Taking a gun on a trip to Mikey's Home

This is a discussion on Taking a gun on a trip to Mikey's Home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We're making a road trip from Texas to Disney World in Florida in a couple of weeks. I know you can't (or should not, at ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Taking a gun on a trip to Mikey's Home

Taking a gun on a trip to Mikey's Home

We're making a road trip from Texas to Disney World in Florida in a couple of weeks. I know you can't (or should not, at least) carry while in the theme parks and that is not my intent. I am trying to decide whether to take the gun or leave it at home for the trip. Along with my wife and I in our car, our son, daughter in-law and the grandkids will be along in their car. I am the only one who carries. I guess my thoughts are more for the trip coming and going than actually for the time at the theme parks. It will be a two day drive with an overnight somewhere around Mobile, AL. There will of course be numerous pit stops along the way. You know how it is on long trips with kids.

At the parks I'm a little skittish about leaving the gun in the car simply because of fear of a break in and theft. I know, we've never had it happen but it has happened to others and thus the little hesitancy.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

2. Remove Ads

Does your car have a lockable trunk? (With lockable remote release?) If so, if it were me I'd take it and just lock it up if you need to.

Not sure I'd feel I couldn't carry it into Disney, either, though it's usually pretty safe space.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

My car is a Ford Explorer. No actual trunk. Of course we will be leaving our luggage at our hotel while we're at the park but even there, I don't want the cleaning staff ruffling through our luggage and finding my gun.

I don't know what the legal story is with CC on the DW premises and I agree that that area is safe enough and as such does not warrant carrying. My only thoughts for carrying are for the trip to and from Florida. I don't expect that we're going to be spending much time actually in Orlando, nor driving around there much. Pretty much between our hotel (which I believe is very close to the park) and the park itself.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by danwdooley View Post
    My car is a Ford Explorer. No actual trunk. Of course we will be leaving our luggage at our hotel while we're at the park but even there, I don't want the cleaning staff ruffling through our luggage and finding my gun.

I don't know what the legal story is with CC on the DW premises and I agree that that area is safe enough and as such does not warrant carrying. My only thoughts for carrying are for the trip to and from Florida. I don't expect that we're going to be spending much time actually in Orlando, nor driving around there much. Pretty much between our hotel (which I believe is very close to the park) and the park itself.
    Most hotels these days have in-room safes. You should be able to request a room with one so that you can safely store any valuables. The safes usually work off of a combination that you set when you close it, and resets when you open the safe. (Close the safe, enter code to lock; enter code to unlock, open safe- code is reset). Or, they go off of the magnetic stripe on your credit card- so only you, or someone with your card can open the safe in your room- but (at least at the places I stayed) there was NO CHARGE for using it. Might be different where you're going. I don't know.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Could be that the room will have a safe. I hadn't thought of that. On all of our ocean cruises we've made heavy use of the in room safe. I stay in hotels regularly as I travel for business but I can't say that I've ever used a hotel room safe nor hardly noticed which rooms do or do not have them.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Could you leave it in the hotel safe?

I carry at Disney all the time. Everytime. No problems. There are many post about it here on DC. Inside WDW it is very safe, outside not so much. Are you staying on property ? PM me.
    shooterX likes this.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

VIP Member
    Actually Mickey lives at Disneyland.....
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I usually carry a Glock-36...for trips to Orlando Disney we store the Glock in the trunk of one car, or in a hidden safe in the truck.
    I then pocket carry a KelTec P-3AT for in the park and trips from and to the car. They only search bags, not pockets.
    It is NOT illegal to carry there...they do not like it, but if discovered you would only have to leave. I've been there many times without problems.
    i would not worry much about something hidden in the car...LOTS of security patrols in the lots.
    I refuse to be unarmed going to or from the car.OMOYMV
    shooterX likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

ok guys here is the scoop on WDW carry.

there is no law against carrying there including the theme parks water parks, hotels and downtown disney.
    many have carried there and have had no problems, others have been spotted and asked to leave, if you are spotted and asked to leave you must comply without questioning them or you will be arrested for armed trespassing.

Some have said that WDW has lockers for you to check your gun, I cannot say if that is true or not.

I would opt for concealing and not asking, in addition don't wear your knife or anything else that appears to be tacticool.
    conceal well and hope for the best, or get a car safe and lock it up in there, car break ins are not all that common.

VIP Member
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Mickey and Pluto were killed in a drive by shooting. Rumor has it they were trying to move in on Mighty Mouse's cheese territory.

Seriously though. I'd take the gun and get a COM safe. Secure it in the aft underfloor compartment when you get to the park, if you don't want to carry in there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I have yet to decide if I'll take the gun on that trip. I am new to CC so it's not like I've been doing it for so long that I'm going to feel naked without it. That point will come, but not yet. With family and especially four rambunctious grandkids hanging around and even hanging on, especially within the park where it's safe enough, I probably don't want that extra concern of it being discovered and having to leave the park. Wonder if they'll let you back in if the gun is left in the car. Anyhow, if I do take it, I think I'll find a safe place in the car to leave it.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Just went through the same scenario with Universal in Orlando. Two day drive and wanted to be armed. I was concerned on carrying in the park. I just called Universal and asked them if they had safes on property for CCW permit holders. They told me yes just check in with security on the way in and they will take me back to a "safe room" and I will be given a key(the only one) to a personal safe to store my firearm. Why not try to call and ask them? At least you willknow where they stand on the issue and they might have safe storage for firearms.
    ccman likes this.

Dan- Take a gun with you on your trip. Whether you decide to carry in the park or not, you should be armed on the road for the drive coming and going. You have a family to protect.
    paching and ccman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Most hotels these days have in-room safes. You should be able to request a room with one so that you can safely store any valuables. The safes usually work off of a combination that you set when you close it, and resets when you open the safe. (Close the safe, enter code to lock; enter code to unlock, open safe- code is reset). Or, they go off of the magnetic stripe on your credit card- so only you, or someone with your card can open the safe in your room- but (at least at the places I stayed) there was NO CHARGE for using it. Might be different where you're going. I don't know.
    You might want to watch this video before you trust leaving any valuables in a hotel room safe.

How to Open a Hotel Safe - YouTube

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links