in the car, and one on person", but that is technically one on body, and one not. My buddy says it means only one on body.

Any VA SP here, or anyone who knows the interpretation of this section, if it means just one, or if more than one can be carry concealed?

2. Remove Ads

Well, not VA SP here, but I recently attended a CC class taught by a NC SP and he told about a time he pulled over a biker on his Harley for speeding and knowing what gun nuts us bikers are he asked the fellow if he was armed and the gentleman replied, "Well, yes I am. I have this .357 in my vest pocket." "Do you have a CCP?" asked Smokey. And the biker pulled out his wallet and handed the SP his card, and Smoke goes, "You have any other weapons in your possession?", and the fellow says, "I have a .38 in my waistband. And another .38 in my pants pocket. Oh, and a .22 in my left boot." "Sir", the trooper asks, "why do you carry so many guns?" "Because I can", came the reply. And the trooper knew he was right. At least in NC. But I'll bet the laws in VA are the same. Legal wording is very specific. For instance, if the law says apples are illegal and a cop asks if you have an apple, you can't get off by saying, "No, I have 10 apples!" That'll just get you rabbit-punched. And if you can't carry but one gun, the law would have to explicitly say that to avoid every judge in the state getting lawyered to death. Just my thoughts, but my thinker doesn't let me down often! I earned that handle the hard way: living.
    BaldSasq likes this.

Yeah, see, a "legal interpretation of the word "A" making me lose my CCW, and my guns" is something I wish very much to avoid. Maybe I should just move to NC. :-)

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I am reminded of mister Clinton "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is"...
    Walk softly ...

I see nothing in the Virginia gun laws that specify one gun only. To be sure,the Virginia State Police Have a Help line Check with information for this number.I don't have it available,but I have called it to ask a question that arose from one propective student about her husband being a convicted felon. I got the number from Gander Mountain Firearms Dept.
    BaldSasq likes this.

several places in my state's code they use the word 'A' in the reference to firearms, and there is no such restriction. In most states things are not illegal unless specifically stated as such, not the other way around (everything is illegal unless permitted). So unless the law specified only one, then it would not restrict more than one.

Look at this this way. I own more than one car. If someone asked if I owned a car, I would say yes, and would be 100% truthful. The fact that I own more than one doesn't mean that I don't own a car.
    BaldSasq likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldSasq View Post
    A buddy of mine said that he sees the ruling in VA for CCW to mean that you are allowed to carry ONE concealed gun, not more than one. He cites this section of the law:

section D: Any person 21 years of age or older may apply ... for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun.

He specifically call out "carry A concealed handgun" as meaning one. While I have to see his logic, I still am unclear, and we called the State Police and asked, and were told "we've not seen that" and the officer even said "I carry one in the car, and one on person", but that is technically one on body, and one not. My buddy says it means only one on body.

Any VA SP here, or anyone who knows the interpretation of this section, if it means just one, or if more than one can be carry concealed?
    Contact your state rep or consult with Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL) (hopefully you are a member)....and have them ask the AG for his interpretation. I have a VA CPL and have carried more than one gun at a time (because I could). I don't take other people's interpretation of the law, unless they are a member of the bar, and their opinion actually means something in a court of law.

Do not consult the VSP on the law, as they are not lawyers either....and their advice, while insightful, hold zero legal weight.
    BaldSasq likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    If its not on paper it might have never been said, that same legal person can change his/her mind later, then ur in the wrong anyway. The only person I trust is GOD.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Another option, if you want to carry 2 guns. Conceal 1 and open carry 1.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think if they would have spelled out clearly how many you could have on you if there was such a limit. IE you can conceal 1 weapon opposed to the wording they are using.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I go to Va quite frequently and have never had a problem carrying. I've been stopped twice, once for speeding (got a ticket too), and gave the trooper my THP and he asked where "it" was and I told him and that was all he asked about "it". Haven't thought about this before until this thread, but he sure as heck didn't ask where "they" were. On the other stop the LEO just handed the permit back and didn't ask any questions. Told me I had a tail light out, not even a warning. I had a friend stopped near Abdingdon late one night and the LEO asked him where "it" was and he said one is on my right hip and the other is in an ankle holster and he didn't even get a speeding ticket. Those are the only examples of which I have personal and second hand knowledge, sorry.
    BaldSasq likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I've read the Virginia Concealed Weapon Statutes, and I don't see anything prohibiting carrying more than one gun. Not an attorney, so don't base your actions on anything I say.

Have you gone to a local gun store or a place that holds the concealed weapons class and ask their opinion? I would try that route first before dealing with the State Police that will never give you a definitive answer.

If you live in Virginia, you might want to read this:
    LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I lived in VA for 14 years, and I frequently carried more than one gun. I knew our local DA very well, even bought a gun from him once, and he was well aware of my 2 gun carry. I would not give it a moment's thought, carry as many as you like. You can always call your local Commonwealth's Attorney office and ask them.

Here is my take also. It says "to carry a concealed handgun". OK, here is a concealed handgun, and here is also a concealed handgun. It doesn't say "only one".
    BaldSasq likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Only the state of New Mexico limits carriers to one concealed firearm. All other states allow all you can carry. There are a few states that require you to list the firearms by serial number etc on your permit/license and can only carry those listed on the permit/license. California and New York come to mind.

Only one state limits caliber. Oklahoma only allows firearms up to 45 Caliber. So you can't carry your 50 Desert Eagle in OK.
    JD and msgt/ret like this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Over analyzing it. If your VA CHP was only good for one handgun, it would say, "This permit only good for concealing one firearm". duh
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links