Has anyone ever lost a weapon

This is a discussion on Has anyone ever lost a weapon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was 16 when myself and my two friends were loading up to go shooting. I had my 4 inch Colt Trooper in the holster ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Has anyone ever lost a weapon

VIP Member
    I was 16 when myself and my two friends were loading up to go shooting. I had my 4 inch Colt Trooper in the holster ready to go. I left my bedroom and upon returning could not find it.

After an hour of searching no luck. My dad came in looked for maybe 10 seconds and said "Well look a little harder and you might find it". I continued my search and finally giving up I sat on my bed in despair. The hard lump under my butt I guess hit the switch and I then remembered that I had laid my gear out on my unmade bed and then had followed mom's instruction "Make sure your room is straight before you go" so I had promptly made my bed with the gun in it.
    atctimmy and ANGLICO like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

I have never lost a gun. I have never misplaced a gun.

I have, however..............um...........carried one is my car so securely that I almost forgot it was there.

[visualize the embarrassed face of an experienced man who has learned well from a youthful bout of stupidity. There is a long version, but here are the quick facts:

High Standard derringer hidden deep in the center console of my car. It sort of lived there.
    Took an impromptu trip to Vancouver BC, in a time when crossing the border was as simple as driving across a state line. Mostly they just waved you through.
    On the way back (technically on US soil) the border patrol asked us to pull aside for a once over.

THEN and only then, did I remember the derringer.

I immediately informed the border cop and everything stopped while they got us out, searched the car and ran the serial number of the gun....and me, too.
    He said it was damn lucky it was the US side that the incident occurred on. NO sense of humor about it in Canada at all.

The sent me on my way, an hour and a half later, feeling mighty lucky and incredibly, amazingly stupid. And lucky.....did I mention lucky?
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    A certain Scout Sniper Platoon SSgt (to remain not named - and is not me) will attest that he, um, dropped a fully dummy corded and clipped Rubber Training AR (M16 model rubber rifle, one each) into the Alemada Channel (SF Bay) near the coast guard station while doing night recon boat operations. Spent the next two days scuba diving in murky water to find it...... It's still down there if anyone wants it! (was legally recorded and removed from the Units CMR with the COs signature).

We gave him a whole lot of 'crap' over that one.......

Nope. But I lost a wallet once, and THAT is bad enough.

Ace
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    No, but I have had dreams (nightmares) that I lost my weapon.

I think one thing that is being overlooked a little is the fact that had you needed that gun for SD and went to draw it,you would not have had it available.Make sure the holster you select will not only retain the holstered gun on your belt,but retaining the gun in the holster.
    Someday you may find yourself having to fight off a threat physically,if the holster or gun comes off your belt or out of holster that easily the end result could be fatal,not to mention shopping somewhere and hearing a clunk only to find everybody around with looks like they just saw a turd in the punch bowl
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I usually carry an all steel 1911. I always notice it if it isnt there. Even with suspenders. Jus sayin.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

funny you posted this. I haven't had a similar experience, but last night I had a dream that I lost mine on a University campus, along with all my cloths. I was running around campus frantically searching for it, wrapped in a curtain. When I woke up there it was on the nightstand, boy was I relieved :)
    stancehold likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gobbly View Post
    funny you posted this. I haven't had a similar experience, but last night I had a dream that I lost mine on a University campus, along with all my cloths. I was running around campus frantically searching for it, wrapped in a curtain. When I woke up there it was on the nightstand, boy was I relieved :)
    This made me laugh out loud!!!

Never a pistol, but many years ago, my ex-girlfriend loaned my shotgun and rifle to her mother and step father without me knowing (I was a stupid kid, they were always just in the gun cabinet and rarely used). I later moved out of state for a job, shipped some of my clothes and figured I'd get the rest of my things in a few months when my family drove down to visit.

Fast forward 6 months - no longer with the ex, both her parents died (ouch, i know) and the worst part is that no one knows where my guns were! The cops were involved at one point and my dad was super disappointed. Never again. If I ever do anything like that again, my guns will be with me.

there's an AMT Backup 45 at the bottom of Bear Lake in Utah due to an unfortunate fishing accident I had in 1993.

Hate to admit it but I came very close to loosing one forever. And I did loose it for about 4 hours.

Went on a late winter/early spring fishing trip about 90 minutes from home. It was probably the first weekend to hit the low 60's so far that year so it was crowded with one after another boat putting in at the boat ramp.
    I was by myself and launched , tied off,parked truck and hurried back to my boat to get it out of the next persons way who was waiting to launch.
    On the 90 minute ride up there I had taken out of my front pant pocket my keltec P32 and pocket holster and placed in the console. When I parked the truck I grabbed it and slid it in my jacket pocket as I had done a hundred times before and headed to the boat.
    When I bent down quickly to untie the boat I heard a thump, then kerplunk .

I instantly realized what the sound was. When I bent down the keltec had fallen out of the slash cut jacket pocket, thumped on the dock and went right into the water.

I looked around just knowing as many people that were there that someone had to have seen it happen but no one had. I went ahead and cast off and stayed withen eyesite of the dock. After everyone had launched and left I went back to the dock and found the water depth was about 9 ft. where it went in at and water temp was probably in the low 50's.
    I knew I could not get to it myself so I loaded up the boat and drove to the local FD and asked if they had a rescue diver or knew of one locally.
    They gave me the # of a guy from a local search and rescue group and he came out and wet suited up.
    20 minutes later after retrieving 4 sunken fishing rod and reels he finally came up with it.

I dont think I have ever been as relieved about anything in my life as I was when I saw it in his hand.

On another note I know of 2 people both in canoes on seperate occasions where one over turned and lost a week old glock, and another who lost but recovered a Drilling combo gun.

OK, my turn...
    At the time, I was wearing light hiking pants with large square front pockets, in which I was pocket-carrying an S&W 442. I was at a local bookstore, sitting in one of the comfy chairs. Well, after a while I got up to go get something to eat. In the food court, I realize something's missing...my gun had slid out of the pocket into the chair. Expecting to kiss my permit goodbye, I headed back to the bookstore. Fortunately, instead of finding the place crawling with police, I saw my ruck sitting in the chair, covering the pistol. No harm, no foul.
    From that time on, I have checked the pockets of new trousers to make sure it doesn't happen again!

Has anyone ever lost a weapon
    Ask the FBI....I hear they are good at loosing weapons. Me? That would be like loosing the keys to my house. No.....I've never lost a weapon or my keys. I shouldn't go on further to say what I think of those that might in this thread. For shame for shame.

Haven't lost any gun, ever. A decent quality holster along with a good belt will help keep this from happening, If you are into pocket carry, you gotta pay attention and only wear pants/shorts that won't encourage the gun to pop out.

I've lost a couple of knives over the years to poor pocket design. The last one I was lucky enough to get back. Now my SAK is attached to a belt loop with a lanyard. Not gonna happen again.

Learn from your mistakes.
    Question Everything!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links