Urgent help, traveling from NC to Md/dc

This is a discussion on Urgent help, traveling from NC to Md/dc within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, hope you all are doing well! This afternoon my fiancé and I will be traveling from nc to Bethesda Maryland for a wedding ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Urgent help, traveling from NC to Md/dc

Hey guys, hope you all are doing well! This afternoon my fiancé and I will be traveling from nc to Bethesda Maryland for a wedding in DC tomorrow. I know that all of the states we will be in honor our NC permits except MD and DC obviously. I however cannot find a clear law/statute regarding transporting a firearm in md. I've searched high and low and have had no luck! Anyone with some first hand knowledge or experience care to help me out???? And just so I'm clear, our hotel is in Maryland so our firearms will stay there, and will not enter dc at any point!!! Thanks guys
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth. - George Washington
    Keeping it "on the square"

I am from NC and am in MD right now. My guns are all at home. MD is nearly as bad as DC for law-abiding gun owner harrassment. Once you stay overnight, you are no longer protected by federal interstate transportation laws.

If I want to take my firearm along, I stay in VA, lock the gun in either my car or hotel room, take Metro into DC, then back to VA and their sane concealed carry laws.

Do what you want, but I am in the same predicament today, and chose to leave my ccw at home in NC as I am forced to be in MD for meetings. Normally, I just stay in VA. If you have the option, stay in VA, lock up your firearm, and take the Metro into DC sans your ccw. If you don't have the option to stay at a VA hotel near a Metro (there are MANY), my RECOMMENDATION (I am NOT a lawyer) is to leave your guns at home if you want to avoid potentially losing your rights and even some freedom.
    RayBar likes this.

VIP Member
    Here is the best source of info I know of. No longer have passport so I do not go north of Virgina.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf
    MadMac likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

A traveler without a Maryland permit may not carry a hand gun on foot or in a vehicle in a loaded or readiy accessable manner. But he may transport an unloaded handgun in a secure case if he is traveling to a recognized shooting competition,bonafide gun show,hunting exercise,or some other gun related event. Magazines may remain loaded as long as they are not attached to, or inserted into, any handgun. Travelers passing through the state may transport inaccessable handguns even if they are not traveling to one of these events. The weapons must be unloaded, cased and, either stowed in the trunk,or locked in a case if the vehicle has no trunk. Travelers guide to the firearm laws of the fifty States 2012 edition.

Heres some info for DC.Travelers to D.C. are prohibited from carrying any firearm into the district in a concealed manner. Any ammunition possession is also banned. D.C.law was recently modified to allow the transport of firearms and ammunition through the district. The firearms must be unloaded,cased and locked in the trunk,in a vehicle without a trunk,secured in a locked container ( other than a glove box or console box). They must also be separated from any extraneous ammunition. The traveler may not stop anywhere in the district or his "passing through status" will cease to exist and his firearms may be subject to seizure. Again,Travelers guide to firearm laws of the fifty States 2012.

What MadMac said.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Thanks for the info! I wish i could stay in va but the hotel was already booked for us......we'll be traviling late at night, and the idea of not having my firearm worries me......
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth. - George Washington

VIP Member
    I avoid MD and DC at all cost. I would say carry is not an option, even to a hotel room. I think if I were forced to go to either place, I might have a flare up of an old football knee injury, that would force me to pull out my heavy walking stick again.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You have received some sound advice except for one tidbit. I suggest you never lock your firearm in a motel room. Too easy to forget it and then you will have a huge problem as someone visiting NYC recently discovered. My strong suggestion is that you either leave it at home or keep locked in the trunk so long as you are in MD or DC.

Too bad you're not staying in Va. But since you're staying in MD and visiting DC leave your firearms at home. Even pepper spray can be a problem on DC.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

NCG
    I'm in NC heading up o MD/DC to visit family and then up to NYC for a couple of days. As soon as my wife mentioned Maryland, I knew the firearms would be staying home.

Thanks for helping me make an informed decision....it's really sad that I even have to worry about where I can and can't carry a firearm, seeing as how I've jumped through the hoops in nc already. Regardless, thanks again! And all you Maryland folks, it's time to get on the ball to make your state more friendly to us outsiders!

Quote Originally Posted by rockerff View Post
    Hey guys, hope you all are doing well! This afternoon my fiancé and I will be traveling from nc to Bethesda Maryland for a wedding in DC tomorrow. I know that all of the states we will be in honor our NC permits except MD and DC obviously. I however cannot find a clear law/statute regarding transporting a firearm in md. I've searched high and low and have had no luck! Anyone with some first hand knowledge or experience care to help me out???? And just so I'm clear, our hotel is in Maryland so our firearms will stay there, and will not enter dc at any point!!! Thanks guys
    while FOPA would allow you to carry your guns THROUGH md, the fact that MD is your destination means that for you to be legal you'll have to either leave your guns at home or find someone in VA to store them for you while you are in MD

Quote Originally Posted by NCG View Post
    I'm in NC heading up o MD/DC to visit family and then up to NYC for a couple of days. As soon as my wife mentioned Maryland, I knew the firearms would be staying home.
    FWIW:
    NY does not honor other states permits.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    while FOPA would allow you to carry your guns THROUGH md, the fact that MD is your destination means that for you to be legal you'll have to either leave your guns at home or find someone in VA to store them for you while you are in MD
    This is correct. I live in Bethesda. You have no FOPA protection if MD is your destination. Leave your guns at home. I have attached some AG opinions to illustrate my advice. Additonally, IIRC there is no definitive case law or statute on whether a hotel room can be considered your home.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by swinokur; June 2nd, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
    JD likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links