Pocket carry. Which prints more obviously? Auto or revolver? Opinions

This is a discussion on Pocket carry. Which prints more obviously? Auto or revolver? Opinions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been debating between a LCR 38 and a SIG P238 for pocket carry. The other day at my favorite pawn shop I slipped each ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Pocket carry. Which prints more obviously? Auto or revolver? Opinions

I've been debating between a LCR 38 and a SIG P238 for pocket carry. The other day at my favorite pawn shop I slipped each into my pocket for a test ride. Though the LCR was bigger. I felt the print looked less obviously gun like. Unlike the obvious "L" shape of the p238. What do you folks think?

A pocket holster will help greatly with breaking up the print on either, I don't like a wheel gun in the pocket, especially when sitting because of the cylinder bulge.

IMO a revolver doesn't look like a gun in the pocket... yeah it's bigger... but it just looks like a blob of 'something'... whereas the LCP or similar looks like you have a tiny gun in the pocket.
    LeftofMars likes this.

I use pocket holsters with an anti-print panel. Either the Desantis Superfly, or leather ones from www.hiddenholsters.net. The leather ones do a better job of looking like a wallet, but the soft Superfly is more comfortable, since it conforms more to the shape of your thigh, especially when seated (it feels less like a book in your pocket).

I like the flatter profile of a semi-auto pistol, along with the higher round count, better sights, less recoil, etc. I also find it much easier to carry a spare mag than a speed loader or speed strip (neither of which are actually "speedy").

Hope this is helpful. I dual pocket carry daily - Glock 26/PM9; or PM9/LCP; or dual LCPs...depending on the situation.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Pocket carry. Which prints more obviously? Auto or revolver?
    IMO, it depends on a couple elements: the quality of the design of the pocket holster; combined with the corners of the gun and how well they can be blended into the holster; combined with pants/pockets with sufficient room and correct angle/depth to support concealment.

Some guns are oh-so-sharp and wide enough that most any holster simply can't hide the big edges to the gun ... hence, an outline shows. Some guns are more rounded and/or not so wide, hence a well-designed holster can deal with those edges and end up blending them into the curve of the leg. The cylinder on a revolver is broader than most any semi-auto pistol, sure, but as some have mentioned it can look more like a chunky "blob" of something (ie, bunch of keys) than anything special.

I have carried a handful of various semi-auto pistols as well as a small S&W revolver in the pocket, each with a decent holster designed for max concealment. Mostly, I think good concealment of the flatness of the gun came down to quality design of the holster to turn the flatness into a curve that didn't look out of place with the leg/pants. In the case of the revolver, the design dealt with the added thickness of the cylinder and was properly curved to the leg (on the outside of the panel). In each case, the blend/shape was done well enough to hide it fairly well. Of course, it required pants/pockets with proper shape and sufficient volume to hold such an item. Invariably, pants not purchased with carry in mind (or ones fitting too tightly) wouldn't allow the holster to do its job.

The only way to know for sure is: when purchasing pants, try out a gun/holster combo to see how it works.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the comments so far. How does a revolver do in one of the "wallet" holsters?

In my own experience with pocket carry I have found that neither a semi or a wheel gun really look like a gun when carried in even a half decent pocket holster. They generally just look like something square in the pocket. So, that being said I prefer a small .380 as it's generally flatter and lighter.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

i pocket carry the lcr daily in a Desantis pocket holster,you can not see the outline of the gun at all..i don't own the sig 238 so i can't really say which one would be better for pocket carry? the sig does weigh more then the lcr and weight is a very important factor when pocket carrying..

Quote Originally Posted by SIGBarber View Post
    Thanks for the comments so far. How does a revolver do in one of the "wallet" holsters?
    Real well. I use the "Pocket Packer Premium" by Wild Bill's Concealment. With the optional snap-on panel, it looks like a wallet in my front pocket.
    Attached Images
    LeftofMars likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've pocket carried a 642 snub, an lcp and most often these days a pf9. I find all three to be very pocket carryable. The 2 autos ride in DeSantis pocket holsters and cut kind of a squared off profile but nothing that screams "gun". My 642 rides in a uncle mikes pocket holster that over time has pretty much molded itself to the shape of the gun. I can notice the cylinder bulge as it basically prints through the holster then through my pocket so I would say that my revolver in that holster prints more, but not to a point that it causes me any concern. Tighter jean pockets make this more noticeable than say my khakis I wear for work every day.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Minimum "wheel bulge" with a Rhino --- Plus other great features
    Chiappa Firearms

I IWB (tuckable) a S&W 642 and no printing.. Much depends on the weapon, what holster, where its carried (3 -6 etc., o'clock) and body makeup.

I use an inexpensive holster that works great...
    https://acecase.com/mix-match-leathe...ludes-s-h.html
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I use an Uncle Mikes when i pocket carry my S&W360. Just looks like a blob in the pocket. Cheap holster that works really well.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I pocket carry a S&W 642 or 637 every day. The one thing not mentioned here is that it will depend to a large degree on the style of your clothing. If you are skinny and wear close fitting clothing, the very small (LCP, KELTEC P series, etc) autos will probably blend better. If you wear a more loose (not baggy) style of dress the small revolver will conceal well. I have never favored real tight fitting clothing so the revolver works well for me.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I have a LCP in my pocket as we speak with a pocket holster and it looks like you have a wallet in your front pocket when wearing jeans. With slacks it is not noticeable and with shorts with decent pockets it is also unnoticeable. This is my summer carry and during fall/winter I carry my M&P 9c IWB.

I should note that I am a thinner build guy 6' 165-170 pounds

VIP Member
    I carry an LCP or a j frame. No one but I can tell, folks are just plain unobsevant. The j bulges more, but the outline is well broken up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links